Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Estate (PS4/PC/XB One) review

Third first play thread today

Grabbed the PS4 demo off the US store today, is around 2.7GB.

It's a rail shooter out this week, ?16.99 on PSN, Xbox One version to follow.
    PS+ 20% discount for buyers in the next two weeks.

The PC version came out late last year, currently has a top review score of 4/10 on Metacritic - not sure how much has been changed since then bar the control method.

Control is purely by gyroscopic movement (bar shooting, reloading etc). That put me off straight away, there isn't an option to use old fashioned controls, the touchpad is used on the PS4 controller too fairly frequently - to gesture left, right, and up to flick your characters hair out of your eyes are a jump etc. Boring even the second time you do it. - it feels forced upon you like devs trying to use the Wii U gamepad as they felt they had to.

Visually looks good and is nice and smooth moving through areas. Nice touch is the icon on the enemies saying which one will fire at you next.

The supposedly dark story is pretty cringeworthy and the unskippable initial intro didn't help, nobody really cares about the back story I'm sure.

Gameplay, works as you would expect, not bad, did seem to have to reload a bit too often for my liking, guess latter weapons won't be so bad. Rest does what it says on the tin really. There is a co-op mode, and a timed combo system like "The Club" back in the day. Not sure what rating it is, but there is a woman juggling her tits in the first ten minutes if that sort of thing is important to you.

(The offline) Co-Op mode could be fun I guess, there are online leaderboards for top scores in the full version too.

Don't know what else to add really, be interesting to hear others impressions and read a few PS4 reviews.

Feel it's overpriced compared to much on PSN and the control method won't appeal to everyone I'm sure.
    Shame as a standard control method and a lower price would have inclined more people to buy for sure.

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

???

Sorry.

Comment

You mentioned the gimmicky controls, but do they actually work? Responsive enough?

Comment

Yes you calibrate the controller when starting the game, however if you move your position from when you set them up it's a bit out of kilter - to be expected really, but can be a pain.

Responsive yes, crosshair moves quick enough and is easily controlled fairly accurately, just as well as I don't remember seeing a sensitivity option.

Can't see any PS4 version reviews online yet.

EDIT, a better trailer for it

Last edited by VR46; 25-06-2014, 11:30.

Comment

I'm sure there was an erotic VHS doing the rounds at school called "Blue Estate"...

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
            ???

Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidH
              but there is a woman juggling her tits in the first ten minutes if that sort of thing is important to you.

]
              I'm Sold

Comment

Working...
              X