Little Things that Irk You 4Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
    "Charity" is not one big pot everyone gets a piece of though. It's awesome you donate to African kids. Doesn't help people with motor neuron disease any more than my Dog's Trust donations do. But this ice bucket thing does and it's working.
    True.
    It does seem to have morphed into a "donate to whoever the person that nominated you suggested". Most of the ones I've seen this week have not been for motor neuron.
    I get loads of people on my feed doing real challenges - I've donated to 10+ different people and thus different charities so far this year (in addition to my chosen standing orders).

I wonder what the next one to do the rounds will be.

Comment

Pamela Anderson refused to do the challenge because part of the money will be spent experimenting on animals. They also use embryonic stem cells as part of their research (instead of adult stem cells).

Comment

I'm irked that it's 9am already and I've only just woken up. Seems like a waste of morning.

Comment

Too early to argue. Need to get back to makin dat funny moneh. Dat Justin Beiber money. Shiz.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            I wonder what the next one to do the rounds will be.
            If I haven't already suggested it here: Irritable Bowel Syndrome.

The IBS Diarrhea Bucket Challenge.

Comment

I do have to admit, with charitable drives like these it does raise my sense of caution. The Pamela Anderson rejection is a good reflection of why. I've worked for a charity and dealt with others for many, many years now and it is a literal mine field in terms of finding worthy causes. It's one of the most messy and frankly unregulated sectors going. The amount of money that is wasted would dwarf the donations gained by the challenge. Assuming Anderson is fully correct about the animal testing, how many participants also give to animal charities? It's a pain giving to causes you agree with whilst avoiding ones you don't.

Comment

pc home printers....they are the most unreliable fickle pieces of rubbish i have ever come across i have never come across a printed that has lasted a long time

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                  pc home printers....they are the most unreliable fickle pieces of rubbish i have ever come across i have never come across a printed that has lasted a long time
                  You probably mean inkjet printers. Utter garbage yep!
                  I got a ?50 B&W laser. I can leave it for months and when I want to print it just does, immediately with no clogged this or dried out that.

Comment

Yeah, during uni I was so close to buying a mono laserjet. One of my uncles did and never went back to inkjets. Losing colour is a small price to pay(realistically, how many things do we print that actually need colour?)

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                    If someone nominates me, would it be ok to turn around and say, actually I have a standing order to several charities on a monthly basis and pay for a child's education and clothes in Africa, so I don't need to be challenged to donate to charity.
                    The best thing you can do is stick to your guns. DT's right in that your money isn't going specifically to ALS but ALS will taper off soon. Paying for that child's lifestyle won't. Huge lumps sums are great but regular charitable donations mean a consistent stream of money is coming in.

Comment

People are starting to air brush their own Facebook pictures, times are dark indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                        I am skeptical of anything like the ice bucket challenge because it feels like a test of conformity or social experiment. BUT it has raised a serious amount of money for charities that historically have not been well supported, has massively increased awareness of ALS/MND which I will confess to having known next to nothing about and all that can only be a good thing as far as I'm concerned. I was nominated and I did it and I donated.

Well now ALS are trying to trademark the ice bucket challenge now......that really irked me

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
                          You probably mean inkjet printers. Utter garbage yep!
                          I got a ?50 B&W laser. I can leave it for months and when I want to print it just does, immediately with no clogged this or dried out that.
                          Always thought this was the way to go and it seems it is.

Comment

Jobsbridge here in ireland i appreciate the basic idea a work placement scheme but it has a fatal flaw. You work 40hrs a week for 9 months and you only get a extra 50 euro a week on the basic welfare less then the min wage. So many companys are using it as cheap labour and not taking on fulltime full pay staff

Comment

Originally posted by eastyy View Post
                              Well now ALS are trying to trademark the ice bucket challenge now......that really irked me
                              I'm glad. Otherwise a whole bunch of charities will try and do ice bucket challenges.

Imagine how boring it'd be if everyone just jogged for charity. No brovembers, no dudes waxing their balls, no naked receptionists. Just videos of people jogging.

Comment

What irks me most about the ice bucket challenge is that it's not really a challenge
                                This gets me too! Throughout winter I'm out on the ocean rowing my heart out in freezing conditions - having scraped the ice off the boat before hitting the water (ice boat challenge?) - when I get home I'm so cold I can't feel my feet for hours. It's probably not good for me but I do it week in and week out, all year round.

Exactly as the man says, I will happily give money to someone who is really pushing themselves. It doesn't matter if you are running across Europe or running 10k as it depends on what condition you started at, but if you're pushing yourself to your limit then you've deserve a donation. Bucket of water over the head...eh.

Comment

Working...
                                X