No announcement yet.

Mecha Mad and Figure Fixation V3.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My parents got me a train model made entirely out of wood from these guys. Today I wanted to do some modelling, so I thought I'd complete this train model first. "It'll be a couple of hours" I said to myself, only to open the box a find, in addition to six plates of precut wood piece, toothpicks, rubber bands, sand paper, and a stick of wax. And I thought "oooooh fuuudge". Opened the instruction manual, and after a couple of hours I had an handful of subassemblies.

These subassemblies include an "engine" composed by 16 rubber bands; divided into four groups, you have to force the bands into slits that can barely hold two of them.
    Two rubber bands have to be cut to about half their size and others to about 1cm in lenght...and tie them back together. I resorted in using a marker and multiple pairs of tweezers to accomplish this. And a lot of swearing.

After a while I was able to put together some of the subassemblies

And after that, I have the main body of the locomotive put together in all its mechanical glory.

Manual says I'm about halfway done, after more than 6 hours of work.

Comment

Looking awesome [MENTION=7539]briareos_kerensky[/MENTION]

I've been wanting the Treasure Box from them guys for a while now, maybe next year I'll take the plunge and get it to build!

Comment

Love that Toro figure, [MENTION=7037]Soundwave[/MENTION].

Comment

Model completed! It took another afternoon to complete the locomotive, coal tender, and tracks.

There are a lot of moving parts: doors, access ladder, furnace, tender sidewalls, driving compartment roof

But...does it move? Unfortunately no, I screwed something up. After attaching the rubber band engine you have to assemble a series of levers and safety levers that should allow the train to move forward, backward, and hodl the "charge", but probably something fell out of place as I was trying to attach the various subassemblies and secure the various rubber bands. In one occasion the instruction booklet also contraddicts itself, so I ended up in asymmetrical lateral arms (the arms on top of the wells...don't really know their name).

Comment

Looks like mr toilet transformer has been shipped by courier and down for delivery on the 8th all things go to plan i should have him tomorrow YAY.

Weirdly that transformer site i got him from doesn't have him listed anymore, must have been something they put up for preorder but only ordered in enough to cover preorders and nothing more. Pretty impressed with service though they have kept me well informed i may use them again if it's something i'm after and they can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
              Looks like mr toilet transformer has been shipped by courier and down for delivery on the 8th all things go to plan i should have him tomorrow YAY.

Weirdly that transformer site i got him from doesn't have him listed anymore, must have been something they put up for preorder but only ordered in enough to cover preorders and nothing more. Pretty impressed with service though they have kept me well informed i may use them again if it's something i'm after and they can get it.
              Cool
              Did you order him from TFS-Express?

If so they have 2 sites
              One you went to for Pre-orders then there is a link on the main site for in-stock items click that & it switches to their "Omegalock" sister site for in stock stuff

Once items come in stock they get removed & switched over
              Confusing but he is still available

Neil

Comment

Originally posted by Soundwave View Post
                Cool
                Did you order him from TFS-Express?

If so they have 2 sites
                One you went to for Pre-orders then there is a link on the main site for in-stock items click that & it switches to their "Omegalock" sister site for in stock stuff

Once items come in stock they get removed & switched over
                Confusing but he is still available

Neil
                Yes indeedy i used your recommendation and ordered from them, ah so that explains that then. Well impressed with them so far, was sent several emails on shipping along with a tracking number. Hopefully it's decently protected in shipping it's not like a high end former with a 3 figure price tag but i'd still like the box to be crush free.

Comment

Originally posted by importaku View Post
                  Yes indeedy i used your recommendation and ordered from them, ah so that explains that then. Well impressed with them so far, was sent several emails on shipping along with a tracking number. Hopefully it's decently protected in shipping it's not like a high end former with a 3 figure price tag but i'd still like the box to be crush free.
                  Yeah they are really good
                  Used them a lot & never had any issues
                  You will be fine they ship well wrapped inside a sturdy box
                  Never had any damages on my figures & my latest arrival was the X-Transbots Cliffjumper a few posts back & he is in a minty box

You'll be over the moon when he gets to you

Neil

Comment

Got this from eBay over the Xmas break:

It's about 6" tall and is surprisingly heavy!

People will probably recognise it; it's front Front Mission 3. I'm not sure of its origin but it seems to be from Kotobukiya's Art-FX line, judging by what I can find when I google "Front Mission Figure".

Now in its place at the back on my desk:

Comment

So I'm up to three Masterpiece Transformers now: Sideswipe; Silverstreak and Crackup.
                      I was thinking it'd be nice to have an Optimus Prime to go with them.

HOLY SMOKES! There are so many to choose from.
                      So, offically, there's the MP-01, which is defunct, the MP-10, which is expensive (but KO options are available to make it cheaper) and they've just announced MP-44, which looks nice but is a whopping £289!

A couple of other companies have announced Masterpiece-sized Primes - Transform Element TE-01 and Magic Square TOYS MS-01. They're closer to the £85 mark.

However, in looking at those, I've seen there a surge in the smaller "Legends" sized characters with Magic Square, DX9 and Mech Planet all bringing out their interpretation of a tiny Prime. I'm tempted to cut my losses and go down the Legends route as you still get accurate models, take up less shelf space and you can get a lot more of them for the money.

Legends Scale
                      DX9 Toys War in Pocket X34 Dutch
                      Magic Square - MS-B18
                      Mech Planet HS-02
                      GENERATION TOY - GT-05
                      Robot Masters RM-01
                      Takara Tomy THS-02

DX9 Toys War in Pocket X34 Dutch

Magic Square - MS-B18

Mech Planet HS-02

GENERATION TOY - GT-05

Robot Masters RM-01

Takara Tomy THS-02

Voyager Scale
                      KuBianBao MP10V

Masterpiece Scale
                      Takara Tomy MP-10
                      Collection Kingdom MP-10 KO
                      Transform Element TE-01
                      Magic Square TOYS MS-01
                      Takara Tomy MP-44 Ver. 3

Takara Tomy MP-10

Collection Kingdom MP-10 KO

Transform Element TE-01

Magic Square TOYS MS-01

Takara Tomy MP-44 Ver. 3

Slightly bigger
                      Wei Jiang MPP-10
                      YueXing MMP-10
                      Takara Tomy MP1

Wei Jiang MPP-10

YueXing MMP-10

Takara Tomy MP1

A bit different from G1
                      Generation Toy GT-3 OP EX (IDW)
                      E1147 Power of the Primes
                      Lewin-01 Atlas

Generation Toy GT-3 OP EX (IDW)

E1147 Power of the Primes

Lewin-01 Atlas

Ultimetal Optimus Prime

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        they've just announced MP-44, which looks nice but is a whopping £289!
                        It looks pretty great but, yeah, that price. The Masterpiece editions are lovely but, as much as I love the two I have, they don't quite feel as premium as the prices suggest. I have spotted a few bargains online now and again but missed every one of them!

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                          It looks pretty great but, yeah, that price. The Masterpiece editions are lovely but, as much as I love the two I have, they don't quite feel as premium as the prices suggest. I have spotted a few bargains online now and again but missed every one of them!
                          I actually think that the Magic Square and Transform Element alternatives are actually a little nicer.
                          Well, let's just say MP-44 isn't £200 better!

Comment

Wait, the new one is missing his cab stripe in vehicle mode! Is this because he was missing it in the cartoon? I really don't like this direction. The new Prowl doesn't have the details for the same reason and it wasn't a design choice back then - it was for nothing more than cheap production.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                              Wait, the new one is missing his cab stripe in vehicle mode! Is this because he was missing it in the cartoon? I really don't like this direction. The new Prowl doesn't have the details for the same reason and it wasn't a design choice back then - it was for nothing more than cheap production.
                              Yeah, the MP-10 has it, but they MP-44 doesn't.
                              Yes, it's to make it cartoon accurate, which they've done a pretty god job of, to be fair!

Comment

Yeah, it's not quite as minimal as the cartoon though and I think their previous approach was better: they were kind of a mix of the original toy, artwork and cartoon. I miss some of the details. Even with the Sideswipe I have, they changed some of the silver stuff to grey or white because it was that way in the cartoon but mostly because there isn't really a proper silver colour in the cartoon. It's like changing the Optimus legs to white here, which they have avoided. But that stripe on the cab was a key detail in the toy and much of the artwork (and exists in robot mode) so I wish they had left that intact.

Comment

Working...
                                X