No announcement yet.

PCs and Steam: Thread 01

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know I've probably bored everyone enough with this, but a quick picture of my new Laptop which turned up on Friday.

Overall the performance drop off is only really noticeable with the SSHD on this versus my old SSD for games but it isn't bad enough to be an issue. One negative is that it isn't quiet. Even when idling the fans are audible and can be irritating. First time I've used a variable refresh rate tech (in this case G-Sync) and wow, very impressed. Since 2012 I've had a couple of high refresh rate monitors and avoided G-Sync due to the high cost but have to say it's really impressive to see in person.

One thing I did do was cost this laptop up as desktop PC on OCUK using the same components this laptop has (i.e. same Samsung NVMe, Barracuda SSHD drive etc.). Obviously a desktop will have differences in some components but I used a i5 8600K, cheapest Nvidia 1070, cheapest RAM and cheapest case I could find. The desktop comes in at the same price being £3 more expensive. And that didn't include the cost of Windows. I know OEM PCs were the way to go when the mining craze was at full tilt but again I thought that illustrated how crazy PC Component prices are and how much development has gone into mobile technology. For the 20+ years I've been PC gaming Laptop were always more expensive, for less or slower technology. It was the price you paid for mobility.

Comment

Nice. Take those stickers off next.

Comment

I see people with them still left on their monitors, TVs, washing machines etc. winds me up!!!

Comment

Yeah, me too. Had the black i5 sticker on my ThinkPad still until I put an i7 in it though.

My 1060 arrived the other day. Played a bunch of Overwatch yesterday and it performed very well. Fan doesn't spin at idle too, which is nice. Dinky little thing. Thinking that I'm probably gonna upgrade my motherboard to something built a bit better soon. Z77 would give me USB3 natively and pci-e 3.0 too.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
            I see people with them still left on their monitors, TVs, washing machines etc. winds me up!!!
            How else will people know what cool stuff is inside them?

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
              Nice. Take those stickers off next.
              Was going to leave them. Think my last laptop (c. 2004/05) I left them on. Most secondhand Laptops seem to have them left on.

But yes stickers should come off TVs, Washing machines etc.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              Fan doesn't spin at idle too, which is nice.
              My desktop 980Ti and 1080 were the same (and I assume this 1070 is). Luckily I knew in advance otherwise I would have thought they were broken. It is awesome and I'm not sure if AMD cards are the same.

Comment

Yeah my 970 didn't either. GPUs having different power states was a nice development indeed, my 8800 GTX would idle at 60c. lol

Comment

I don't come in here very often, so sorry if this has been posted:

Comment

Well, I've somehow jumped a few steps and ended up with a 1070 Ti. Clearly an ex mining card but that doesn't concern me, and the seller said they'd perform the RMA procedure if ever it needed it. At £300 less than what Nvidia will be asking for a 2070 I think this will tide me over for 1080p. Runs Overwatch like butter at the Epic preset.

Comment

Nice. Are you turning into a cardaholic?

EDIT: Can't type.
                      Last edited by Digfox; 06-09-2018, 08:36.

Comment

Well I've owned about 20 video cards in the past 13 years, that's probably higher than average.

Comment

I've never added up all the graphics card I've owned but suspect it's quite a few. I think for most GPU's might be the most upgraded component. I've had CPUs, PSUs and Soundcards go for 5-7 years+. But I'd guess my average upgrade on GPU's is probably 12-18 months. I'm hoping my recent laptop purchases breaks me out of that a bit.

Comment

2!
                            And two years in on my GTX1080 it should easily see another 2-3 before upgrading

Comment

Yeah, I think I have only ever bought two graphics cards separate to what came with my computers. Although aside from my very first computer that I paid for myself, I have always gone for fairly decent cards. Never top of the range but always very capable.

Comment

RTX benchmarks are out. Took this little thingy from Bitwit, shows a good boost in performance at the higher resolutions for the new card/s.

At 1080p though? Negligible if you're on a 1080 Ti.

Comment

Working...
                                X