No announcement yet.

The Purge 2 : Grammarpocalypse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not excuse hunting! I should of known theird be someone that didn't beleive me.

Comment

I turned off all assists on the ipad. They were all useless. But Swiftkey on Android: that is a marvel of awesomeness. Sometimes I can do whole sentences just pressing one key for each word.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
        I turned off all assists on the ipad. They were all useless. But Swiftkey on Android: that is a marvel of awesomeness. Sometimes I can do whole sentences just pressing one key for each word.
        This. A thousand times this.

Comment

What is especially frustrating about the autocorrect on the iPad is that it learns from your typos. So often my iPad will insert a random letter 'a' because the a is right by the shift key and I have pressed it so often by mistake that my iPad thinks this is something I like to do.

Comment

Can you hold down the suggestion to clear it?

Comment

No, unfortunately. Often spellings show up as suggestions but some just autocorrect and don't even ask, such as changing well to we'll or hell to he'll and the addition of the random a.

Comment

I think the only way of 'editing' the iOS dictionary is to completely clear it and start over. It does make an awful lot of erroneous corrections, they need to revise it to mirror the way Android does things. It's much better.

Comment

How does Android avoid the same pitfalls?

Comment

By users disabling auto-correct altogether?

Comment

Using words in another language or names not recognised can be a complete bitch on android.

Comment

Surely this place needs less in the way of nitpicking each others posts, not more?

On the subject of android, if I turned off the auto correct my sausage fingers would render everything I type unreadable

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          No, unfortunately. Often spellings show up as suggestions but some just autocorrect and don't even ask, such as changing well to we'll or hell to he'll and the addition of the random a.
                          Mine always shows me the floating correction, so I just tap we'll and carry on going. But of course if I'm not paying attention it'll just autocorrect.

Mine is getting really annoying. I'm going to see if I can edit the dictionary at all. It often changes words like shinjuku into shin juju and
                          Harajuku into hard juju but if I misspell either it'll give the red underline and show the correct spelling. Wtf?

I used the swiftkey trial on my android phone and it was lovely. I think ios8 will allow custom keyboards so maybe there's hope.

Although I use SwipeSelection which lets you scroll the cursor by swiping the space bar or select text by swiping from shift. It's great for quickly making corrections.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
                            I think the only way of 'editing' the iOS dictionary is to completely clear it and start over. It does make an awful lot of erroneous corrections, they need to revise it to mirror the way Android does things. It's much better.
                            The new keyboard shows you 3 possible corrections that can be made and you can choose them, even before the word is finished. It also looks at your speech patterns and commonly used phrases and suggests the whole next word too, super clever.

Comment

Android works differently depending on what software you use for the keyboard. Swiftkey works like the iOS one really in that if it thinks you've made a mistake then it will fix it without you intervening so you have to watch out for its erroneous corrections.

Comment

but at least with SwiftKey, you can press backspace once and it will show the suggestion again and you can just hold it down at which point it forgets it completely.

And swiftkey is cloud based, so it learns across all your devices and multiple apps, including word order (thus being able to whole sentences if you've done them before) and also from other people with common words and trending words. Pretty amazing really. And now it has skins.
                                Last edited by charlesr; 28-08-2014, 15:07.

Comment

Working...
                                X