No announcement yet.

MCU: Captain America 3: Civil War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So Civil War follows Avengers 2, which means I'm guessing we're going to get the setup for Cap vs Iron Man in Avengers. That might be pretty cool. Looks like an awesome line-up of movies. Very interested in Captain Marvel and GotG2.

Comment

Curious that Ant Man is off the list, presumably it bumps it into Phase 2. Three films a year soon as well. Gonna be awful hard to fit in things like sequels to all these soon.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Press Start' View Post
        I would like to see a Muslim Captain America.....that would be good.
        That would never happen unfortunately.

Sam Jackson as Nick Fury was a controversy...America I don't understand why still hasn't been able to include blacks in media. Infact it has regressed - the 90s were full of black sitcoms.

If America cannot get along with its black minority yet, one with it since the inception of America, dislikedones like Muslims don't stand a chance

Hollywood is worst, watching Hollywood film you'd be forgiven for thinking America is predominantly white, who often have wise black sage teaches or sidekicks - that east Asians have only just arrived in America, judging from how they're only now getting minor roles in Hollywood major films - and that the only brown people who exist are ones with white names or are atheists, like Mindy Kaling and Aziz Ansari.

Then there was the Wonderful 99, a Muslim-centric comic and cartoon aimed at Muslim kids. Even that was 'sharia creep', Pam Gellar and Robert Spencer and BareNaked and the usual crew made a VERY BIG DEAL out of it.

Muslim Captain America.....I mean Michele Malkin was pissed that the guy who played Superman in Superman Returns wasn't white enough

Britain's not much better, took 20 years to have a brown family in Eastenders - and they quickly became children-abandoning/incestuous

I would settle for a nonwhite Captain America of any stripe, but that would never , ever happen either.
        Last edited by usman; 29-10-2014, 03:08.

Comment

I guess the strange thing for me as an atheist is the idea that we would define any superhero by their faith. Do people ever think: man, I'd love to see a Lutheran Spider-Man? Or a Buddhist Cyclops? Presumably Captain America is a Christian of some sort given where and when he came from but I don't think I know that for sure because I haven't seen it play much of a role. At least in modern media.

Diversity is good and I'm all for it. I suppose it's just my own lack of faith makes me wonder why this particular aspect would matter. Perhaps that in itself is a reason that it does matter...?

Comment

Diversity in skin colour is fine. I'd rather keep religious beliefs out of my comicbooks though.

Having a hard time even figuring out how a muslim superhero would work tbh. Wouldn't he just fly around killing gays and beheading none believers? that doesn't seem hero worthy.

Comment

Uh oh, you've done it now, Kit...

I don't know why Captain America should represent some off-shoot branch of Judaism that makes up 0.6% of Americans.

Maybe muslims should instead create their own super heroes, like Captain Iran. Although I'm not sure if that is allowed in said country.
              Last edited by Guts; 29-10-2014, 09:55.

Comment

While Islam takes a hell of allot of cues from Judaism, I think that saying Islam is an off shoot of Judaism is going abit too far imo. Anyway I agree about the faith issue and comics, Super Hero's need to be neutral so everyone can relate to them. That's what I love about the concept of the super hero, they are so universal.

Comment

I think you're over-thinking it, IDR.
                  Although Muslims played a large part in WWII, it was mainly for the British forces in India.

There were hardly any American Muslim soldiers, so if Captain America was written as a Muslim, it would have felt more contrived.
                  Besides, when Timely Comics produced the first issue, it was in 1941 and was intended to have a patriotic hero because the writers, Joe Simon and Jack Kirby objected to the actions of Nazi Germany.

So he is very much a product of his time.

However, Marvel have many different universes (Earth 616 regular Marvel, 1610 Ultimates, Zobies 2149, movies 199999 etc.) and there may be one with a Muslim Cap some day. Captain Britain was a Muslim woman for a few panels, so who knows?!

I don't remember there being a controversy about Samuel L. Jackson playing Nick Fury?
                  When Marvel launched the Ultimates comics, they started from scratch and changed looooads of things, including drawing Fury exactly like Samuel L. jackson. I imagine there'd have been more complaints if he didn't look like either the 616 or 1610 Furys!

I would never use Eastenders as a benchmark, but in its defense, when it launched, the writers actually strove to have a modern, diverse ethnic community by including the the Osmans (Anglo-Cypriat), Jefferys (Bangladeshi) and Carpenters (black).
                  Nobody ever has a happy ending in Eastenders though, so I wouldn't single anybody out as having a rough deal.

I have no problem with any superhero having a faith, I just don't think it should define them.
                  I love the line in The Avengers where Captain America says "There's only one God, ma'am, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't dress like that."
                  He's not preaching or labouring a point, it's a light-hearted quip.

Comment

@Kit, Yeah, because that's what all Muslims do

Comment

In the Avengers thread, there is a pic from the event and where the Civil War title is on most images, instead it says Captain America Serpent Society. What was that about?

Comment

Apparently the Serpents title was to jokingly throw off fans who thought they had it figured out before the event, they then revealed Civil War was the correct title. There's a leaked cam vid doing the rounds on youtube of a teaser for Avengers 3 too, all reused footage except for the last shot which is of Thanos clenching his fist on which he's wearing the Infinity Gauntlet

Comment

Ah okay, that sounds like fun. Nice to have a bit of a laugh with the fans.

Comment

In the wake of yesterday’s big announcement of Marvel Studios’ slate of Phase Three films, Marvel head honcho Kevin Feige has answered various questions that fans will have about the line-up, and more what films/characters are missing for it. Feige answered these questions in a twenty-minute interview following the presentation, a full write-up can be […]

Feige says this will not be about secret identities and will instead be about who oversees super heroes. Seems to fit well with the direction Avengers 2 is taking the series.

Comment

So who or what replaces Shield seeing as it kinda no longer exists.

Comment

Originally posted by darkangel View Post
                                While Islam takes a hell of allot of cues from Judaism, I think that saying Islam is an off shoot of Judaism is going abit too far imo.
                                They're (Judaism, Christianity, Islam) all Abrahamic religions, they share the same origins. Essentially, they're the same thing in a different wrapper. Which would make all the antipathy and hatred between the practitioners of each pretty funny, if it weren't so horrible and depressing.

Comment

Working...
                                X