Mercenary Kings ps4 review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercenary Kings ps4 review

the best way to sum this game up is MetalSlug with missions, an active reload mechanic, and resource collection to build guns. It's full of charm and really nicely put together with little winks to popular culture and gaming culture.

mission briefings via codec made me chuckle

The sprite work is great here and reminds me of the scott pilgram game in this department, nice and chunky and some great retro styled animations. Detail and level design are nowhere near as good as Metalslug though, its not as interactive either and it all comes across as a bit flat, I was most disappointed to see that i couldn't shoot the Enemy flags its a little thing but being able to blow up bits of the world added to metal slug and made the world more vibrant.

It has pacing issues too, and feels a little bit slow to start with, the enemies take multiple shots, and hide behind cover far too long so its normally a case of shoot duck shoot shoot duck, theirs no diagonal shooting either so if say an enemy sniper is above you, its a case of jumping and shooting multiple times depending on your gun, my fist gun took 5 shots to kill a sniper so it slowed the pace of the game down to a crawl, I'm sure this will be negated once you level up your guns though.

I may be sounding overly negative but it kept me playing for a few hours and its quite a fun game, I made the mistake of creating a really low powered gun with a massive magazine. Enemies where soaking up my bullets, so i then went the opposite route and created a double barrel shotgun which requires a reload after every shot. This gun did 2000 damage as apposed to 150 per shot, the active reload feature really came into its own with this gun and really helped the flow of shooting as, i was shooting my way thorough the level at a good pace by this point (despite the low mag capacity).

so to sum it up good fun so far, but a bit slow at first.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

I thought this was pretty poor personally, if anything, too overcomplicated for the genre, I just want to run and shoot stuff ala Metal Slug, collecting things to make in to a gun etc doesn't fit in to what should be a fairly fast paced 2D horizontal shooter in my book.
    Probably didn't give it enough time to get going properly. The fact the in game manual is 30+ pages says it all, this sort of game should be pick up and play and have fun, I didn't feel like that at all.

Sound was a bit glitchy on PS4 and I did have a blue screen error 90 seconds in to my first play.

Like the idea of retro graphics, but on a 42" TV felt they were too retro and blocky.

Negative impressions from me so far but will give it another go, so pleased I didn't actually part with any proper money for it.

Comment

I was sure I started a thread last year when I bought the early access steam version, made me never want to buy another early access game on steam ever.

Think this would have been a perfect vita game, instead it's a not so great ps4 game.
      Last night I did do a few mission remote play though and it was great, dedicated vita version would have been nice. Did notice a graphical glitch via remote play, my character would disappear every time it entered buildings or was shot.
      Can't complain as it was free then again I can complain as I spent ?15 on it on the PC and that was barren for about 4 months!
      Scott Pilgrim The Game artist, Paul Robertson is same guy who did the characters on this btw.

Oh forget to say you can get 4 player co op games going so it may be better when your having a chat and just crafting away but as a single player it's pretty meh.
      Last edited by Family Fry; 03-04-2014, 08:45.

Comment

gave this a rip last night, and i thought it was abit cobblers. Managed to hold my attention for about 15mins - might get better though with time

I was expecting an accessible metal slug game from the off
        Last edited by dvdx2; 03-04-2014, 08:55.

Comment

I put money into the Kickstarter so have the PC version and now downloaded the PS4 version and they are almost identical apart from some button usage. I also think its a slow start and not very accessible even when compared to games like Metal Slug. I am actually pretty disappointed on how it turned out.

Comment

It's more monster hunter in its set up than metal slug as its about doing missions collecting resources and building better Stuff, if you like that kind of progression your gonna be at home here (i dont mind it) if you want something more immediate its not gonna float your boat, which is a bit at odds with a twitch shooter, its like there holding you back and slowing you down to prompt you to upgrade, but this is at the cost of the gameplay, its an odd fit.

Comment

Deleted after 25 mins. Wanted it to be a metal slug style 2d arcade shooter, ended up with some mish mash mission based metroidvania wannabe

Comment

Glad it's not just me who thinks it missed the mark, amazed to see review scores of 8 and even 9 out of ten at some places.

Can't see many people putting in the time required to reap the benefits of the game which is sad, mainly due to the early inaccessibility as a fun game as dvdx2 virtually said.

Surely feedback from the PC version highlighted some of peoples impressions but the devs didn't really take this on board.

Comment

Average it the best way to sum it up, just little niggly things annoying me like the sound glitches, long load times, no 8 way and I found the ds4 does not like me trying to use just my thumb for jumping shots with bolt weapon.. kept doing weak jumps.

Comment

Played for 30 minutes, didn't enjoy it at all. Too confusing and how can this type of game have such long load times! Not my cup of tea at all.

Comment

I found it was just so slow paced, even during the missions, the movement, actions, everything was so plodding. A shame, the screenshots I'd seen got me excited, but sadly this isn't for me.

Comment

Downloaded it...will delete it after reading your thoughts...my backlog is too big to waste time on stuff that sounds so dull.

Comment

If it must be compared to Metal Slug -

It doesn't play as well as MS.
                          It's nowhere near the fun of MS.
                          It doesn't sound as good as MS.
                          It's a thousand times less good looking than MS.

Metal Slug came out in 1996.

Comment

Stuck this on for 20 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed it. But I'm a sucker for MH type grindy games.

Comment

I've still got the neo geo cd versions of metal slug 1 and 2 , and they are way way better than this, glad I didn't pay for it, it's average at best.

Comment

Working...
                              X