X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ADDED: Gradius + Commentary / SUPERGUN REPLAY: Shinobi 1cc

Gradius (Arcade) Commentary + Tips - Completed 1 Life

------

Here is 1CC of Shinobi done on my Supergun. I only have 2 PCBs left now so I am limited what arcade stuff I can play until I get my AstroCity + GroovyMame back up and running. There were a few hiccups in this run: on 4-3 the Supergun speaker nearly fell off the monitor and I had to catch it quickly.. and I also lost a bloody life on the last boss.. I didn't have enough time to do another run so I just uploaded it anyway. *I explain at the end of the video why I died...and excuse the spazout!

It's strange. This is the exact PCB I used to play in Big-John's Video shop back in the 80's and every Sunday I used to go into town to play this. Years later I'm doing the exact same thing on the same PCB. Except this time I am sat in my PJs..

Last edited by ExMosquito; 18-10-2014, 15:27.

whoops, working now.

Comment

Shinobi.... absolute classic and my favourite arcade game! Excellent completion video!

Comment

I used to 1cc this back when I was at college (about 17 or 18 years old) had some bitter competition going for the high score with some other lads. On one occasion when I was about to complete the game one of these lads turned the power off on the machine to prevent me beating his friends high score!

edit: Why dont you take part in the bonus stages, was a bit confused about that.
        Last edited by baad bwoy; 11-10-2014, 16:16.

Comment

When you didn't do anything at the bonus stage I thought you had found some secret to always getting "perfect" or something.... Awesome video!

Comment

I'm assuming it's so he can show he doesn't need extra lives to complete it. Or he's crap at them :P

Comment

First and second bonus mission are doable, but after that very difficult. I think its worth getting as many extra lives as possible on Shinobi if looking to get the highest score possible, as if I remember correctly at the end of stage 2.1 it is possible to rack up more points by shooting the ninjas which come at you from the helicopter, than can be gained with any time bonus on completing the stage, this is a scoring anomaly (I believe)...you need to let the time run out each attempt to get most points possible. Ideally you would leave yourself one life to do rest of game, this should be doable.

Comment

Heh ta. Yeah, Striders right. I used to be able to do all the bonus stages but I'm a bit pit practice on them these days so I just skipped them. It's a pretty easy game otherwise.

Baad Bwoy: Yeah, to get a highscore you need to milk the chaps spawning out of the helicopter at the end of stage 2.1, amoung other things. The bonus stages are sooo stressful if you fail on them!

Comment

Any other scoring tips you would like to pass on?

Comment

Doing every stage without using shurikens. And get special bonus and extra lives by collecting the hostages when your score ends on a certain number. Playing for score makes the game waaaay harder :/
                    Last edited by ExMosquito; 17-10-2014, 13:52.

Comment

Just hearing shinobi playing brings back memories of going in to Bits N' Bytes to get a new game for my "Speccy" they had the arcade cab in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by ExMosquito View Post
                        Doing every stage without using shurikens. And get special bonus and extra lives by collecting the hostages when your score ends on a certain number. Playing for score makes the game waaaay harder :/
                        Yeah doing every stage without shurikens would up the intensity somewhat, wouldn't mind seeing a video of someone doing that

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
                          Yeah doing every stage without shurikens would up the intensity somewhat, wouldn't mind seeing a video of someone doing that
                          Have a look for a player called 'BenShinobi' on the daily-motion website. He has the current world record on Shinobi. It's quite amazing to watch!

Comment

UPDATE ADDED:

Gradius (Arcade) Commentary + Tips - Completed 1 Life

Comment

Cheers Ex Mosquito, will check that out

Comment

Working...
                              X