Shinobi 3DS review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shinobi 3DS review

Out for 3 years and no one started a thread on this? Shocked!
    I got this last week for the princely sum of ?6.95, it’s been something I’ve wanted to try out for a while being a Shinobi fan…

And it’s really great!

The game harks back to Shinobi 3 (Super Shinobi 2) on the MD, you can really see this was a strong influence for the devs who made this.

You play Jiro Musashi (Joe’s father) and the game is split over 8 levels ranging from Feudal Japan to Underwater Bases to

Spaceships(!?)

The main bulk of play is A – B platforming action, there are a few variations of this; horse riding, surfing etc. - *cough*Shinobi 3*cough* which try to use the 3DS capabilities specifically, and while there’s nothing wrong with these sections per-say they’re nothing special and not the real reason you’re playing.

This game is pretty old school and not for the faint hearted. It will happily have you get to a gap, jump and have a ninja on the other side ready to kunai you into a bottomless pit. (The last level is particularly brutal with a lot of strict jumps and timing with instant death below.)
    This may feel cheap at first but the game is old school, it wants you to learn levels and enemy placement. Before you know where you are, you’re kunai’ing ninjas in the face before they’re even on-screen.

There is no level up/combo unlocking in this, what you start with is what you get.
    The combo system isn’t deep but it’s all it needs to be with enough variation in moves to keep you entertained as you move through a level as enemies only take a couple of hits to die
    You have 5 kunais which replenish over time, you can throw them individually of perform a kunai fan from a double jump
    New to this version is a grapple hook. It doesn’t allow swinging but it allows you to grab higher areas for roof hanging
    He also has double jump, slide, ninja magic, enemy step and parry

There are quite a few enemy types that range from standard kunai throwing ninja to a cyborg commando with a helicopter gun.

Okay, the parry.
    This is an essential part of the game, you have to learn to parry attacks. To my knowledge you can parry every attack in the game (I never tried environmental hazards) and moves that come in rapid succession can be parried automatically after the first hit. This allows you to parry a full wave of machine gun fire simply by parrying the first hit. This might sound generous but you still have to time the initial attack. After successfully parrying an attack pressing forward + y allows you to counter with a forward thrust slash that will kill every enemy in the game (apart from bosses) in 1 hit.

You can cancel nearly any move with the parry and can even parry mid jump (which resets you and allows further jumping and attacking)
    The game has a high score system and rank system for each level where your multiplier goes up (and is maintained as max 4x) as you hit enemies without being hit yourself.
    Learning the enemy layout and move-set can lead to runs like this:

The game has 4 difficulty modes:
    Beginner
    Normal
    Hard
    Very Hard

Each difficulty has its own set of rules beginner gives you infinite lives and lets you continue from the last checkpoint when all used. Normal gives you 5 lives and lets you continue from the start of the level when all used, Hard gives you 3 lives, 3continues and very hard gives you 1 life and 3 continues for the entire game!! Each difficult has its own enemy layout too.

Each level has 2 ‘mastery’ coins and 1 bonus coin. The bonus coin simply lets you play the classic bonus stage at the end of a level (where ninjas are jumping forward and you have to kunai them) for extra points.
    The mastery coins are particularly hard to find and some require some fancy foot work to obtain. Collecting both mastery coins unlocks a challenge map, which is basically a VR level, again with high score and time.

The game also has a number of achievements with unlockables attached to obtain. It also has a Shinobi history section which tells you about each game in the series as well as some pretty cool ‘did you know?’s

The game isn’t perfect…Graphics aren’t amazing and some of the platforming can be a bit flat but if you’re into skilled based action games you need to give this a try, it’s cheap as chips these days and it’s a great game.
    Last edited by Goemon; 04-08-2014, 21:02.

ive had this a while, not finished it yet. I didn't realise the parry system was so deep will have to give it another go, it came free with my 3DS when i picked it up in gamestation as part of some pack deal, its not a bad old school platformer very enjoyable

Comment

I have it as well, almost since launch embarrassingly. Need to play again.

Comment

Isn't Joe's dad the bad guy in the original arcade game?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Isn't Joe's dad the bad guy in the original arcade game?
          Nope.

The Zeed Syndicate were the main antagonist(s) of the original coin-op. They've pretty much been the de facto main villain of the entire franchise, unless I'm mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
            Nope.

The Zeed Syndicate were the main antagonist(s) of the original coin-op. They've pretty much been the de facto main villain of the entire franchise, unless I'm mistaken.
            Scratch that. Seems like you might actually be right, Chimp.

Originally posted by Wikipedia
            Mission 5: "Defeat the Behind-the-Scene Ninja" - Set in the mansion of the enemy's leader. Unlike previous missions, the player is not allowed to continue if he loses all of his lives at this point. The final boss is Zeed's leader the Masked Ninja, who attacks with four different ninjutsu techniques. His true identity is revealed to be Nakahara, Joe Musashi's mentor. Nakahara's name is a reference to the Musashi-Nakahara Station. His name is meant to be a hint of his true identity as "Nakahara Musashi", Joe Musashi's father.[3]
            So it would appear that the Shinobi series storyline has been retconned somewhat.

Comment

Chimp wins!

I was playing it the other week and I was unsure if the ending was suggesting it was his dad.

Not the most nurturing family environment.

Comment

Hmmm, Nakahara is Joe's father...maybe I got my wires crossed.
                I have to say I didn't follow the story too closely, it's a little bit out there

Reading a bit about the game, if you complete hard mode you get a new character which sounds like she plays differently.

I forgot the music too, there's some great tracks in there!

Would love to see a follow up to this game but I don't think it will happen, I read that it tanked pretty bad. Probably because the 3DS started out so slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by Goemon View Post
                  Hmmm, Nakahara is Joe's father...maybe I got my wires crossed.
                  You didn't get your wires crossed.

The ending of the original coin-op states that Nakahara was Joe's "mentor" but implies that he might actually have been Joe's dad.

Like I said, it appears that 3DS Shinobi retcons this storyline and make Jiro (who appears to be a new-ish character) Joe's father instead.

Comment

Nicky Campbell and Davina are going to be reuniting this long lost family at this rate!

Comment

Working...
                    X