High School Musical: Makin' The Cut (DS) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High School Musical: Makin' The Cut (DS) review

Rhythm action game. Circles fill up require you to tap them when full signified by turning green. You can hit them slightly early, but if you a microsecond late it's a fail. They just randomly appear on the screen in "dance" mode, or appear overlayed on various instruments in "music" mode (but they are not fooling anyone - it's the same mode really!).

Sometimes, the timing is bang on. Other times it seems totally broken.

Some dreadful 3D characters dance around on the top screen, again not caring if you've selected Dance or Music mode.

I assume this music is awesome if you like High School Musical.

Kill me now.

Anyway, the average score on Metacritic for this is 66.
    IGN gave it 75. Does not compute (unless they needed to please advertisers, which would obviously not be a real factor outside of my imagination)

I was thinking of asking my kids if they could give me some feedback, but I don't want to inflict this on them. It might put them off gaming.
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    0%

P.S. I got a load of games along with a DS I got off ebay. That's where this came from. I didn't go out and actively seek this game. Please believe me. Honest.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
      P.S. I got a load of games along with a DS I got off ebay. That's where this came from. I didn't go out and actively seek this game. Please believe me. Honest.
      Of course Charles, of course.

Comment

Obviously any Xbox or Playstation versions would be entirely credible as they have achievements/trophies.

Comment

See I told you it would be worth playing thanks for the impressions, I love hearing about crappy games like this as stuff like this will be lost to the caverns of time no doubt.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr
            Rhythm action game. Circles fill up require you to tap them when full signified by turning green. You can hit them slightly early, but if you a microsecond late it's a fail. They just randomly appear on the screen in "dance" mode, or appear overlayed on various instruments in "music" mode (but they are not fooling anyone - it's the same mode really!).

Sometimes, the timing is bang on. Other times it seems totally broken.

Some dreadful 3D characters dance around on the top screen, again not caring if you've selected Dance or Music mode.

I assume this music is awesome if you like High School Musical.

Kill me now.

Anyway, the average score on Metacritic for this is 66.
            IGN gave it 75. Does not compute (unless they needed to please advertisers, which would obviously not be a real factor outside of my imagination)

I was thinking of asking my kids if they could give me some feedback, but I don't want to inflict this on them. It might put them off gaming.
            Man talk about blast from the past, burn ever copy you find want to know a secret charlesr

I worked on this game and it is one of a number of **** Disney games I had the miss fortune to work on, least I'm not credited on this one phew, but am on a few other **** games.

Rubbish game avoid like the plague, these type of games were made cheaply and quickly, many of them also sadly turned a profit, so we kept putting them out.

Here's a nice bit of trivial no one will know or care about but one of the High School Musical games (High School Musical: Sing It! I think it was) caused a bit of a fuss in the office as they had to internally delay the thing due to the game displaying the song text as a blurry mess on a HD TV. It was about a month from release at the time and European marketing had us European QA look at the game, we all agreed the text was unreadable. For some reason the USA operation were ignoring the issue and just wanted it out, I was standing next to my QA boss, marketing and Director of Disney Interactive Europe as we showed it to them. Everyone was non too impressed the US missed this issue and after thanking us the director said he wasn't going to allow the game to be released with that issue, the game was delayed by about 3 months and I suspect someone in the USA got into trouble for it.

That same game also had a little know typo in the PS2 manual which resulted in a worded being mispelt close to a swear word think it was c*** that made a issue of the metro.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/08/21/i-swea...lyrics-410234/ (Here you go 2008, seems like a life time away now.)

One last tip charlesr, Disney Tangled: The Video Game on DS is the worse game I have ever played, it makes High School Musical look like Street Fighter II if you were forced to compare them at gun point.
            Last edited by S3M; 25-03-2014, 10:27.

Comment

Originally posted by metro news story from above
              ‘He asked what it meant and I got a shock – I couldn’t believe that something like that could be printed,’ said the 41-year-old from Gosforth, Newcastle.
              this made me laugh she couldn't believe the word **** could be printed in error

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                Man talk about blast from the past, burn ever copy you find want to know a secret charlesr

I worked on this game and it is one of a number of **** Disney games I had the miss fortune to work on, least I'm not credited on this one phew, but am on a few other **** games.

Rubbish game avoid like the plague, these type of games were made cheaply and quickly, many of them also sadly turned a profit, so we kept putting them out.

Here's a nice bit of trivial no one will know or care about but one of the High School Musical games (High School Musical: Sing It! I think it was) caused a bit of a fuss in the office as they had to internally delay the thing due to the game displaying the song text as a blurry mess on a HD TV. It was about a month from release at the time and European marketing had us European QA look at the game, we all agreed the text was unreadable. For some reason the USA operation were ignoring the issue and just wanted it out, I was standing next to my QA boss, marketing and Director of Disney Interactive Europe as we showed it to them. Everyone was non too impressed the US missed this issue and after thanking us the director said he wasn't going to allow the game to be released with that issue, the game was delayed by about 3 months and I suspect someone in the USA got into trouble for it.

That same game also had a little know typo in the PS2 manual which resulted in a worded being mispelt close to a swear word think it was c*** that made a issue of the metro.

http://metro.co.uk/2008/08/21/i-swea...lyrics-410234/ (Here you go 2008, seems like a life time away now.)

One last tip charlesr, Disney Tangled: The Video Game on DS is the worse game I have ever played, it makes High School Musical look like Street Fighter II if you were forced to compare them at gun point.
                It's always great when a company with a squeaky clean image like Disney ends up messing up. I worked in their animation department from 1989- 1994 and it was a particularly bad time for controversy. There was the Little Mermaid penis poster: http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/D...es/DSprick.jpg, the Lion King talking book: http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/rafiki.asp, Jessica Rabbit's crotch shot: http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...d-roger-rabbit, plus a load of sex and drug party stories about the staff at the newly opened Disneyland Paris.

Comment

We should arrange a Bordersdown sex and drug party.

Comment

Originally posted by kellog7 View Post
                    It's always great when a company with a squeaky clean image like Disney ends up messing up. I worked in their animation department from 1989- 1994 and it was a particularly bad time for controversy. There was the Little Mermaid penis poster: http://www.anomalies-unlimited.com/D...es/DSprick.jpg, the Lion King talking book: http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/rafiki.asp, Jessica Rabbit's crotch shot: http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2...d-roger-rabbit, plus a load of sex and drug party stories about the staff at the newly opened Disneyland Paris.
                    Glad to hear I'm not the only ex-house of the mouse staffer here, yes some thing really don't change we had plenty of drug stories too during my time.

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot abot the topless woman in 'The Rescuers': http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/rescuers.asp.

Comment

In the same pile, I have Spongebob and the Creature from the Krusty Krab for GBA. Wondering if I should fire it up. IGN was pretty upbeat: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2006/11/0...-krab-review-3

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                          We should arrange a Bordersdown sex and drug party.
                          I'm still getting over the last one where we played F-zero DX on Importaku's crazy screen glasses and Samba Di Amigo...

Comment

Originally posted by Briareos View Post
                            I'm still getting over the last one where we played F-zero DX on Importaku's crazy screen glasses and Samba Di Amigo...
                            Oh yeah! I forgot you were at that one.

Those "crazy screen glasses" were actually an early Nintendo VR prototype that Importaku somehow got his hands on before they sold the tech to Sony, which is now Project Morpheus.

Also "F-Zero DX", that'd be a good name for a 3DS re-release of the N64 game.

Comment

Working...
                            X