PC Engine RGB Solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC Engine RGB Solution

As some of you may know, I'm a bit of an RGB nut.

With this in mind I purchased a vanilla Duo R (unmodded) from our very own briareos_kerensky some months back. It isn't until now that I have gotten around to looking at the best solution to RGB mod it but I thought I would just post my finding here, as well as my latest purchase, for anyone who might be interested in having their PC Engine RGB modified in a manner of which is most technically correct. While the transistor based amp detailed on mmmonkey's site works, people have persued better solutions. The solution using the THS7314 (as used by mmmonkey in his latest N64 guides) seems to be the best so far. People even claim it to look better than the doujindance RGB amp (the infamous guy who restores and mods Duo R) - which sounds good to me!

The nice thing about the solution offered here is that you can also purchase the 8 pin DIN and correct SCART lead to use with the amp from the same guy for practically the cost of parts.

Product can be found here. http://bit.ly/1ASRENa

I stuck in an order yesterday and it came to around ?32. And finally, a few pics - I'll post my own once I've installed the modification in the coming weeks.

These appear to be through a scaling device but they look amazing either way.

Going to combine this with the jailbar fix found here too, really annoyed me when I had my Core Grafx II. http://bit.ly/X1bsOX
    Last edited by speedlolita; 06-08-2014, 11:17.

I hate the use of the word "vanilla" that for the last year people have started to use for "normal" or "satandard". Sorry, but it just annoys the **** out of me.

OK, rant over Very nice RGB image on that Duo but it looks a little off due to no scan lines

Comment

You think? I'm not a huge fan of scanline myself. Natural ones perhaps but faux ones are a bit much if an image is scaled properly, IMO.

Comment

I guess it depends on how strong they are. The one used on some emulators look bad.

By the way, has the Hu-Card flap on your Duo started to change colour? Mine's got a case of pissy SFC colour. I'm thinking about giving the console a silver and black spray job to match my DC, Saturn and Mega Drive.
        Last edited by Yakumo; 06-08-2014, 12:22.

Comment

Very true. Either way, I'll be shooting from the crisp image delivered by my Trinitron.

Even through composite the image doesn't look half bad so this should blow me away a bit, though I plan to adjust the geometry of my Trinitron again soon to fix the horizontal alignment.

Comment

Love this, Speed, good work. Would you be prepared to do the same mod for forumites?

Comment

Isn't my doing! Just wanted to share this all in one solution.

If anyone wanted the installation done I wouldn't mind, I'll report back after my kit arrives. Should be mid September to early October.
              Last edited by speedlolita; 13-08-2014, 15:25.

Comment

Just easier playing stuff via magicengine on PC the emulation is pretty much perfect & you get super sharp & awesome screen quality on pc. A lot less hassle lol

Comment

You could say that about everything! I could be using Dolphin to play my Wii games at 1080p60 but I opt to have them look like crap through my Wii U.

Wait..

Comment

Does the WiiU actually improve Wii games? seeing as it runs through HDMI, i have never found the answer to that one.

Comment

It upscales it badly and doesn't even fullscreen it.

Less than desirable, but tolerable at least. I run it through my PC display currently.

Comment

Typical lazy Nintendo (sigh)

Comment

Believe I could plug in a Wii SCART lead and use it via 480i like a Wii too, if I did wanna use on my CRT.

Comment

Finally arrived today.

Pretty crappy shots of my display but it looks stock. Really pleased!

Comment

Very tidy work as ever Oliver. I might have a wee top secret project for you soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X