Film of the Year 2013 - Closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, rmoxon.

As a Godzilla fan, assuming your avatar isn't just a metaphor for your collosal erroneousness, you really should have got a kick out of Pacific Rim. The sight of a giant robot dragging a ship ready to batter a giant alien monster into next week should have made you squeal with delight. I'm guessing the spectacle was lost on you though as you watched it on a handycam-recorded pirate version on your laptop, as usual.

You need to relinquish your Godzilla profile pic for one of Barney.

I've ranted many times on my hatred on shaky-cam making action sequences pointless. Pacific Rim didn't suffer from this, Man of Steel did.

However, it wasn't the pointless fight with Zod and the gang which looked a giant CGI Newton's Cradle with them alternating throwing each other through buildings for 40 minutes, it just felt like they had a handful of plot points they wanted to get to and just made up anything to get between them.

(Spoilers ahoy)
    Krypton's about to explode, but hey, we've still got time to banish Zod and his chums, thus ensuring they don't suffer the same fate as everybody else and maybe escape.

How did Earth Dad get this space capsule under his barn on his own? Why did the scientist who studied the metal fragment from it just leave it at "Sorry, it's nothing I've ever seen before. It's from space, so I can't be arsed to study it or pass on my findings to the greater scientific community."

So they wanted to make Superman understand the cost of his powers? Erm, let's have his Earth Dad sacrifice his life for a dog.

He needs to find his spaceship? Oh, how about he works at a diner near a super-secret military installation and overhears two soldiers cryptically allude to something in it (which MUST be a spaceship, only explanation, right?). He can quit his job after silently impaling a truck and then I'm sure he's got lots of underworld contacts that can create some ID forgeries convincing enough to allow him to work there and gain access to the spaceship.

Of course nobody guards a spaceship at night (Just ask Klaatu), so just check it out then. Oh, but make sure you're so overwhelmed that your superhearing doesn't alert you to Lois clunking around the ship too.

Also, let's put a Supersuit in there so he's got some invulnerable clothes to wear despite it only being a scout ship. Let's just show it, but not explain it, yeah? I'm sure most be-caped scout outfits just require the word "hope" on the front in Kryptonian. No breathing aparatus or anything.

How is Superman going to beat Zod with no knowledge of his homeworld? It's OK, don't you remember his Space Dad recorded his whole consciousness into the spaceship and can answer nearly all of his questions in perfect conversation. He can control the ship mentally too, which may come in handy later.

We need a way to show Supes is darker than before. Hey, let's have him kill Zod because he was going to zap some family! There is no possible other way this situation can be resolved, despite decades of comics that have had him avoid killing people.

Do you think anybody will notice the saved family won't have a home to go after the destruction of Metropolis? Nah, we just blew stuff up, they're mesmerised!

Not only that, but I'm sure all the lightbulbs blew in the Clarke ranch when Zod broadcast to the world and then when it finished, all the lights came back on again.

Pacific Rim knew it wasn't a serious film, but even the hammy dialogue didn't go anywhere the awful sequence in Man of Steel where a scientist gasps "They're terraforming!" camera slowly pans to simpleton army woman "Terraforming? What's THAT?!"

Why are they terraforming anyway? Surely it'd be a lot more ace to live on normal Earth that gives them a load of powers as opposed to the brown brown murky brown of Krypton that leaves them powerless again?

Surely it should be "Krypt-o-forming" or something?

I could go on at the constant stream of ill-conceived ideas that they didn't think through leading up to Super Smash Brothers, but instead I'll leave this video here that agrees with most of my points and a raises whole load more!

Comment

You completely misunderstood virtually every scene in Man of Steel by the sounds of it.

And my love for Godzilla films is exactly why I hated Pacific Rim, it didn't homage those films in any way, and if that's what it was atempting to do then it failed in a massive way. The only people who did seem to like it are those who are all like "ohhh big robots!" The film was a complete waste of time.

And I hardly ever watch pirate movies... Not sure what you're on about. I saw Pacific Rim at the cinema, and I wished Id watched a pirate copy, would have saved me a tenner.
      Last edited by rmoxon; 17-12-2013, 22:49.

Comment

Your face is a complete waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
          Your face is a complete waste of time.
          The maturity level of this statment is very much in line with the minds of the people who made Pacific Rim.

Comment

More patronising generalisation bull****, all whilst failing to address a single point raised. Congratulations, you tiresome troll. Just like the time you showed yourself up to have the notions of an objectionable kernt in an old EDF thread, you've managed to reduce an entire fanbase down into a single, misinformed simpleton-based pigeonhole.

Comment

You just described everyone on the internet.

Comment

No - just the pricks.

Comment

Well in my experience that's everyone. Everyone online thinks their opinion is more important than someone else's, and then very much like you're doing right now they go off on one like they are offended because someone says something they don't agree with.

they take everything personally. When its just a film or a game or whatever and they should just get over the fact that other people think something completely different to them.

Just let people say what they want. Doesn't hurt you..... Well beyond your pride clearly.
                  Last edited by rmoxon; 17-12-2013, 23:07.

Comment

I couldn't give a toss what you say about stuff I like. It's your manner and your attitude to people's opinions which shows a complete lack of respect, categorising them as dimwits and simpletons. Once again you fail to understand.

Comment

Man of Steel would have been ok if they had have cut out the 45 minutes worth of Superman being punched so hard he goes flying through buildings.

Jorel's use of Kinect to control his spaceship was commendable.

Comment

Originally posted by prinnysquad View Post
                        I couldn't give a toss what you say about stuff I like. It's your manner and your attitude to people's opinions which shows a complete lack of respect, categorising them as dimwits and simpletons. Once again you fail to understand.
                        Surely I'm not the first person on the planet who has called the writers of Pacific Rim immature idiots. And that's no reflection on you for liking the film anyway,

I purposely avoided calling people who like the film the same thing as to avoid an argument like this... So actually it's not my attitude that's the problem at all, but your own paranoia it seems, as I never called you anything.
                        Last edited by rmoxon; 17-12-2013, 23:19.

Comment

Man of Steel was really bad to be fair, I was actually angry at this forum for misleading me into thinking it was worth paying to see. It pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me choosing to go to the cinema. Used to go once or twice a year, always leaving disappointed, and MoS was the most disappointed I have ever been. Never again.

It really started well which is the worst thing (I don't mean the krypton bits which were terrible, I mean the early bits on earth)

Comment

i enjoyed them both

pacific rim in imax was tremendous but I admit I do love all stuff 'mechy' like gundam etc but I went to see it just as much for del toro's creations - the double team fight in the ocean with the two type 5's was smashing and as someone stated earlier I did get all giddy when a merchant ship was being dragged down the street to be used as a weapon

Man of Steel I thought was good and always wanted to see the devastation that could be created when two Kryptonian's went at it but I just wish Superman 2 had the devastation rather than the occasional billboard being flattened - Michael Shannon's Zod wasn't as good as Terence Stamp's but I did like the sub commander in the newer movie rather than Ursa

but for me the bit that wastes Man of Steel is the ending - just over too quick and should have been better, I did like the flicker of Christopher Reeve though

the beauty of the internet is that you can block people and you can choose if you want to read a post or two, but certainly guilty of downloading movies that much is true

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                              Surely I'm not the first person on the planet who has called the writers of Pacific Rim immature idiots. And that's no reflection on you for liking the film anyway,

I purposely avoided calling people who like the film the same thing as to avoid an argument like this... So actually it's not my attitude that's the problem at all, but your own paranoia it seems, as I never called you anything.

And my love for Godzilla films is exactly why I hated Pacific Rim, it didn't homage those films in any way, and if that's what it was atempting to do then it failed in a massive way. The only people who did seem to like it are those who are all like "ohhh big robots!".
                              You either have no comprehension of what you write, or a piss-poor understanding of inferred meaning. You just don't think about what you say and the way you say it.

Comment

That bits true of MoS's ending, it does feel oddly abrupt considering it's not a short film so had the room to round itself out

Comment

Working...
                                X