Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bungie have fired Marty O'Donnell

Saw that. No mention of why.

I'm sure 343i studios would love some of his input!

Comment

The responses are incredible:

Without him there I won't be buying Destiny
      Do they realise that every other videogame they've ever played also didn't have music by this man?

Wonder what the story is though?

Comment

Makes you wonder what the story is. Quite unusual to publish it on their official website if it really was a firing rather than mutual parting.

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
          Do they realise that every other videogame they've ever played also didn't have music by this man?
          Whilst the reactions have been OTT, he's apparently one of the few people at Bungie who remained from the Halo 1 days. Much of people's faith about Destiny comes from the ever-present narrative that it's "by the people that made Halo"; with every key staff member that leaves, that gradually ceases to be the case.

Games are, in the end, the product of staff. I dislike the "cult of personality" that often springs up around major industry figures, because a videogame is usually the creative work of many people over a long period of time, and reducing that to an individual, even a talented one, is reductionist.

Even so, O'Donnell's music was always very core to the Halo experience, and was always good. His leaving is a blow.

Comment

Didn't realise other Bungie staff had left. I can't help but be worried that Bungie only had the one good game in them (Halo CE) and that Destiny will disappoint. I do hope that's not the case though because it could be a stunner!

Comment

Originally posted by Brad View Post
              Didn't realise other Bungie staff had left. I can't help but be worried that Bungie only had the one good game in them (Halo CE) and that Destiny will disappoint. I do hope that's not the case though because it could be a stunner!
              Destiny has been in gestation since the end of halo ce so its had enough time spent on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
                O'Donnell's music was always very core to the Halo experience, and was always good. His leaving is a blow.
                I can't have imagined that he was let go for anything except something of his own doing.
                I've never really got everyone's obsession with him, Halo 4's soundtrack was as good as any Halo game's OST (or any decent score of any game) in my eyes.

Thing is, who is going to employ him, will Sony have him and continue their gamer centric PR streak or will MS snap him up work on Halo games.
                Last edited by EvilBoris; 16-04-2014, 16:53.

Comment

Originally posted by sj33 View Post
                  Makes you wonder what the story is. Quite unusual to publish it on their official website if it really was a firing rather than mutual parting.
                  Teabagging the intern for messing up his synth patches?

Comment

Fondling Paul McCartneys hair plugs?

Comment

Working...
                    X