No announcement yet.

Hyrule Warriors - WiiU review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played it for 12 minutes, bored, on to Ebay methinks.... Also compared to MK8 graphically it feels dated

Comment

Originally posted by jim g View Post
      Played it for 12 minutes, bored, on to Ebay methinks.... Also compared to MK8 graphically it feels dated
      Yeah about an hour played total, sold it - it's awful. Nintendo don't deserve to shift any consoles with this quick and dirty rip off. At least Bayonetta 2 is out next month.

Comment

To be fair I don't think anyone is buying a Wii U for this and Nintendo didn't make it.

Comment

I had absolutely no interest in it at all, but i love zelda so thought bugger it, if only to play for a few mins i'd like to see some of the zelda references... But surprisingly I'm actually having quite a bit of fun with it :-)

I used to love classic side-scrolling beat'em ups and this remains me of them, only in 3D and fighting Zelda creatures.

I hated the first 30minutes to be honest, but once i got to grips with what i'm supposed to do, how to control and manage the battlefield - i'm finding that i'm constantly on the look out for keeps to attack/defend while also on the look out for potential enemy threats making their way around the maps. There's not much too it, but for what it is i'm having a blast with it.

I do think the environments look absolutely awful overall, however its clear a lot of respect and effort went into the characters themselves.

So yeah... Pleasantly surprised. In short bursts it's kinda fun.
          Last edited by Adam Stone; 21-09-2014, 18:41.
          ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

"I played it for an hour - 3/10!"

Btw. this game definitely benefits from local co-op. Great fun with a friend so play it if you can. It's a great idea that one player can play on the TV and the other one on the gamepad, I wish more games would use it. Also, play on Hard for some challenge.

Comment

Guts, whats the performance like for co-op? Does the visual quality take a big hit?

I dont have anyone to play on co-op sadly :-( - My buddies at work have no interest in this, which is a shame as its pretty fun.

Gutted I missed out on the Ocarina of Time skins, now. Wish there was a way to get hold of them
              ----Member since April 2002

http://www.redbubble.com/people/adamstone

Comment

I think the resolution is lower and the draw distance for the enemies appearing is shorter. There are also probably less enemies on screen at the same time than in single player, but there are still plenty enough to mow down.

I can see that this could start to get boring if played alone (I'm not a Dynasty Warrior fan by any means), but another player adds a whole lot more fun in there as you can plan who takes which keeps and both do your own thing or just double team against tougher bosses etc. It's also the perfect game to just talk crap while feeling like a bad ass and dispatching entire armies quite casually.
                Last edited by Guts; 21-09-2014, 19:19.

Comment

Looking back on the earlier post I made a couple of days ago, I want to retract most of it. This game has completely clicked for me.

Yesterday I finished my initial playthrough of the story mode (Legend), and I was having a lot of fun. In the last levels the fights don't seem quite so easy so there's actually some accomplishment to be found. But then, I realised just how much sheer content there is in this game. Redoing each Legend level on Hard nets you more bonuses (though it requires you playing with specific characters - great to try out the different movesets), and there's Heart Containers/Pieces to be found in each level too. But that's really peanuts compared to the Adventure mode, which is a very fleshed-out mission mode presented on a charming 8-bit Zelda map. Adventure mode unlocks a ton more content, including new weapons for characters (which play as differently as different characters do), new characters, and helps you net the materials you need to be filling out all those skill trees (of which there are tons). Then there's Challenge mode, wich is so hard I can't even beat the first level. AND EVEN THEN there's DLC on the horizon for a staggering amount of EVEN MORE CONTENT (some of which is free!).

I also tried playing the first Legend level on Hero difficulty, and fighting the King Dodongo felt like playing Monster Hunter given how slowly its health was dropping and how much damage it did.

Once you get over the nothing story and that the combat isn't deep but is varied enough to remain fun and fresh, there is SO much fun to be had here. I enjoy the Zelda series but I'm no fanatic, and I'd never played a DW game before, but I'd still give this a solid 8/10. It may not have the technical prowess or depth that most 9/10 or 10/10 games boast but I'll be damned if it isn't more fun than a lot of games that get those scores.

Comment

Started this up at the weekend, it represents my fourth attempt at trying out a Warriors based game so fairly wary. Struggled at first as there's little more to it on first impression than holding the stick down and mashing X. After a bit though I got more into it, certainly the best of the Warriors games I've tried and it runs smoothly enough even when a lot is on screen. A few Legends levels in and boredom started to set in though as it's phenomenally repetitive. Gonna give it another go but it needs to show me something other than X mashing

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                      Started this up at the weekend, it represents my fourth attempt at trying out a Warriors based game so fairly wary. Struggled at first as there's little more to it on first impression than holding the stick down and mashing X. After a bit though I got more into it, certainly the best of the Warriors games I've tried and it runs smoothly enough even when a lot is on screen. A few Legends levels in and boredom started to set in though as it's phenomenally repetitive. Gonna give it another go but it needs to show me something other than X mashing
                      nip over to RLLMUK and they think its the second coming.....

Comment

Perhaps worth a punt when it falls to a bargain-bin price?

Comment

I've found it got better about 6-7 levels in. Challenge went up a decent amount and it needed more strategy. Pretty good. Price will probably fall soon unlike most other Nintendo games.

Comment

I played this about 8 hours yesterday lol and immediately bought the big DLC pack with the 2 current ones and the 2 to come.

I've played a fair amount of Musou games from FOTNS to Gundam to One Piece and while they are all fine, they never keep me glued to them, this on the other hand i think is fantastic. Who would have thought Zelda as a franchise would make so much sense in this type of game!

While it is a musou game i really find it to be more of a character Action/Adventure game. For 1 it plays really well, there always a ton of enemies on screen ( something that NinetyNineNights did so well and no other game has done since imo ) and all your combos and moves you unlock are just really cool and so satisfying every time you land them. Just giving each character 2 or 3 weapons to choose from really adds variety and like i said the moves that comes out ( espeicially from things like the fire rod and Lanas Deku staff ) are just seriously good fun to watch and execute.

It looks really nice too, to be honest the Hyrule Field which is the first level isn't that great but i really think the games gets prettier as it goes on and it's great to see stuff from OOT, TP and SS all done in HD. Sadly the 2player game ( 1 on TV, 1 on gamepad ) really drops the gfx quality, the framerate stays solid which is nice buy it really removes a lot of the polish and a game like this really isn't fun on a tiny screen.

Also there's tons to do, i have just about finished legend mode which was a good jaunt but i haven't even touched Adventure mode which is supposed to be huge and the DLC has just added more and more! Also every character levels up and you can unlock badges, mix potions, lots to do!

One last thing i was really surprised with was just on boot up and updating i got a ton of new characters and weapons which was very nice!

Overall really really enjoying it, it gives you that Zelda hit without having to sit down and do a 40 hour RPG.

Comment

I've got this game recently but wasn't able to spend much time with it until yesterday. I have to say that I REALLY like it so far. The missions take anywhere from 20 to 40 minutes in my tempo and I've played through a whole bunch of them in one sitting, something not a lot of games can convince me to do.

I have to admit, I can understand not liking this game if you're not a fan of Dynasty Warriors, but if you like those games and are interested in the Zelda lore, you'll love this one. It has so many throwbacks to the core games, lots of collectibles and unlockables to keep you busy, a pretty good roster of playable characters (including the villains such as a Wizzrobe and Ganondorf himself). It's just plain fun really and the standard enemies do get a bit more daring the further you get in the story so they'll attack more and cancel your charge attacks

Comment

Working...
                              X