No announcement yet.

Metro 2033 Redux review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Played a good few hours of Last Light last night. Really enjoying it although I am not playing it "properly".

Chose the mode where you have to conserve resources but as I suck at stealth it means I been found alot and have killed everyone so far. This also means I have plenty of corpses to loot, so I have more ammo than I can use and now can just go kill crazy! So the only way it is differing from the action based mode is that I will get a gold trophy instead of a silver

Playing with the headset 2.0 on really adds to the atmosphere too.

Comment

Had this on Thursday,love the atmosphere,lighting is great and as Loftgroover has mention,the 2.0 headphone work really well

Comment

Gave it a quick try... tried to play in ranger mode but not knowing the buttons didn't help. I couldn't figure out how to put on my gas mask :/

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
          Had this on Thursday,love the atmosphere,lighting is great and as Loftgroover has mention,the 2.0 headphone work really well
          Was a monster running around behind me taking my attention...then another popped out of a hole in front of me and I had a heart attack

Has me looking at a proper surround system for the game room now. How I've put up with standard TV speakers for so long I have no idea!!

Comment

Been playing 2033 on the Xbox. Good so far but haven't gotten that far into it. Had the same problem with the sensitivity, way too low on default. Mine is now set on full and to me it's what normal should have been!

Comment

The game certainly improves a few chapters in, I think I'm on four or five now and it's a much better game than it was at the start.

The game just isn't very good when it chucks a load of those mutants at you (the first enemies you see), thankfully there seems to be less of that now.

Comment

Have they fixed the game breaking bug in Last Light where you stealth an enemy and it freezes? Had to redo loads on the PS3 version due to that.

Comment

I finished 2033 on PS4 yesterday, I had played the first few hours on 360 before giving up. What a nice game! I enjoyed the combat and was glad to have some more ammo available this time. The level design was not that new, but the graphical design and art direction were awesome! Terrible voice acting, and an average story. All in all a solid FPS that kept my interest. A solid 7/10. Graphically, WOWOW! It looks incredible! I've played an hour of last light, and that looks even better.

I'm so glad to play this game a near PC settings, and now I understand what the fuss was about. The lighting system is just ridiculous. Brilliant stuff. These levels of quality at 1080/60 were my hope for PS4. Looking forward to finishing last light now.

Comment

The trick to avoid the terrible voice acting is to switch the voice language to Russian, which you can do from the main menu.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      The trick to avoid the terrible voice acting is to switch the voice language to Russian, which you can do from the main menu.
                      GREAT Tip! Thanks

Comment

Whilst everybody else has moved onto Destiny I'm still skulking around in the Metro on my own. I'm done with Metro 2033 and a couple of hours into Last Light.

For a well-respected FPS, my first impressions of 2033 were something of a disappointment. The introduction is a frantic mess and the following hours were a mix of more frantic action with some lengthy slow scene setters. The pacing itself wasn't an issue (in fact the pacing throughout is actually pretty good), it's just that everything about the game feels awkward. The gunplay feels poor, weapons don't feel like they are doing anything and aim sensitivity is far too low, and the characters are stiff and poorly acted, making it difficult to connect with these opening hours.

About a third of the way through the game it settles down and it slowly begins to shine. Once it calms down, the gunplay improves no end - cat and mouse chases through the darkness as you stalk enemy humans one minute and run away from enemy mutants the next. The quirky gameplay mechanics may seem like a gimmick - having to frequently hunt for and change gas mask filters and charge your battery - but they do add a surprising amount to the game. By the end of the game, the setting and the atmosphere become really rather impressive. The graphics, in particular the lighting engine, just gets better and better.

I wouldn't say Metro2033 is a great game, but I did enjoy it and glad I stuck with it through the weak opening.

After reaching the credits, I went straight into the sequel, Last Light. First of all, it's really nice how they've altered both games so they both play in exactly the same way - exactly the same prompts, controls and feel. It may make Last Light feel less of a sequel and more of a continuation, but in the context of this double pack it works well.

Secondly, and more importantly, the game immediately seems better. Last Light looks excellent and the amount of detail in the landscape is really rather impressive, the whole look and feel is a real achievement. Despite being a 'last gen' game (loosely), this is one of the more impressive titles I've seen on the One. And despite the controls and interface matching the original, the gameplay is improved - gunplay is tighter and meatier (the silenced pistol is one of the best of its type...and my god, that shotgun) and the set-pieces more ambitious and better realised.

Early days, but this appears to be a much better game than Metro.

The Redux package was released a bit too late in the year and is in danger of being swallowed up by the big titles, but if you get a lot of good content for your money with this and it's well worth a look.

Comment

I did exactly the same as you and have the same sentiments, but decided to wait a While to carry on with last light. Destiny has my attention currently

Comment

I'm really enjoying these games, especially playing through to try and get the good endings. Fourth playthrough, 3 on xbox 360 and one on ps4, it's great how they've remade 2033, and I'm hoping to platinum it eventually before starting last light. Destiny can do one.

Comment

Yay! I have got the 'proper' ending and the enlightened trophy at last! My save corrupted half way through and I had to start again, so on my fifth or sixth playthrough on various consoles, I now have done what I've always wanted to do on this game, just a few more trophies and one more playthrough and then last light here I come. What a fantastic game, the way they've re imagined the metro 2033 original is fantastic! Especially on outpost where the wind is howling and the clouds are blowing across and buffeting you about whilst you try to aim weapons. Stunning.

Comment

Platinum! Onto last light, which I'm really looking forward to as my plays through 2033 number around six in total across two platforms! Only played LL once on ps3,so I'm really looking forward to it and I expect it'll look a bit better than the prequel too.

Comment

Working...
                                X