Velocity 2X (PS4/Vita) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Velocity 2X (PS4/Vita) review

So we're all* playing this and nobody is talking about it!

The game is divided into two play styles - top-down shooter and metroid-esque sprinter. The trademark telewarp function is present in both styles, although on foot it is extremely limited - basically one wall immediately ahead of you. There are 50 levels (and looks like some DLC will be incoming too), and the most any of my PSN friends have down is LebDude on 30. I've done 6 but had to go back to try and get better times.

Which is what it's all about really. You can challenge your friends from within the game to beat your time and place higher overall. Some levels I really can't see how people have the scores they do, but I guess that comes with practice. I've only been playing the PS4 version but wouldn't expect the Vita one to differ.

Great for the fad game of the week, probably won't get played much after the initial couple of days.

*those of us with a PS4 console and/or PS+
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I wanted to download it last night just to get some ****ing use out of the PS4, but PSN was down. Will give it a bash later today.

Comment

It is fun and the levels I've seen so far are pretty short so replayingthem is more fun than a chore. Teleporting button configuration could have been more flowing/easy in some way.
      Running levels reminded me of Strider on PS4 - but without the enemies (so far anyway).
      Bit miffed my scores don't seem to show up on the online leaderboards for some reason. Only my level one score was showing last night.

Not sure if I would have paid full price for it.

Comment

It takes time to update scores. I pwned you all on one level yesterday and kept checking...but my score didn't update online...
        The teleporting and shooting on foot feels a little too tough, they should have mapped the teleport to L1 so you don't have to keep shifting your thumb from the R stick to Square.

Comment

Really enjoying this, so far it's worth nothing that on the vita you can tap where you want to move via the touch screen makes the teleporting much quicker for me.

Comment

That sounds brilliant (touch to teleport). I played this on PS4 but I reckon Vita is a better fit anyway.

Comment

I got the scores to upload quicker by syncing my trophies. could just be coincidence of course. some nice scores kryss and others. Seems time is the main element to a high score to me others just bump it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                That sounds brilliant (touch to teleport). I played this on PS4 but I reckon Vita is a better fit anyway.
                It was like that on Velocity Ultra as well. Seems a little unfair to PS4 players though.

Comment

I beat about 30 levels and this game is really good. The level design really shines once you can place teleports at branching paths. Its clever but you can get stuck in a level if you forgot to place a teleport. You hit a dead end and you'll need to restart the level without the game telling you. But since levels take max. 4 minutes (if you're really slow) its no problem. They're somewhat easy to memorize because of this, which is great for score attack.

Especially like the music of this game.

Comment

It always places a Tele-port at the start of a map so you can go back and zoom straight through to the point you where up to without having to completely restart, this will bugger up your chance of finishing with a good time though.

I'm up to level 45 so far and with 5 levels to go its started to force replays of earlier levels to grind xp. increasing longevity this way sucks. If you haven't got a lot of bronze times and haven't, rescued all the survivors on every level you will have to go back, from level 40 onwards. Finishing a level dose not guarantee the next one will open, I would have preferred to have seen all the levels before being forced back to the start.

So its gone off a bit for me speed running the early stages is great fun when you have a target of 45 seconds as it doesn't take long to learn the level, the biggest problem im gonna have is the 4+ minute levels as its impossible to tell if your on pace or not.
                    Last edited by Lebowski; 10-09-2014, 16:03.

Comment

Its a bit glaring. I think I beat the first 13 or so levels with Perfects, yet I have to grind to open up the levels from 43 onward.

Comment

Not played this for a while, but some decent tips on how to improve times and scores here

Comment

Working...
                        X