Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is a super bargain.

Comment

I signed up at a pound, it was due to end tomorrow but im keeping it now for sure .

Comment

I wasn't going to bother with SoT, so this is pretty great.
        I'd noticed they had added some nice stuff to games pass recently, but this will tip me over the edge.

Comment

Is this just for in house titles?

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
            Is this just for in house titles?
            So far, I imagine going forward that games will have to be budgeted with this in mind.
            It works on PC too as long as it's a play anywhere title.

Makes you wonder if EA might join in too, as they are most of the way there with EA Access.

Comment

I don’t see how anyone would benefit financially from this other than MS.

Comment

It's a good move for consumers

Crackdown , Sea of thieves and State of Decay , Forza Horizon 4 and some other games this year all covered by the sub?

Sounds good to me as I would have bought two or 3 of those.

Hopefully this will change the way that games are funded and pitched, much in the way that the streaming TV services have resulted in some really great TV that was too risky for the US networks to allow unfiltered
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 23-01-2018, 19:42.

Comment

It's a great move.
                  Man, imagine if the Xbox One of today was what they launched with? *sigh*

I've gone from letting my Live subscription lapse to contemplating renewing and joining the Games Pass scheme.

I'll probably want to play online on SoT, but if I didn't, can I just get the Game Pass or is it an additional service to Live subscribers?

I can imagine Sea of Thieves will really benefit from the extra players.

Comment

Great, great move.

Game pass was already good value but I didn't take it up as I've got a large amount of the 100 games on offer... But for those people where Xbox isn't their first platform it means they can delve in each month and sample the exclusives without full purchases. It also means those games should see a boost in online community numbers which is often a big issue as weeks roll by after launch.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                      It's a great move.
                      Man, imagine if the Xbox One of today was what they launched with? *sigh*

I've gone from letting my Live subscription lapse to contemplating renewing and joining the Games Pass scheme.

I'll probably want to play online on SoT, but if I didn't, can I just get the Game Pass or is it an additional service to Live subscribers?

I can imagine Sea of Thieves will really benefit from the extra players.
                      Gold and game pass are still separate things and the rules still apply. As far as I'm aware Sea of Thieves is an online game, there is no singleplayer (although you can take to the Seas in a small ship on your own)

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                        It's a good move for consumers

Crackdown , Sea of thieves and State of Decay , Forza Horizon 4 and some other games this year all covered by the sub?

Sounds good to me as I would have bought two or 3 of those.

Hopefully this will change the way that games are funded and pitched, much in the way that the streaming TV services have resulted in some really great TV that was too risky for the US networks to allow unfiltered
                        Says consumers. If MS turned round to devs and said your all going in this program and will get a payout based on your downloads (like Spotify) then they will have no one making games for their console.

I see this lasting a year when MS discover they are loosing money over first compared to exclusively selling the games.

Or, people purchasing the games get so pissed off with it they have to pull the sub thing.

Comment

If MS turned round to devs and said your all going in this program and will get a payout based on your downloads (like Spotify) then they will have no one making games for their console.
                          Well yeah...
                          Activision aren't going to put COD on there day one at no charge, Take 2 aren't going to put RDR2 on there at no charge.
                          Not a chance in hell.

It's in the same league of implausibility as Disney launching the Avengers only on Netflix and not in cinemas.
                          Also, nobody forced anybody to go on Spotify, I'm sure Ed Sheeran is crying himself to sleep each night in his huge pile of money.

At the moment , exclusive games are used for nothing else than to sell more consoles, which is why their marketing budgets eclipse the cost of the games themselves.
                          With this move, Microsoft will be using their own exclusives, to sell this platform, a platform which appears to offer huge value, just as Netflix does.
                          The model is almost identical to Netflix and as far as I'm aware that has not done film studios any harm, they are still raking it in. For consumers, the level and quality of some of the content that Netflix and Amazon has funded for their services is just as good, if not better than much of the content that has passed through the risk averse hands of TV executives.

Comment

I see this lasting a year when MS discover they are loosing money over first compared to exclusively selling the games..
                            I suppose it depends on whether people maintain a subscription; when you sign up it automatically subscribes you. I couldn't find a way of cancelling that via the Xbox dashboard and had to do so via the website (I got a month for £1).

At £8 a month I don't think it's worth it with the ancient old games that are currently on there, many of which have been given away with Games with Gold. However, new releases make it more worthwhile, but I wouldn't maintain a subscription, I'd simply pay the £8 for a month when the game is released, get my fill and sack if off. Thus saving £42.

I haven't read the fine print, but I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft attach caveats, such as having to have a maintained subscription of more than a month to qualify, similarly to how GiffGaff give you free GG-to-GG calls if you maintain a monthly payment.
                            Last edited by MartyG; 24-01-2018, 07:24.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                              Gold and game pass are still separate things and the rules still apply. As far as I'm aware Sea of Thieves is an online game, there is no singleplayer (although you can take to the Seas in a small ship on your own)
                              Thanks, Boris.
                              As a primarily solo gamer, I imagine I'd end up with just Game Pass, potentially, but I might treat myself for Sea of Thieves.
                              (Although I'm secretly going to hint to my friend at Rare I now have an Xbox One...)

Comment

Also worth noting that when you subscribe to Game Pass you get 20% off games that are in game pass if you wish to purchase, 10% off dlc.

Comment

Working...
                                X