Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gamecube Component or Saurian RGB cable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct. No PAL GC games support prog scan.

Also, someone has reverse engineered the component cable and made his own....

Also, there's little difference on a modern flatscreen between 480i and 480p on the GC because the TV deinterlaces for you. The main difference would be noticed between a normal CRT and a CRT that supports 480p.

The RGB cable would be ok, but on a modern TV, head for the component cable.

Comment

I got back into the gamecube recently, and couldn't get a decent pic on a LED TV. I tried a HDMI converter with it but found that a modded wii running gecko with a wii component was the cheapest/best way to play on a new tv. With a bit of hunting it only cost me about ?10 for the wii component opposed to the ?100 plus a gamecube component would cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Lebowski View Post
        I got back into the gamecube recently, and couldn't get a decent pic on a LED TV. I tried a HDMI converter with it but found that a modded wii running gecko with a wii component was the cheapest/best way to play on a new tv. With a bit of hunting it only cost me about ?10 for the wii component opposed to the ?100 plus a gamecube component would cost.
        Forgive my ignorance but did you just need the mod (gecko) to allow you to play NTSC games or does it grant some other visual benefit? I'm leaning towards the wise suggestions here for a 2nd hand wii and my games are UK so maybe I don't need any mods?

Comment

Gecko is an app for the homebrew channel that let's you load any region GC games. You need to mod the Wii first so that you can install the homebrew channel and from there you are all set.

Comment

From Wikipedia

Both the NTSC-U and PAL versions have been programmed to support 480p. As long as an NTSC signal is detected and the component cable is connected, the game will automatically run in 480p. Using the GameCube Freeloader (V1.06 or V1.06B) on a PAL console will force a NTSC signal.
            So it is possible for a few titles

It's not really my area though as I only had NTSC stuff.
            Last edited by smouty; 02-09-2014, 19:29.

Comment

Yeah, Buffy: Chaos Bleeds did from memory...

Comment

Originally posted by Briareos View Post
                Forgive my ignorance but did you just need the mod (gecko) to allow you to play NTSC games or does it grant some other visual benefit? I'm leaning towards the wise suggestions here for a 2nd hand wii and my games are UK so maybe I don't need any mods?
                It's a softmod just search for the letterbomb mod and it takes about 2 minutes to install

Comment

Thanks for all the info, in the space of time we have had this conversation I have managed to buy a 2nd hand Wii on eBay for ?25 all told, as you all said much cheaper than the the ?150 for a component cable or even the ?40 ish that rgb scarts seem to be going for! I don't think that I'll need their homebrew as all my cube games are PAL so I don't think I can force 480p out of them anyway. I may install it to allow me to play my ntsc Wii games on it though...

Anyway thanks again everyone!
                  Last edited by Briareos; 02-09-2014, 20:48.

Comment

Originally posted by smouty View Post
                    Key word in that Wikipedia article: NTSC titles. It is NTSC games that are being forced to output in 480p on a PAL console, not the PAL console naturally outputting in a 480p resolution.

PAL GC games cannot be forced to output in 480p on a PAL GC because the option is never there to begin with.

Comment

OK. I can see that. It shows how long it's been as I knew there was a reason to never buy PAL Nintendo gear

Comment

Yeah, I had to load up freeloader version b before playing Resi 4 on my PAL GC back in the day. looked glorious on my 36" 480p CRT even though it didnt support 16:9

Comment

Some PAL titles can be forced to output 480p, my old Cube with a Xeno modchip could do it. Compatibility with NTSC titles was higher though. Some games that don't 'officially' support 480p can be forced. I think Gecko OS can do the same with GameCube titles on the Wii.

It was extremely useful because at the time I used the Saurian VGA cable, which only supported 480p on most monitors.

Comment

Originally posted by sj33 View Post
                            Some PAL titles can be forced to output 480p, my old Cube with a Xeno modchip could do it.
                            Are you sure you're not getting 480p confused with 480i?

I remain really sceptical about this, to say this least.
                            Last edited by Nu-Eclipse; 03-09-2014, 15:28.

Comment

Both the NTSC-U and PAL versions have been programmed to support 480p. As long as an NTSC signal is detected and the component cable is connected, the "progressive option" will appear. Using the GameCube Freeloader (V1.06 or V1.06B) on a PAL console will force a NTSC signal.
                              Mentioned a few times on that Wiki page.

Comment

Originally posted by Nu-Eclipse View Post
                                Are you sure you're not getting 480p confused with 480i?

I remain really sceptical about this, to say this least.
                                It's not so strange. Both PAL and NTSC versions are going to be rendering at the same resolution internally (except for a few odd cases such as optimised 50Hz-only games). It's only the output flags that differ. Spoof those, and you're often good to go.

Comment

Working...
                                X