Recommend me a new chair for general computer use/relaxing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recommend me a new chair for general computer use/relaxing

So I'm currently torn between a choice of two orthopedic chairs, both used off Ebay. Firstly, the Steelcase Leap V1 in leather for ?140 and second is the Humanscale Freedom with headrest for ?195. Both seem to be quite a saving over the new price, but obviously as used they would not have the hefty 10 year guarantee which I suspect the bulk of the RRP is going on - anyone had any experience of either? The problem I have is that I don't live in an area where they're stocked at retail so I can't try before I buy

The Steelcase can be manually adjusted to suit but has no headrest. The Humanscale seems to auto-adjust but is much more limited in terms of customization.

These are my current main two contenders, but can anyone else suggest an alternative. ?200 is going to be my limit, so either of these two new is pretty much a no.

Not going to be suitable for your Computer use but for general relaxing I can't recommend the Ikea Poang Chair enough.

I brought one back in 2010 purely for gaming but it's slowly become the go-to chair for relaxing. It's posture is perfect, it's wide enough for you to rest your arms on the smooth wood and it has an actual head rest! So many sofas and chairs forget the average human owns a head that needs supporting!

My only slight against it is that it leans back a bit so you feel inclined to fall asleep! I do recommend splashing a bit of cash and going for the leather upgrade rather than a material for its cushioning.

Comment

I use an Ikea Vilgot myself. Cost me about ?70 and is the only chair that has withstood constant abuse for almost 2 years now. It appears it is now cheaper and the optional arms are included. Perhaps not suitable for you though comfort wise.

Comment

We went for the Vitra ID chair at work and it is the best chair I've used.
        Every part is replaceable and the adjustments are as you'd expect with Vitra.

There is one on ebay at the moment - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VITRA-ITAL...item4625970a70

The Humanscale wasn't on our shortlist but the Steelcase was and I wasn't impressed with the build quality.

I would try one though if you haven't used on before as the seat does tilt back and forward.
        The forward tilt is to maintain spine posture and is not lockable. The back tilt can be locked.
        Last edited by smouty; 18-08-2014, 10:43.

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. I think I will probably go with the steelcase. I've heard mostly positive things about it and would be more comfortable by nature in leather. That ikea chair wools linked to looks really good for comfort but not very at all for computer use so I may get that at some point for another room.

Comment

Working...
          X