Youkai watch 2 Ganso/Honke/Shinuchi 3DS review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youkai watch 2 Ganso/Honke/Shinuchi 3DS review

Well i caved in even though i have both cart versions ordered i got the digital version to keep me going as the wait was unbearable.

So far played nearly 4 hours & it's pretty much blown me away, they have added so soooo much since the first game. Im not going to cover all the stuff again that was standard in the first game just this new stuff. There are 2 versions of the game im currently playing the ganso version, the story from what i have made out so far is 2 youkai visit Keita one evening while he is asleep & do something to make his youkai watch vanish from existance this also seems to erase his memory aout ever having owned the watch. It sets the game up nicely as a mini tutorial in case you never played the first game, eventually he gets his watch back & it has some strange power to restore his memory when he comes in contact with places or youkai he once knew.

The quest system has been tweaked it still shows you where to go & what objective is next but now there are also key quests these are the ones that advance the story & will have a lock on them you will need to clear all of them for the main story to advance. The way the game quests happen are different in each version of the game so i'll only be able to spot them once i play the other one as well. There are 2 new features in the town the first are the hidden doors called samagure gates they can only be revealed with the youkai watch, if you find one & go in you will be taken to a random room in a mysterious dimension you then have to battle a set number of times with the youkai wandering about. If you defeat the required number you will get a gate ball these can be used in a special door in the museum store room, beware when you leave the samagure gate you will be randomly placed in the town where you entered is not where you will come out hehe. The other hidden feature is the nazo no tatfuda a signpost with a riddle on it gives you 3 clues to guess the name of the youkai, you can keep retrying if you get it wrong. The first one i come across was himojii if you guess correct it unlocks a mystery youkai circle, if you have the mentioned youkai in your posession it can be placed in the circle & causes effects in the immediate area. For example when i took the quest at the conveni the manager said no customers were visiting, Himojii's power is to make people hungry so with Himojii placed in the circle outside the conveni anyone passing would feel the urge to stop in & buy something & thats kind of how those things work.

Oni time has been changed as well it still comes when you least expect it & the thrill of been chased through town by a massive ogre with a 1 hit knock out is fun as ever, this time though there seem to be no red chests in the oni dimension, instead are orbs the more you collect the more time you get at the new oni gashapon machine when you exit the dimension from the door hidden somwhere in the area, the capsules seem to hold some rare items like the chests used to, also energy drinks are dotted around the area during oni time which is just as well as when you are spotted you will have to literally run flat out to escape as that thing i fast as hell.

The menu has been drastically updated there are so many new features & options, your menu is now called the youkai pad (lol geddit) and as you play new apps appear on the bottom. There are now trophies you can unlock for meeting certain game requirements a bit like achievements, there's an app for showing the weather in the main 3 areas of the country that the game is set in, im sure there is a reason for the weather but need to find out what. There is the battle app that lets you battle online you can now battle randomly via the net, battle a friend via the net, or a local wifi battle. Also the side minigame called youkai watch busters is accessed from the app i haven't dabbled too much but im pleased it's for 1-4 players so not just multiplay only. There is now also an option to trade medals online with people on your friend list making it a lot easier to get a full set now. There are a lot more app spaces to fill but not got those yet.

Currently reached the pont in the story where you go see your grandmother in the countryside, you get a little hand drawn set of instructions & 2000 yen from your mum & then left to find your own way. If you go into the inventory & look at the note it lists which line to get & which train station you need to get off at. Granny lives quite far out of the way as you have to change train lines at one point to catch the countryside line then get a bus from the station to get to the village, the village that your grandmother lives in is called Kemamoto. The train station is pretty cool every 10 seconds or so a train will come & you have to check the arrival ticker at the top of the screen to see if your destination is on that train line if not you wait until you see a train with the station stop listed that you need. Once on the train you can sit back & relax as Jibanyan & Wisper make idle conversation with you as you admire the wonderful scenery through the window as you go between lines & stations the scenery in the background changes & it's so detailed, waves crash on the beach & cars are driving on the roads in the distance. The entire game world has been lovingly crafted it really screams Japanese in the designs of everything it is so packed with everyday Japanese culture, it's the same feel exploring as it is playing attack of the friday monsters or any of the boku no natsuyasumi games. The camera can be rotated & everything in the enviroments is animated from the tiniest blade of grass to the trees swaying, in Kemamoto it's especially beautuful it's set on the side of a hill with paddy fields all over & traditional Japanese wooden country houses and fields full of swaying sunflowers im just about to start exploring this small countryside haven.

Makes me wonder how they would go about translating as it's very Japanese, at one point when you first get to your grandmothers house you have to goto the little shrine in the living room and make an offering to the memory of your dead grandfather, it's a Japanese religous custom & part of the story too. Im curious if they would dare leave it fully intact if it ever got a translation.

Well that's it so far i can't wait to see what amazing things this game holds for me, seems famitsu liked it as well as it scored 9,9,9,9 personally i'd have been giving 10's hehe. So far it improves over everything in the first game & that was extremely good to start with.

Found a video of the first 30 mins if anyone wants to see, spoilers obv
    Hell No kai
    0%
    Just say no kai
    0%
    Not sure kai
    0%
    Soso kai
    0%
    Just one more go kai
    0%
    OOOOOOOH kai
    0%
    It's so good, you know kai
    0%

Sounds wonderful. I wish they would just localise these games already, even if it was just for a digital-only release.

Effing Level 5. Same story with Time Travellers among other titles :@

Comment

Time for another update, now at the 13 hour mark & it's getting a lot more tricky. Finally helped Keizou assemble the zeroshiki youkai watch so now i can swap between the 2 when battling the older watch allows me to activate the G version of a youkai's special attack but you need all 3 in the team to have full soul meters to pull it off as they give their gauges to the youkai thats about to summon. You also get a new application for your menu so you can mess about with the watches & see the summon sequence when you put the medal in. The older watch has a distinctively retro feel as the sound quality is all old & scratchy when you summon them plus the phrases are different to the modern version. Here's a vid of the watch application

Finally completed the train station stamp rally which was fun plus it gives you a very useful gift for completing it so well worth the effort in visiting every station plus the scenery at them is great to look at. I keep saying it but the detail is mindblowing. In one station for example you can see a tv screen showing adverts across from you on the other platform & not only does the screen have the realistic flicker but the screen image changes too, if you go down the platform you can see buildings & the city in the distance all animated along with the sky animated as well. If you come at night all the buildings are lit up & the neon is animated on them, also the weather affects the look & feel too, it really puts other games to shame with how much you can see if you just stop & look. All of the game is like this, every enviroment has richly detailed graphics & the sound is lovely too, from cicadas chirping in the forests to hearing the ocean as you get closer to the coast.

Just finished the cave at the costal town of Igisaki as it was the last place i needed to be to remove the curse from the petrified youkai in there. Had to use the question signs quite a lot making it tricky to guess & type the name of the youkai which luckily are all ones in that cave then befriend the one in the question to get it's medal to activate the circle. I needed to do this because without the circles active you can't raise & lower the water level to get to the quest flag. I think it's time to stop with the main story for a bit & start exploring i have a lot of places to go looking through, thankfully the Ungai mirrors are in this game so you can warp around quite a lot to save your feet, still finding them & activating them so i can use them later.
      Last edited by importaku; 11-07-2014, 23:12.

Comment

Originally posted by wakka View Post
        Sounds wonderful. I wish they would just localise these games already, even if it was just for a digital-only release.

Effing Level 5. Same story with Time Travellers among other titles :@
        Nice article in Kotaku yesterday with Level 5 head honcho, saying they are currently looking into localization "in a big way": http://kotaku.com/how-yokai-watch-wa...hit-1602863085

Comment

Hehe no way, they actually based one of the youkai around the kumamon mascot, not only that but they even put the real kumamon in the game as well hehe.

This is a vid of the quest you get to see the rail network pretty well

And the real Kumamon's apperance

Here he is, representing the kumamoto prefacture

Comment

Seems like they also colaborated with BandaiNamco as they have Donchan in as well, need to track down this sub quest I want Donchan fighting on my team

Comment

Been focusing on befriending youkai at the moment just like the first game you have to work out their favourite food then give it to them in battle to get the heart above their heads to appear only then they might decide to become friends with you, they have made it a bit easier this time around as in the 1st game you had to guess by trial & error but in the sequel you can use the watches look/pin function during battle to see what food they like most.

Looks like someone has befriended Donchan as you can now see his summon sequence & how the zeroshiki watch looks

Comment

Nearly 16 hours in & the story is wonderful, funny in parts & sad in others it's charming & interesting. Really helps if you have seen the anime as that gives you a bit of back story to the youkai. Very close to unlocking my fist legendary need to find 2 more youkai to fill in the missing spaces in the 1st legend page.

Found the hidden matsuri that don chan is hosting but the little drum shaped bugger refuses to join me no matter how many bags of crisps i tempt him with. You can only try once a day too, that bugger is a right tease he'll be mine in the end i need him in my team there's no way im giving up. No idea how much of the game is left but im taking my sweet time with this one there's so much to occupy me that im doing the key quests sparingly

Comment

Annnd im finished, 23 hours 31 mins. Last boss was a pain but eventually beat her ass good, now the other half of the game is unlocked as with these games the main story is only half the game. Loads of post game quests have unlocked as well as a few more areas to explore with some secrets to find.

Still got the online stuff to have a go at & the youkai busters game mode, ahh the game that keeps on giving Nothing else released this year will beat this game for me at all.

Comment

Discovered something called the interlocked dungeon a special area that if you own both versions & have saves of at least 2 hours long you can goto a certain person in the game & you'll get a key to enter the dungeon next to him, inside is a massive bonus dungeon with the gashapon skeleton as the boss apparently there are alsorts of rare youkai to find in there, i have no idea how the game detects that you have both versions of the game but it must save something to the SD card to let the other game know. Also discovered the wanted youkai quest is back & it comes with horrible penaltys if you dont succeed. In the first game you had to find a wanted youkai roaming about if you caught it 3 times on 3 separate days you got an item password to enter at the bank to get a trophy.

Oh this time around it's different you get a wanted poster & have to find it within a deadline if you don't find it in time then you get a penalty, for 48 hours you can no longer use the gashapon machine, selection coins or get the key for the interlock dungeon lol. I have only 3 days left till my first deadline expires. Hope i can find it, the game will let you know when a penalty is active when you boot it up a message appears on the screen to let you know.

Comment

More fun unlockables today, there are 9 local youkai that you can find they are called local youkai as in local to a set area of Japan from Hokkaido right down to Okinawa in the south. Normally you have to get the passwords off the cards that the ukiukipedia arcade spits out each regions machines will be the only ones that have that certan cards in them but some lovely person has put all 9 passwords up online so i can get them as well, each one gives you a region coin which when redeemed at the youkai gashapon machine will give you that character to use in the game. So many things to find in this game

This vid explains more
                      Last edited by importaku; 24-07-2014, 15:16.

Comment

After a weeks daily battling with donchan & tempting him with bags of crisps the bugger has finally decided that he wants to be my friend YAY, now training him up so he isn't a liability in my team. Been exploring a lot of the extra features recently including the youkai busters mode, this extra is a lot of fun it's basically the oni time part of the main game but expanded a lot more. you basically have 4 types you can be attacker, defender, support ect.... then you select your youkai from your team with who you want to play with. You are whisked to a random part of town where you have to survive for as long as possible against the red oni, his weird eyeball things are constantly on the lookout for you so you have to be pretty stealthy at times. In the meantime you can find items scattered about to help like rocket punches to shut up the eyeball ghost if it spots you or energy drinks allowing you to run flat out if you get spotted (oh you'll need to run for sure) in between survivng you are on the lookout for oni orbs with these they allow you to get more powerful & rare items from the oni gashapon machine when you complete a level the more you get the more powerful the gauge when using the machine. The level ends when the oni timer has run down & the escape door appears.

Also tried online battling you can either go against friends on your friendlist or choose a random internet battle i chose random battle & promptly got my ass handed to me by a Japanese elementary schoolkid, i swear they are godlike at this game lol. My youkai are approaching level 50 but online everyone has maxed out theirs so i didn't stand a chance. I'll get my revenge one day.

Been exploring the henge feature in the game, as you play you will probably end up with doubles of youkai that want to join you. In the first game i didn't bother accepting them as friends as it just fills your list with too many unwanted extras. In the second game you can transform them into items, when you goto the shrine in Kemamoto you can make a youkai revert into a soul with one of the 8 alignments. Once cnverted to souls you can combine them together levelling them up in the process, once you have levelled one up they have alsorts of attribute boosts & effects you can then equip them onto other youkai like an item. a pretty interesting feature.

Comment

Thought people might like to see what the stamp rally is all about, the one in the game is a common thing in Japan. There is actually a youkai watch based stamp rally running in Japan at the moment. Just like in the game you pick up a rally card at the starting train station you then have to get to all the stations marked on the card & use the stamp at each station to fill all the blanks in if you manage it you take it back & hand it in for an exclusive gift. Seems the gift in this video is of one of the trading cards, it's a fun way to spend the day if you love travelling by train. I'd love to try it myself one day.

Here's a video of some kids attempting the stamp rally

Comment

Now finished the honke version of the game currently racked up 35 hours & well into the post game content again, got my watch upto S rank & discovered that the giant shrine tree has the same hidden lift from the first game meaning i can travel into the youkai world & explore the massive dungeon from the end of the first game it was nice to see it was still there. Managed to also get the key to the infinite hell dungeon although im still too weak to go in there though if i go further than the first floor i get totally wiped out.

Got caught out on the pedestrian crossing i forgot to press the button, i had obviously broke the 5 crossing limit for just running blindly out onto the middle of the road without waiting for the green light so Namahage appeared & dragged me into a battle, unfortunately for Namahage he pulled me in when all my youkai were in the mid 40 level range so i totally beat the crap out of him & got him to join my team which was a pleasant bonus as he isn't an easy one to recruit. Towards the south of town there is an apartment block that has a lot of apartments you can go in but most of the doors are locked, i have discovered that around the game hidden away in chests are keys to these apartments so once you find one you can go back & explore the rooms usually they have a chest in with some decent high level item. Also found the kids that initiate the tresure hunt quests, they hand you a crudely drawn map & you have to work out where it is in the game & retrieve the treasure, managed to find the first one so far but the second map has be stumped at the moment.

Currently spending today fishing, compled the quest for the owner of the fishing boat in Nagisaki he wanted to see 3 certain fish which i managed to find so now he will take me out to sea in his boat so now i have access to the rarer deep sea fishing spots. Some rather good fish out there which i can sell for a tidy profit, also been racing the local kids in town as once you have your bike they will let you take part in the bike races, they are a fun distraction as you have to make your way through a set route while various youkai get in your way to try & slow you down. If you manage to come first you get some decent items, won a couple of races at various parts of the city so now unlocked another trophy in my list although there are a lot on that list and i have only got a hgandful so far i can see this game easily passing the 100 hour mark for content.

Something weird is happening with this thread though, i can't understand why there are several thousand views i didn't think that many people on this site would be reading this lol, think it might be broken. Still i'll keep posting my impressions as it's a fab game.

Comment

I don't think there's anything wrong with the view counter. This thread is ranking 2nd on Google for 'youkai watch 2 review', so it's not surprising that's why Charles made it so 'review' appears at the end of all the First Play thread titles now.

In fact I've noticed that BD ranks highly for many import games. I often go searching round the internet for info only to end up back here with you lot again! Lol.

Nice impressions taku, sounds like a really fun game.

Comment

Working...
                              X