Original Xbox and VGA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Original Xbox and VGA?

looking at picking up yet another Xbox for emulation, and will have Coinops/Visionary installed.

i was hoping to use one of my PC monitors which have VGA and possibly build a bartop arcade and use it for the guts of it rather than a PC, and my X-arcade stick.

i've searched for a VGA lead but all that come up are ones for the 360, are there VGA lead for this machine?

any help appreciated...
    Last edited by beecee; 24-01-2014, 11:20.

There are no official VGA leads as such. All those that claimed to be a 'VGA' cable actually transcoded the Component signal.

But that makes things a little easier for you, as any Component-to-VGA transcoder will do the job for you. Something like this, for example. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/K1BO-YPbPr...item3f2c6570d0

To be honest, there are a million and one different devices like this, maybe somebody can recommend one with a bundled XBox 1 component cable.

Comment

i do have an XRGB2+.....that i forgot i had.

and a hi def pack, (unofficial) so can get component out from it.
      Last edited by beecee; 24-01-2014, 10:53.

Comment

That's ideal then, and the best way to go.

Many so-called 'VGA cables' existed for the original XBox, but they all just had transcoders built into the cable. Your XRGB2+ would give better quality.

There was an unofficial firmware mod for the XBox that added native VGA, but it didn't work with an awful lot of games, and is probably not worth bothering with.

Comment

cheers for the replies...

will rake out the xrgb when i pick up the brick!

Comment

Yeah, Component and XRGB combo should give you the best results on a flatscreen.

You lucky git!

Comment

Why would you need an xrgb to up scale an already HD signal?

Doesnt Coin-ops output 720p/1080i via component?

Edit. Ah, your looking to use vga
              Last edited by dvdx2; 24-01-2014, 11:42.

Comment

I believe 720p max and original xbox RGB output isnt great although component is a marked improvement. Xrb should present much nicer improvements in the visual department.

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                  I believe 720p max and original xbox RGB output isnt great although component is a marked improvement. Xrb should present much nicer improvements in the visual department.
                  I thought that about the xbox rgb out, until i turned of the forced smoothing. Now its as pin sharp as any other console via the official rgb scart lead

Comment

Upscaling is entirely optional and may be beneficial, but the main thing is to transcode the Component signal to VGA, which the XRGB2+ will do.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                      I thought that about the xbox rgb out, until i turned of the forced smoothing. Now its as pin sharp as any other console via the official rgb scart lead
                      How did you turn off the forced smoothing?

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                        How did you turn off the forced smoothing?
                        Think it was in the dash settings of my modded xbmc

Comment

You can do that from several dashes: XBMC and UnleashX have 5 flicker filter settings and and an on/off image smoothing option. It really depends on the dash source or softmod package and maybe even BIOS you've used in the case of chipped Xboxes as to the default flicker filter setting and whether the "Soften" option is on or off.

Comment

Working...
                          X