The Definitive Version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Definitive Version

I'm sure most people will have heard of Rewind, a superb website that compares DVDs from different regions so that anyone with a multi region DVD player can purchase the definitive version of a DVD. For those that hevn't heard of it, get your arses over to http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk .

AFAIK there isn't a site that does the same for videogames, but there should be. Not only do we have to consider differences between regions (e.g. Soul Calibur 2), there are often differences between formats.

So what I propose is that people list here the definitive versions of games for the assistance of others. If enough responses are posted, maybe it could get made into a sticky or a feature for the site? Who knows.

Some guidelines first of all (here comes the science bit).

1. Take into account everything from differences in graphical quality to boxart. Obviously the latter is subjective, but in some circumstances its obvious (Ico for example).

2. Where the best version is a limited edition, also recommend the best unlimited version.

3. Don't take into account collectability or price (although this can be mentioned) or the fact that a game may seem at home on a certain platform. Try to look from the point of view of someone who has not played the game before.

4. Explain the reasons why a game is better. The Japanese version isn't always the best version to get to an open minded gamer (just like R1 DVDs aren't always the best versions).

5. With Japanese games, assume gamers have a rough understanding of the basics i.e. An arcade game along the lines of Dodonpachi would be fine, but not a full blown RPG.

6. If its difficult to differentiate, then call it a draw.

7. With voiceovers, don't mark down the English voice over unless it is truly detrimental to the game.

8. Don't take into account portability (i.e. Don't recommend a GBA port purely on the basis that you can play it on the bog).

9. Take into account the availability of peripherals, etc.

10. Obviously, if you feel someone has recommended the wrong version then say why.

Some for starters:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ico

The US version has an awful cover and a slightly inferior version of the game which was changed and slightly expanded for the Japanese and Pal release. The Japanese release has a fantastic cover and the updated game, but the subtitles are Japanese. Not a major issue, but the Pal version has the same cover and game but with English subtitles. Plus it also came in a limited edition pack with a cardboard fold out sleeve and art cards.

Winner - PAL PS2 Version (preferably the limited edition set with art cards)

Ikaruga

Previously the DC version would have won easily because of the DC's ability to display VGA and the availability of an arcade stick. Given that both are now available on the Gamecube, this advantage has disappeared. The game is identical on both platforms, but the GC version has a couple of small extras.

Of the GC versions, avoid the PAL version because of the awful cover. The Japanese cover isn't much cop either, but at least it comes in the small Japanese cases. The US version could have had the best cover, except for an annoying review quote across the front. Of all of them the DC version has the best cover.

The version to go for is the limited edition Japanese GC version with art book. If this is not available, then its a draw between the DC version and the Japanese and US GC versions. The former has a better cover whilst the latter two have a few extras.

Winner - Japanese GC version with art book. If not then a draw between either the DC Japanese or GC Japanese or US versions

nice idea - will make this a sticky for a while

Comment

Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

The Japanese and PAL version are identical apart from Japanese text being translated into English. The US version is the same except it also contains the Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary bonus content as well. The US version comes in Greatest Hits (red bar at the top) box art, which may put off box art purists, but this is outweighed by the difference in price to the PAL version (store-specific discounts not withstanding) and the extra game content.

Winner - US vesion

Super Smash Bros Melee/DX

All versions are exactly the same except with the deault languages being English in the PAL and US versions and Japanese in the Japanese version. However all languages are available in all versions, so there is no problem with the Japanese version for non-Japanese readers. Bear in mind that the extra Pikmin, Samus and Mario trophies are dependent on you having Pikmin, Mario Sunshine and Metroid Prime saves on your memory card, so in order to complete the game 100% it's neccessary to buy the same region version of each game.

Winner - Japanese version for box art, but may be dependent on which versions of Mario, Metroid and Pikmin you own.

Comment

Metroid Prime

Not only do the Japanese and European versions feature an increased difficulty level, but they also include new special effects, improved animation and more cut scenes (including a cinematic sequence for the grappling beam) not featured in the US version. The US version also lacks the voice-overs you'll hear at certain points, such as when Samus opens doors and during the game's introduction where her spaceship lands. Finally, load times have been made shorter in the Euro/Jap editions, but they require a couple more memory blocks. The Japanese version has the nicest boxart, but the Euro and US designs are by no means bad. Text-wise, it would be easy enough to play through the Japanese version, but you'd miss out on some of the more interesting details about the game world and the enemies who you can identify using your scanner.

Winner - PAL version

Comment

Good idea. I'd like a comparison between the DC and PS2 versions of Space Channel 5 and its sequel. A comparison between the DC and PS2 versions of Rez would also be nice.

I'm sorry but I can't compare any titles because I don't buy different versions of the same game

Comment

Rez - jpn and eur DC versions are literally identical. jpn has a slightly nicer cover (smaller DC logo) and a color manual. DC version works with vga and mouse. jpn and us PS2 versions are nearly identical, US version has a less attractive but unique cover. jpn PS2 manual has a really nice set of transparent pages and full color. eur PS2 version similar to jpn PS2 version with 60Hz support, but a less impressive manual. All PS2 versions support the Trance Vibrator. DC version suffers more slow down, but slow down effects are worse on PS2. interlacing artifacts are worse on PS2. budget jpn PS2 version comes with art card.

Winner: jpn DC and jpn PS2 special package with Trance Vibrator. You need both for vga, vibrator, mouse and lovely jpn PS2 manual.

Comment

Space Channel 5 Part 2 - jpn DC and PS2 versions very similar, japanese only language and no noticable slow down. cover is group image on white background. DC version cheat mode actually spells u-l-a-l-a. jpn PS2 version has worse interlacing. eur PS2 version fully translated into English with 60Hz mode. Eur PS2 version has nice Ulala pose on the cover against nasty orange background. Unlockable Rez and Space Channel 5 costumes with relevant game saves for all versions. jpn DC version will unlock Rez and Space Channel 5 costumes with any region game saves, PS2 versions won't. Both PS2 versions work with Trance Vibrator. D-Direct jpn DC version comes with clock, headphones, and 'galaxy bag'.

Winner - D-Direct jpn DC and eur PS2. The English translation is very good and worth having in addition to the technically superior DC version.

Comment

An excellent idea Brats, but I might have to challenge your opinion that the GC version of Ikaruga is better just because of the extra options. For a start, arcade purists prefer the DC version, since it has in-game slowdown in the same parts that the arcade original does (not refering to the end of level explosions here). The GC version has no slowdown at all in-game, making it harder than the previous two versions. Also, you forgoet to mention the Sega Direct Ltd Edition of DC Ikaruga, with the set of post cards.

Comment

Bangaioh JPN/US/EUR versions are similar to the N64 original, however, several gameplay features are completely absent from the DC iteration, such as the shop that appears, and the weapon upgrades (piercing shot, for example). Graphics are a bit less detailed on the N64 original, and the dramatic slowdown when the smart-bomb is used is even more 'dramatic' (ie - slows down even more), but the game seems more suited to the N64 d-pad rather than the DC's d-pad.

In addtion, the JPN N64 packaging is undoubtably superior to the DC releases. Some have argued that the music is better on the DC version, but this is missing the point if you ask me - they are deliberately quaint chip tunes, and just because they were 'studio' enhanced for the DC, does not make them any better.

One good thing about the DC version is that you get to read the wacky story in English (which is sometimes quite funny, perhaps unintentionally so...).

Winner: N64 version - due to increased gameplay elements, more attractive packaging, the Ltd nature of the release (rumoured to be approx. 10,000), and better controls.

Runner-up: PAL DC version - due to the English translation, and some of the imagery being unedited, unlike the US DC version.

Comment

Dead or Alive 2
                    Several versions of this title have been released over the years. The first was the US Dreamcast release, which was pretty much a bare-bones port of the arcade game. The later PAL release of the DC version is largely the same as this, with only cosmetic changes (initially available character outfits from the US title now have to be unlocked). This was quickly followed by the JP Playstation 2 version, which contains a few more arenas and added cutscenes, due to being based upon a revised version of the coin-op. The result is a more complete experience, although all PS2 versions of the title suffer from being graphically weaker than those running on the Dreamcast, possibly due to a rushed conversion from the Naomi original.

Two further releases of the title followed. The JP Dreamcast version (sold both as a general release and a limited edition packaging variant) contained some new arenas and outfits not found in previous versions, and incorporated the added cutscenes and gameplay features found the PS2 release. This competes with the last PS2 release for the definitive title. This last version of the game emerges in the US as DOA2: Hardcore and in PAL territories as Dead or Alive 2, and contains everything found in all previous releases. It also offers english voice acting, although the original voices can be selected if prefered, and the PAL version offers full 60hz support. Despite graphical quibbles, this is generally considered to be the most complete port of the title.

Comment

I see that no-one has mentioned whether the games run at 50 or 60htz. I believe this would have a significant bearing for whomever would be looking to get into these games.

Comment

Originally posted by disco-tom
                        I see that no-one has mentioned whether the games run at 50 or 60htz. I believe this would have a significant bearing for whomever would be looking to get into these games.
                        One quick edit later...

Comment

Originally posted by disco-tom
                          I did, assuming people realise that ntsc versions run at 60Hz.

Comment

Originally posted by Burai
                            Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

The Japanese and PAL version are identical apart from Japanese text being translated into English. The US version is the same except it also contains the Virtua Fighter 10th Anniversary bonus content as well. The US version comes in Greatest Hits (red bar at the top) box art, which may put off box art purists, but this is outweighed by the difference in price to the PAL version (store-specific discounts not withstanding) and the extra game content.

Winner - US vesion
                            Not identical. Western versions lose on of vane's costumes and brad's undergoes a pretty ugly edit. Add to the fact that 10th anniv really isn't that good. :/ I'd call it a draw between the japanese and american versions. American if you are intererested in tenth anniversary, japanese if you'd rather not have the edited costumes.

Comment

Not sure if they were limited editions or not, but what about Konami's PAL PS2 releases such as Silent Hill 2 (in a gatefold style cardboard case) and MGS2? They both came with making of extras (I believe ZOE2 comes with an extra disk, but it seems to be limited edition). Not sure if there's anything to differentiate gameplay between regions, but I'd say that definitely makes these games a high priority purchase for fans. But then again, with MGS2 you have the option of Substance which as we all know comes with all kinds of gameplay extras, and Silent Hill 2 Directors Cut with an extra storyline, so it's a tough call. There's also differences between the various formats, such as the Xbox version of SH2 featuring slightly improved graphics and quicker loading times. Hmm, I don't think I can actually select a definative version, any thoughts?

I think what might be better is just listing the differences between versions, so that people are aware, rather than picking a definative version which in some cases is purely down to a personal preference. If this does end up becoming a main feature on the site you could include some kind of poll so people can select which they think is the best version. Just a thought

Comment

Working...
                              X