Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS) review

This has been out a few months, and there's a great review on the site (here [by Jonathan Dornan]: http://www.bordersdown.net/content/7...w-Nintendo-3DS) which saves me explaining too much.

In short: it's Kirby, that loveable but utterly relentless and murderous changeling puffball-thing, in another super-easy 2D adventure. Main plot change this time is you're actually saving rather than going after King Dedede but gameplay is the same. Very good use of 3D effects, with Kirby frequently switching into background sections (like the new Donkey Kong Country games), and clever use of mirrors and parallax effects to add a little bit of mystery to the levels, also with baddies that break through the various planes. Visuals and music are top notch, as usual for the series. Character animation of bigger baddies is often , especially their blind panic when you're sucking 'em in. Bosses are excellent, inventive, totally silly.

The main fun of the game - for me - is in experimenting with the different transformations, which actually have quite extensive movesets that are a delight to play with. The 'Clown' Kirby is my current favourite, with his various circus-themed attacks. You can button-mash through the game without having to bother with these extra moves at all, but it's great fun just to mess around with them pointlessly/for the sake of it. New to the series (I think?) is a 'hypernova' (i.e. super-suck) ability, which lets you move bits of scenery around almost Epic Yarn style, and basically makes Kirby invincible (when it's practically impossible for him to die anyway!).

Worlds have four levels, 1 boss level, and a hidden level if you collect all the 'sunstones'. To find everything and fully complete a world is taking me about 45 minutes to an hour (think I'm about halfway through), so maybe you'll get six or seven hours of playtime out of it to fully complete. Not a lot, maybe, but very charming while it lasts. Utter completionists can go back and hunt the 'keychains' (250 in total), which refer to past games in the series and comprise the game's main collectible.

The 'Triple Deluxe' of the title refers to the main story mode being complemented by 'Kirby Fighters' and 'Dedede's Drum Dash'. Kirby Fighters is a Smash Bros 'lite' that you can play alone or with 3 friends wirelessly (local, not online unfortunately). Drum Dash is a short rhythm-action game. Both are well done and worth a dip, as is the package as a whole.

Edit for Nerdfax: Ben 10's middle name is Kirby. Benjamin Kirby Tennyson.
    Last edited by Golgo; 30-07-2014, 14:49.

Those two extra games are available separately for j-3ds owners btw.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
      Those two extra games are available separately for j-3ds owners btw.
      There new versions of the games as I understand it and will be available in all regions soon enough, neither game are that good however. The King Dedede jumping game is pretty terrible, not a patch on the Kirby mini-games of old.

That said I'm really enjoying the main game for Kirby Triple Deluxe, the way the level design work is very cool. It makes quite good use of the 3D too, when you have things like the trains speeding towards the camera. Good fun platformer all in all, doesn't do anything to original but it's nice enough.

Comment

I got 4 and a half worlds in & got so bored with it that i just stopped playing i haven't been back since. In fact i deleted it off my 3DS to make room for youkai watch, I agree the 3D effects are very nice & the graphics & sound are charming but it plays like every other handheld kirby platformer there has been it's just so dull to play. At least with epic yarn the worlds were so wonderful that it kept me going just to see what craft inspired gimmicks they would use next.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
          I got 4 and a half worlds in & got so bored with it that i just stopped playing i haven't been back since. In fact i deleted it off my 3DS to make room for youkai watch, I agree the 3D effects are very nice & the graphics & sound are charming but it plays like every other handheld kirby platformer there has been it's just so dull to play. At least with epic yarn the worlds were so wonderful that it kept me going just to see what craft inspired gimmicks they would use next.
          Funny, but I'm the complete opposite: had to lob Epic Yarn as it was so one-trick and saccharine that I thought I might puke. Have you tried Canvas Curse on DS? Hardly a dull handheld platformer. One of the highlights of the system, for me.

Comment

I wouldn't really class canvas curse as a kirby platformer it's more one of the weird spin off ones, i actually enjoyed that as well as mass attack. I think i have just outgrown the traditonal styles ones i have been playing them since i imported the very first one from america when i had my mono GB, the weirder spinoff ones at least keep me interested as they use kirby in a different way.

Im sure if someone hasn't played many kirby games triple deluxe will delight them but im reaching the point where im totally burned out on them this one was my last attempt to trying & rekindle some love for the series. Im getting pretty close with Zelda as well, mario is not far off unless i see more great ones like galaxy.

Comment

I wouldn't really class canvas curse as a kirby platformer it's more one of the weird spin off ones.
              It's a bit convenient to lament the lack of innovation in Kirby handheld platformers then re-designate one that innovates as "not a platformer". You negotiate platforms in 2D and there is jumping involved. It's a platformer.
              Last edited by Golgo; 31-07-2014, 08:44.

Comment

Im getting pretty close with Zelda as well, mario is not far off unless i see more great ones like galaxy.
                Disagree there myself as I feel Mario and Zelda, have both long since run out of steam. Where as Kirby keeps going having played Mass Attack prior it's nice to go back to a more traditional Kirby title. Nintendo do seems to experiment more with Kirby so he stays fresh. That said it should have been Stitch's Epic Yarn as Kirby was chucked in at the last minute and so Nintendo loss out on a new IP.
                Last edited by S3M; 31-07-2014, 09:13.

Comment

Originally posted by Golgo View Post
                  It's a bit convenient to lament the lack of innovation in Kirby handheld platformers then re-designate one that innovates as "not a platformer". You negotiate platforms in 2D and there is jumping involved. It's a platformer.
                  We are thinking of the same game aren't we? the one where kirby is a ball & you control him by drawing lines with a stylus. That game has platforms in but i wouldn't class it as a platform game. It plays radically different to a traditional Kirby game.

Comment

Yes that's it. And apart from the stylus-control you still take on different abilities from enemies - the Kirby 'trademark' - and you zoom and jump around platforms.

Comment

Canvas Curse/Magic Paintbrush was a great game. That was of course back in the days when Nintendo used the features they built into their consoles!

It does play quite differently to most Kirby games, but where do you draw the line?* You can't criticise them for not adapting the formula while outlawing the more interesting twists on it as spin-offs.

Kirby's Pinball Land is a spin-off imo. Magic Paintbrush was more of a twist on the usual formula. I mean it's still basically a sidescrolling action game where the chief aim is to navigate to a goal on the right hand side of the screen, avoiding enemies and negotiating platforms.

*I'm here all the week and the fish is superb

Comment

Working...
                      X