TowerFall Ascension review PS4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TowerFall Ascension review PS4

Finally got round to giving this months ps+ games a download, and I nearly turned this off straight away dismissing it altogether. it's a single screen archery game where up to four characters duel it out to be the last man standing, Jumping into pits or running toward one end of the screen will just have you reappear on the opposite side, so you have to watch every direction for enemies or arrows flying at you. Their is also a dodge button which if timed right lets you grab arrows from the air, and you can also head stomp your enemy from above so you really have to keep an eye on where everyone is. you only get three arrows at the start of a match too so you have to collect them up once fired which adds an extra level of strategy.

But here's the problem, its local multi-player only so unless you have spent an extra ?150 on ps4 pads I doubt many will ever get to play it in its most chaotic mode, it really is a shame that such a multiplayer specific game only has local play, I bet a few on-line friends with some headsets could be equally as amusing.

I spent most of the evening on the quest mode, this sees you progressing across a map of different arenas and facing off against waves of enemies types. Some swoop at you, some are speedy lunging towards you, others fire at you, and some leave behind toxic sludge that kills you instantly on contact. Each arena gives you five lives and seven waves to get through. most enemies are cannon fodder but together they can catch you out you really do have to have eyes everywhere as enemies will constantly attack from all directions.

Head stomping your way through a group of enemies while shooting another coming towards you before sending an arrow in an arc to get a distant foe is very satisfying and will rack up massive combos too. its all very fun and what was supposed to be a five minute go turned into an evening of play. I can see the quest mode falling quite quickly but I imagine I will go back to the earlier levels to see if i can climb up the scoreboard.

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

Played it on Ouya with 3 mates, drunk one night and no-one had ever played it before. It's one of the best and purest forms of local multiplayer and just amazing fun.

Necessity for 4 dual shock 4? Hmm can't see it myself.

Comment

Played it on PC regularly with 3 other people using Xbox 360 pads; it's honestly one of the best multiplayer games ever made. It's simple, but streamlined and fun.

Comment

Yep in a way it kinda reminds me of Joust, but better by a mile.

It has to be played 4p, simple at that.

Comment

Tried this a bit seems great fun. Gonna give it more if a go, some of the baddies seemed a bit tricky was messing around though.

Comment

Just to echo what's been said already - Towerfall Ascension is great. It's up there with Bomberman in local co-op god tierness.

Comment

Tried the PS4 version as it was on plus this month. 5 mins and got sick of the arrow collecting mechanics.

...Am I just too old and impatient these days?

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                Tried the PS4 version as it was on plus this month. 5 mins and got sick of the arrow collecting mechanics.

...Am I just too old and impatient these days?
                If you're playing it single player, or only with two people, then you'll get no argument - those solo modes are just to flesh out the package.

Get 4 people around one screen with it and just believe me, in 5 minutes you'll have four people on their feet, yelling at the television. It's just incredibly well designed.

Comment

Yeah it comes alive with 4 players. Imagine playing Bomberman solo, yawn.

If you can organise a 4p session then definitely try it. I guess the only problem on ps4 is then needing all those controllers. On Ouya it was easy enough to use a mix of controllers from my other consoles.

Comment

No danger of me getting 4 people over any time soon.

Comment

It does need online play. I get that it's old skool local mp, and with some mates round it really is amazing, but how many people are going to have enough friends/joypads to do this game justice?

Comment

Originally posted by H-Man View Post
                        It does need online play. I get that it's old skool local mp, and with some mates round it really is amazing, but how many people are going to have enough friends/joypads to do this game justice?
                        I would honestly prefer that it doesn't get it, and if they're going to do any work on it, they add more levels and modes instead. That might sound like I'm being awkward for the sake of it, but really, the game requires lightning-fast controls and a large part of it is the shared atmosphere.

For the same reason as Samurai Gunn, I don't think online multiplayer would add that much. The variable connection speeds would remove much of the skill.

Comment

You can still get that shared atmosphere with friends on voice coms, playing randoms would be dull, but a few friends all chatting and playing would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
                            You can still get that shared atmosphere with friends on voice coms, playing randoms would be dull, but a few friends all chatting and playing would be great.
                            I still think it would lose the responsiveness though, which is the game's greatest strength - but I do sympathise with people who can't otherwise play it in 4 player.

Comment

It would be nice if they released it on a console where 4 player was more convenient. PC is not exactly the home of local multiplayer, and who owns 3 extra DualShock 4s?

It sounds really fun, I'd like to play it on PS3 or, ideally, Wii U. Surely far more people have several DS3s lying around? Wiimotes even more so, as Nintendo consoles are always worth owning 4 pads for.

Comment

Working...
                              X