Metrico PS Vita review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metrico PS Vita review

Metrico is one of them games that's trying to be an indie darling with its unique art style and new game-play mechanics, But its like playing Microsoft excel the platformer with a piece of black clip art as your avatar. it all feels pretty bland and sterile. take away the art style and its a by the numbers platform puzzler game at heart, it requires you to mess with the game world to progress this usually involves jumping to raise a block, or running backwards and forwards to raise a block, or not jumping so you don't raise a block. restart points are at the start of every series of obstacles so its just about retrying till you get it right.

The biggest issue is not the art style, though its the wonky controls, I found that if you want to jump at the edge of a platform, you have to press it early or you fall to you doom, aggravating this is a game engine that regularly stutters, in a game that requires precision and timing wonky controls and an unstable game engine are unforgivable.

It keeps adding new mechanics each level too but doesn't tell you about them until you have stood about for a bit scratching your head, level 3 gives you a slow laser thing, that shoots forward but it can also be aimed by using the back touch pad, One puzzle on this level requires you to move the aim to shoot two septate targets destroying the targets causes a platform to rise behind you so you have to quickly destroy the targets at the top first then shoot the bottom and then run back to a platform, if anything is destroyed before you get back to the platform you need to hit the reset button and go back to the start and try again, the flighty controls saw me try this again and again and I eventuality got past it but id had enough. I doubt I will go back but then the masochist in me probably will play it to the end up hating every minute of it.
    Last edited by Lebowski; 07-08-2014, 12:14.

I got annoyed at the loading screen before the game had even started. It was interesting for 12 seconds, I just don't have the patience these days.

Comment

I made it a little further than Kryss...

Then deleted it.

Comment

I finished this the other night and rather enjoyed it, it's a nice and competent enough distraction.
        No story at all, just interesting visuals/concept with puzzles and platforming.
        I was surprised to see it used all the vitas added on tat, touch screen, rear touch, camera and tilt. Tilt sections being especially frustrating as were the camera bits, mostly because your doing stuff that's unnatural whilst playing and holding a handheld.

Near the bloody last level I discovered my first secret object, of which there are 3 in each zone/world and a specific way to reveal them.
        Now I know how to collect them and what to look out for, I will probably go back for the 100%

Comment

Originally posted by Loftgroover View Post
          I made it a little further than Kryss...

Then deleted it.
          Me too.

It was dull beyond belief!

Comment

Working...
          X