No announcement yet.

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rise of the Tomb Raider comes out on Windows 10 and Steam early 2016, and PlayStation 4 "holiday 2016", Square Enix has…

Rise of the Tomb Raider has been confirmed for PC for early 2016. The game has also been confirmed for PS4 for late 2016.

Comment

'Timed exclusive'.

What ridiculousness.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
        QFT

the best bits of the new tomb raider where exploring for me and finding the hidden stuff hopefully we will see more of this in the next one, I really enjoyed the last Tomb Raider though.
        Completly agree, fantastic game start to finish. Looking forward to a new adventure

Comment

Rise will be out on PS4 Xmas 2016, it will hit PC sometime early 2016

Comment

Excellent! Hopefully it will come out at a cut price cost with all of the potential DLC included. Not to mention a nice, smooth constant 1080p at 60fps output with a graphics bump. Saying that, what is the One putting it out on? Sub par I guess...

Definitely a day one purchase from me. The first was fantastic.

DA

Comment

As long as it runs well and smoothly, does the resolution and frame-rate matter that much?

I'm aware it running at 1080p/60 fps would look nice but I'm sure it will still look alright at even 720p/ 30fps.

Let's just hope its good upon release and doesn't fall flat as the 'follow-up album' to the well received Tomb Raider reboot.

Comment

It's 900p 30.

Enough to make the gaming population puke.

Comment

Lol! Presumably performance will be similar to the definitive edition of the last game? That looked amazing imo so no worries about this one. Shame I've got to wait a year to play it though

Comment

Gaf has comparison screens of the 360 version against the XBO one. 360 holds its own well, seems a similar situation as the last game.

Comment

Looking forward to this(Xbox One),got it pre ordered with Game,wouldn't have gone with them but used my points to get it for ?32

Comment

Originally posted by Hartley Hare View Post
                        Completly agree, fantastic game start to finish. Looking forward to a new adventure
                        I don't know what game you were playing but if you think TR2013 was fantastic I must be living in a different universe.

A very significant number of dyed in the wool TR fans did not like it at all. Typical criticism is that it had turned TR into an unexceptional third person shooter with a **** story, often linear, minimal actual tomb raiding with less puzzles and hidden stuff in the whole game than you'd get in one level of old school TR. Then there is its simple platforming, thinly disguised QTEs and that annoying habit of taking over the controls for absolutely no reason whatsoever - I can wade through water and duck under beams, I don't need the game to do it for me.

The only good new thing bought to the party was the stealth option possible in some areas. I must admit I enjoyed the section with the platforms on the trees in the dark although I was playing stuff like this but better in stealth games 17 years ago (Tenchu).

I played TR: Underworld and TR2013 back to back less than six months ago and I preferred Underworld by a long way. It even had some areas, like the undersea statues, where I could believe that Crystal Dynamics had finally begun to understand what makes for great TR gameplay. Then they came up with their TR2013 second reboot and proved they hadn't.

Despite all this Rise of the TR is still of great interest to me but that is to are large extent just to discover what new ways CD have to found to disappoint me. Maybe I'll be wrong and it turn out brilliant but I suspect not, it will just be more of the same: competent but unremarkable.
                        Last edited by fallenangle; 08-11-2015, 00:14.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG EDD View Post
                          Looking forward to this(Xbox One),got it pre ordered with Game,wouldn't have gone with them but used my points to get it for ?32
                          Just hope they don't cancel your order like the recent Fallout debacl

Comment

I don't know what game you were playing but if you think TR2013 was fantastic I must be living in a different universe
                            Could say the same about you . Don't know what game you were playing that thought TR 20013 was one of the best adventure games I've played . Can't wait for the new one

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                              Could say the same about you . Don't know what game you were playing that thought TR 20013 was one of the best adventure games I've played . Can't wait for the new one
                              Of course to be able to compare it does rather depend on what other games of this type you've played.

I'm not trying to start an argument about this but TR2013 did polarise opinion, particularly amongst long term TR fans. They've seen two reboots by Crystal Dynamics which have taken it so far away from the original gameplay it really isn't TR any more. What are you left with? As I said: a competent, unexceptional third person shooter when compared to the best of those and their similar FPS siblings.

If they were going to dump most of what it was and the character of Lara Croft so completely rewritten why didn't they have the guts to create an entirely new leading female action/adventure game character? Undoubtedly the gaming world desperately needs more well defined, well written women, acting like women to re-balance the proliferation of stock dull, bull necked, muscle bound lead male characters.

Even in the praiseworthy Mass Effect where you're able to create a female Shepard it effectively makes little difference to the dialogue trees and how the game plays.
                              Last edited by fallenangle; 08-11-2015, 12:56.

Comment

If anything the new iteration of Tomb Raider gained a new fan in me as I think it's the best thing that's happened to the franchise. I was never a fan of the original Tomb Raider's (far too clunky to control) and even less of a fan of the character of Lara Croft. However the last game not only reinvigorated the franchise but actually made Lara a likable character. Whether the new game carries this tradition on remains to be seen but this new version of Lara is a character that I like spending time with in a game and for that reason alone I think the reboot worked.

Roll on the 13th.

Comment

Working...
                                X