• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by geektanic weezmacht
    Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

versions tested:
    JPN & PAL

JPN case & disc art:
    The whole 3rd Strike cast turns out for the cover art. Very nice it is indeed. Chun Li's face is the artwork on the disc.

PAL case & disc art:
    Just Ryu/Ken and Gill upper body-head portraits. Disc art is a section of the cover in a grey gradiant scheme.

Gameplay:
    I'm no 3rd Strike expert, so i can't tell if certain combos works on one version than another. Both seem to play alright, no real differences.

JPN Language barrier:
    I would say around half of the game is in English, where the main menus/Training menus are completely in English. Only stumbing blocks are the Super Art names, win quotes, ending text, and the 'System Direction' menu - where it is totally in Japanese.
    thankfully there are a few faqs around translating all of the above.

* Nothing gameplay related, but in the JPN version when Alex has a pixel of life left, and you jab him to death he will say "Jesus"
    Also when Urien loses by a time-out he will clench his hards so blood will seep.

Both of these are ommitted from the PAL version (and the USA version, so i hear)
    Alex will just scream "Noooo"

JPN Pros:
    Better cover art. Uncensored.

JPN Cons:
    Just the 'system direction' menus/win quotes/endings are in JPN.

PAL Pros:
    60hz mode, more available to buy than the JPN version (although still hard to locate)

PAL Cons:
    slightly censored from the original JPN version.

'The definitive version' verdict:
    I would say, go for the PAL version, due to it's availability and being translated. Personally i would go for the Japanese version.
    The JPN version has a network mode also, if you can get it to work

Comment

Mario Golf: Family Tour (JPN) Vs. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (USA)

Nothing major to report apart from the name change, and the English text being substituted for Japanese (incl. character names).
      The biggest changes are the putting distances, which are measured in metres, not feet in the JPN version, and some subtle improvements have also been made to the camera angles.

Approach shots in the JPN version look nicer thanks to a TV-style zoom-out once your ball has landed.

Also, making a short-ish putt in the USA version often left you with a view of your character and no idea where the ball went...that doesn't happen as much in the JPN game.

Winner = Probably the PAL version if it includes these improvements. I'll take JPN for the smaller box though.

Comment

Panzer Dragoon Series

Panzer Dragoon
        The original PD is one of my favorites it has little in the way of story (although what it does have is crucial to laying the foundations of the panzer universe)

Both Pal and US versions have awful cover art...although the PAL one is slightly better (IIRC). The PAL version isn't PAL optimized either so it can be played on an NTSC system at full speed. The Japanese version obviously has lovely cover art and manual which folds out into a Panzer Dragoon poster, definitely the best for the collector. However the US/PAL version come with English text so if you want the full panzer story go for the US/PAL versions.

Winner

Japanese version for the artwork
        Pal/US if you want the Story (what little there is)
        Ultimately the hard-core collector would go for a JAP version and a PAL or US version/

Panzer Dragoon Zwie

Again the box art on the Jap version is superior to the PAL and US versions; however there is allot more story to be told. This time the PAL version has been optimized so if you have un-switched NTSC (50/60hz) machine AVOID the PAL version, however if you have a PAL machine this is the one for you. If you have an NTSC machine you should go for the US version of the game, as it's 60Hz and in English, shame about the art though!

Winner

If you have a PAL machine the PAL version
        If you have an NTSC machine then the US version
        If you're a hardcore collector then you should have the Jap version for the art and the US version for the text!

Panzer Saga

The Collectors dream, Ok we all know the PAL version fetches big money on ebay, however it?s the NTSC version that is in fact the rarer of the two and for once the cover art is good. However in the collect-ability stakes numbers mien nothing the PAL version has the nicest packaging of all versions and it's not optimized so it's best played on an NTSC machine (or 50/60hz switched). Of course I can't fail to mention the Japanese version, which is a tour-de-force in packaging, two spine cards (yes 2) numerous inserts and even a map shame it's an RPG and hence useless to us that can't speak Japanese! As a note all save games from all versions of PDS work on all versions so you can save your progress in the Japanese version and continue on the PAL version or US version.

Winner
        Either the PAL or the US versions are great collectors items, to be honest the PAL price is over inflated and the US version is underrated considering it had such a limited print run. You could pay 130+ for a Mint PAL copy of PDS but you would only pay 50-60 for the US version. For VFM I'd recommend the US version.

For collectors you should have either a PAL or US version and the Jap version for completeness!

And Finally!

Panzer Orta

Ok I'll make this quick there is very little to distinguish between all the versions of this game first off the cover art is good in all regions (for a change) so it's a matter of personal taste. The Text in the Japanese version is in English when played on a PAL machine no 50/60hz issues as the Xbox sets it. The only thing that throws it for me is the JAP version comes with a Limited edition Music CD with one track from each game on it?

Winner
        Japanese version by a bonus CD!

If I've missed anything let me know and I'll update this!

Cheers

Quexex

Comment

Any chance someone can do Robotech: Battlecry. Not so much the NTSC/PAL thing, but between the different formats. It would be much appreciated.

Comment

EDIT - Ack, double post.

Comment

Resident Evil - Gamecube

Versions tested: JPN/USA/PAL - 60hz included

Box art:

The JPN (mansion lobby) and USA (Jill being attacked by a Zombie) versions are adequete. Whereas the PAL (a abstract reddy/brown colour composition) version is quite frankly terrible.

Game:

Apart from the Japanese text for items/files, each version of the game is more or less exactly the same. Although the JPN and USA versions have the 'infinite grenade launcher rounds' glitch. However this has been amended in the PAL version, so you wont be able to cheat.

Verdict:

Get whichever territory your NGC is. If you have a switched import console then you might as well get the USA version if you want to understand the files/clues. As much as i like the tidy JPN box with the free memory card 59 with 'Biohazard' stickers - this will only be resigned to the collection shelf.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resident Evil 0 (zero) - Gamecube

versions tested: USA/PAL - 60hz included

Box art:

The USA has Rebecca & Billy getting ready for action, within the backdrop of the train section. PAL version has a petri dish with bacteria.

Game:

As with 'Resident Evil' i could not find any real differences to the gameplay.

Verdict:

Once again, get whichever version your NGC region is.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anubis: Zone of the Enders / Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner

Versions tested: JPN/USA

Box art:

Both are nearly the same, apart from the usual censorship logos. The JPN version has a soft smudge effect near the edges of the artwork. Whereas the USA version has nearly a complete image towards the edges edges of the cover, albeit slightly faded (orange colour)

Game:

The JPN version is more or less completely JPN in text and voices, apart from the title screen which is in English. Originally there are 4 difficulty levels in Anubis (Easy/Normal/Hard/Very Hard) but in ZOE:TSR it dispenses with Easy mode.

There is one small difference in the cinematics (a secret scene) where on the Ardjet level, where you have to hold Ardjet and make your way upwards to safety.
              Originally posted by spoilers
              To get the secret scene you have to hold Ardjet near the lava/magma below until she whelps out in agony, then once you finish the stage, the first 'codec' screen you should see Ken in her tank top (since the top portion of her uniform has burnt off. Then the scene shifts to an anime bit where you see her hop into Jehuty with Dingo.

The first 'codec' screen where you see Ken in her tank top is strangely cut from the USA version - instead you see Ken still in her usual uniform. Although when it goes to the anime bit you see her in the tank top (like the JPN version)

Now onto the subject of voice acting:

No doubt, the Japanese version has more theatrical/dramatic voice acting, although you probably wont get the whole jist of the storyline, unless you know a bit of Japanese of course.

The USA version is adequete, in that it's hardly spectacular, but it gets the job done. There are a few scenes which could've been handled with more dramaticism, but nevertheless it should suffice.
              Oh, and Dingo say "Pals" a lot

Verdict:
              Get the USA version if you want to understand the storyline.
              JPN version for completist sake.

Super Mario Sunshine

Version tested: JPN/USA

Boxart:

More or less practically the same, bar the Japanese lettering. Depends whether you like the smaller JPN box, or standard DVD sized box

Game:

No option to have English text for the JPN version, so you will have to work on visual clues as to how you are to get the 'Shines' and blue/red coins.
              Gameplay wise, there is nothing too dramatic, apart from a few world name-changes to the USA version (i can't remember them, i'll have to look them up) and there is more fruit laying around Dolphic town in the USA version once Yoshi is unlocked.

Verdict:

USA version. Since you can understand what the locals of Dolphic island are saying, not that they say anything too useful, mind you.

Viewtiful Joe

Versions tested: JPN/PAL - includes 60hz

Boxart:

JPN version has Joe contorting his body, with (presumably) Sakura leaves wafting around him. Lovely pink cover.

PAL version has Joe jump kicking with a scene from the 2nd stage in the background. Yellow or Pink, the colour of cover choice is yours.

Game:

JPN:
              Speech is spoken in English, and good quality it is too. The only Japanese you will encounter will be the subtitles/Shop item descriptions/Save-Load menus. the secret character scenarios are in gibberish, with JPN subtitles. From what i hear their storylines are the same as Joe.

PAL:
              There seem to be a few framerate drops / stutter points which i didn't originally see in the JPN version.
              I'm not too sure about this one, but...

Originally posted by spoiler
              when playing against Captain Blue (once beaten King Blue) if you die against Captain Blue you restart and have to beat King Blue again to get to Captain Blue.
              In the JPN version, if you died on Captain Blue, you would restart on Captain Blue.

Also the 'Viewtiful World' music video, and 'P.N.03' demo video is missing from the PAL version.

Verdict:

Out of the two versions, get JPN. Not only is the game practically in English and largely unchanged in the PAL version (barring a few option descriptions and the shop descriptions in Japanese - which could be found on gamefaqs) you get the added bonus of the Viewtiful World video, and the smaller JPN box.
              Last edited by jimtendo; 01-11-2004, 15:31.

Comment

This thread needs some serious bumping up...
                Can someone tell me which version of Strikers 1945 Part II is best?

The PS One or the Saturn version?

Thanks to all replies in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
                  This thread needs some serious bumping up...
                  Can someone tell me which version of Strikers 1945 Part II is best?

The PS One or the Saturn version?

Thanks to all replies in advance!
                  Japanese PSone version is the one to get.

The Saturn version has *LOTS* of slowdown, and the american PSone version either doesn't have a tate mode or the controls are wrong when in tate (can't remember which).

But yeah definately the Jap PSone

Comment

Could anyone do P.N.03 please?
                    I've heard there's various differences between us and jap, I just don't know what any of them are...

Comment

This deserves a resurrection.

Versions tested -
                      Shikigami no Shiro II - NGC/ JPN
                      Shikigami no Shiro II - DC/ JPN

Box art
                      Depending on preference whether you prefer Niigi G.B. (NGC) or Kuga back to back with the last stage boss (DC)

Verdict
                      If push come to shove, i prefer the DC version. Only very slightly.

Game Package
                      NGC:
                      Arrives in a oversized box to accomodate the cat doll and regualr sized gamebox. Though, if you're one of the lucky ones your cat doll may have a yellow scarf (2P colour, more R4R3) instead of the 1P colour (Red)

DC:
                      There's the regular edition (game only) in a standard DC case.
                      Special Edition - which is a double case and comes with a soundtrack CD and a pack of 4 cards with differing artwork of the various characters.
                      Sega D-Direct Special Edition - All of the above, but you get a phonecard (DC cover artwork) as well.

Verdict
                      Winner would be the DC version.
                      Unless you had a penchant for cat dolls.

Game
                      NGC -
                      The NGC version looks sharp. Although some of the textures on the enemy craft don't look quite as vibrant as they are on the DC version.
                      The artwork on the left and right of the screen is a welcome addition, which replaces the black borders. Though you can take the pics off if you want.
                      You do have 'wait' moments during sections of the game, with 'wait' being prevelent on the destruction of each and every boss.

DC -
                      Looks-wise, the textures on the enemy ships look better, as do the boss sprites, since they look more toned-out.
                      There's seems to be less 'wait' moments (there's no ability to turn off 'wait' in the DC version) and when you destroy a boss, you would expect a dramatic slowdown. Except with the DC version, it sometimes happens, or sometimes not.
                      There are a few more secret EX options to play about with (after spending sufficient amount of hours into the game to unlock. Roughly 8-9 hours) such as changing the size of your Tension area/ size of enemy bullets and speed.
                      The portraits which adorn the left and right of the screen in the NGC version does not seem to be included in the DC copy. Which is a shame on that aesthetic front.
                      Though the art gallery for both NGC & DC remain unchaged.
                      Load times i would say are slightly slower on DC (by a miniscule amount)
                      Hard pressed to spot it when side by side.

Verdict:
                      DC version.
                      Since it looks more richer in texture.
                      Has less 'wait' though this is purely preference. A few more EX Options to play about with.

Judgement
                      Most probably opt for the the DC version since it has a few more options and looks that little bit better.

Shikigami no Shiro II - DC GET!
                      Last edited by jimtendo; 11-10-2004, 19:55.

Comment

This needs to be redone, what with the NTSC PS2 version on release as well as (i presume) PAL version to come and the inevitable Xbox bestus version come the 29th
                        Originally Posted by geektanic weezmacht
                        Street Fighter III 3rd Strike

versions tested:
                        JPN & PAL

JPN case & disc art:
                        The whole 3rd Strike cast turns out for the cover art. Very nice it is indeed. Chun Li's face is the artwork on the disc.

PAL case & disc art:
                        Just Ryu/Ken and Gill upper body-head portraits. Disc art is a section of the cover in a grey gradiant scheme.

Gameplay:
                        I'm no 3rd Strike expert, so i can't tell if certain combos works on one version than another. Both seem to play alright, no real differences.

JPN Language barrier:
                        I would say around half of the game is in English, where the main menus/Training menus are completely in English. Only stumbing blocks are the Super Art names, win quotes, ending text, and the 'System Direction' menu - where it is totally in Japanese.
                        thankfully there are a few faqs around translating all of the above.

* Nothing gameplay related, but in the JPN version when Alex has a pixel of life left, and you jab him to death he will say "Jesus"
                        Also when Urien loses by a time-out he will clench his hards so blood will seep.

Both of these are ommitted from the PAL version (and the USA version, so i hear)
                        Alex will just scream "Noooo"

JPN Pros:
                        Better cover art. Uncensored.

JPN Cons:
                        Just the 'system direction' menus/win quotes/endings are in JPN.

PAL Pros:
                        60hz mode, more available to buy than the JPN version (although still hard to locate)

PAL Cons:
                        slightly censored from the original JPN version.

'The definitive version' verdict:
                        I would say, go for the PAL version, due to it's availability and being translated. Personally i would go for the Japanese version.

Comment

Thought this was a good topic and deserves to be brought back from the dead!!!!!!

Comment

Nothing gameplay related, but in the JPN version when Alex has a pixel of life left, and you jab him to death he will say "Jesus"
                            Xbox version now has this!

Also when Urien loses by a time-out he will clench his hands so blood will seep.
                            Urien usually beasts me so i haven't seen if this escaped the cut.

Oi Slater, get on it! :P

Comment

Thought I'd share some experiences (games which have a 60Hz option or those with black borders obviously do not have PAL resolution benefits). I play most games through DScaler, so some of the video image quality differences may not be as obvious on a normal TV set:

Ace Combat 5 Squadron Leader / Unsung War PAL vs NTSC/UC
                              Video for the cut-scenes has been poorly upscaled to PAL resolution, and generally looks worse than the NTSC encode. The PAL version is also noticable slower than the NTSC. The NTSC version comes with Japanese language option. No PAL resolution benefits.

Dark Chronicle / Cloud 2 PAL vs NTSC/UC
                              Quick NTSC>PAL conversion. PAL version is slightly slower and has black borders on top and bottom.

Onimusha 3 PAL vs NTSC/UC
                              PAL version has a grain filter on the gameplay engine and cut-scene video in both 50Hz and 60Hz settings.

Puyo Pop Fever PAL vs NTSC/J
                              The Japanese NTSC version has all the european language and subtitle options as well as the native language. The PAL version has the Japanese language and text option removed. PAL version has extra resolution benefits.

R-Type Final PAL vs NTSC/J
                              PAL version has increased brightness - generally makes it easier to see background details.

Star Ocean Till the End of Time PAL vs NTSC/UC
                              Quick NTSC>PAL conversion. PAL version is slower and has small black borders on top and bottom (the entire display hass been zoomed in slightly to reduce the black borders).

Zone of the Enders PAL vs NTSC/J
                              The PAL render area is misaligned within the overscan area, making it difficult to fully readjust on some TV sets.

Anubis Zone of the Enders The 2nd Runner PAL vs NTSC/J
                              (As Zone of the Enders PAL vs NTSC/J plus): The cut-scene video sequences in the PAL version has too much brightness, obscuring some animation detail. No PAL resolution benefits. No noticable difference in speed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sony Fanboy
                                Star Ocean Till the End of Time PAL vs NTSC/UC
                                Quick NTSC>PAL conversion. PAL version is slower and has small black borders on top and bottom (the entire display hass been zoomed in slightly to reduce the black borders).
                                PAL game also has the 480p mode removed... these days, that's probably just as important as 60Hz mode.

Comment

Working...
                                X