Randomised Gaming Retro Videos & Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
    It's crazy to think that the launch 360 didn't have HDMI.
    And I remember bullsh8t PR from Peter Moore than HDMI wasn't needed and no good for a gaming system.

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
      And I remember bullsh8t PR from Peter Moore than HDMI wasn't needed and no good for a gaming system.
      Man, what a dick he was in saying that.

Comment

I don't remember that. But...

It amazes me how so many big companies in the world of video games have had morons in powerful positions. It's like football and some of the people you get in the FA.

Comment

All three of the publishers made huge PR blunders on that one.

MS said you didn't need HDMI.
          Sony tried to "fake-news"-bomb MS by saying that the 360 wasn't real HD because it wasn't always 1080p (until the PS3 wasn't always 1080p).
          Nintendo suggested people didn't even want HD yet and the Wii didn't support it.

All three stances were short-sighted at best. Given, I think everyone was surprised by the rate of HD adoption but they're supposed to anticipate this stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            I don't remember that. But...
            Yes, it was a rubbish bit of PR to counter the PS3 then planned 2 HDMI outputs and Peter Moore also said the 360 was under the 2% failure rate of all new consoles, yet another bit of PR bullsh8T.

There again I remember Phil Harrison saying Killzone 2 E3 trailer was running in real time and from a actual PS3 development system, how BC with the PS3 showed SONY looked after its consumer with legacy BC (only for SONY to drop it even for the PS3) or how Rumble wasn't needed in PS3 pads and was a feature for the past and motion controls was the future.

Still, I also remember SEGA Japan saying every DC game would run at 640x480 at 60 fps, only for Sonic Adv to break that rule before the system was a month old lol

Comment

Originally posted by Asura View Post
              Nintendo suggested people didn't even want HD yet and the Wii didn't support it.
              Or better yet, how people didn't want to play Online lol

Comment

Or better yet, how people didn't want to play Online lol
                Yeah, it was a bad decision on their part for which they are still playing catch-up now, years later. It's a shame, as Splatoon 2 is one of the finest online multiplayer games I've ever played - I think a Nintendo that really embraced online multiplayer in 2007 might've been interesting to see.

That being said, at least they stuck to their guns and brought out many games that supported local multiplayer, and have continued to do so. If they had a bad online service and didn't support much in the way of local multiplayer they'd be a laughing stock.

I rarely complain as I really like their focus on "local" multiplayer, but I'm one person and I'm aware I don't represent the larger market.

Comment

I think the main sticking point was that they didn't have that many games back then that would have worked as well online as they did offline. Wii Sports would have likely been less fun online. Looking at all the games on my Wii I don't really see anything that would have benefited a great deal.

Mario Kart Wii did alright out of it, as did Monster Hunter Tri.

Comment

Originally posted by dataDave View Post
                    I think the main sticking point was that they didn't have that many games back then that would have worked as well online as they did offline. Wii Sports would have likely been less fun online. Looking at all the games on my Wii I don't really see anything that would have benefited a great deal.

Mario Kart Wii did alright out of it, as did Monster Hunter Tri.
                    I don't really see it that way. Sony and MS started their focus with online gaming during the Xbox/PS2/GC era. Nintendo, at that point, made the decision that the GC's successor would be a machine which didn't focus on online play, and they made games that played to that tune.

Had Nintendo chosen to focus on it, the Wii era might've been something very different. Although I personally love Nintendo's output, I think they underestimated how big online gaming would be in the console space, and they've struggled since to capitalise on it. Building something like Xbox Live takes years.

Still, let's see what eventually happens with the Switch.

Comment

Yeah, it was a bad decision on their part for which they are still playing catch-up now, years later..
                      It was a total cock up by Iwata-san . MS and SONY have shown not only that millions want to game online, they pay for the pleasure too. Nintendo are a laughing stock when it comes to online . I'll expect in 10 years time, Nintendo will also say, people want to play in 4k too

Comment

I don't really see it that way. Sony and MS started their focus with online gaming during the Xbox/PS2/GC era. Nintendo, at that point, made the decision that the GC's successor would be a machine which didn't focus on online play, and they made games that played to that tune.
                        It was with the GameCube that Iwata-san gave the interview on how people didn't want to play online and it totally backfired, it was clear even back then, that people wanted to game online and wanted/expected online features in their games. Nope Nintendo knew best and thought people rather hook up their GBA to the Cube, rather than hook the Cube up to the internet.

Plenty of Nintendo games could have benefited out of Online, be that F-Zero GX, Wave Race Blue Storm, Mario Kart DD, Mario Party , Super Smash Bro, even now their Online support and internet network service is a joke down the friends system, or to the lack of a legacy support of ones online handle on the Nintendo network (no doubt, so Nintendo can milk fans again for games they previously bought over the Virtual console)
                        Last edited by Team Andromeda; 18-01-2018, 07:50.

Comment

It was with the GameCube that Iwata-san gave the interview on how people didn't want to play online and it totally backfired, it was clear even back then, that people wanted to game online and wanted/expected online features in their games. Nope Nintendo knew best and thought people rather hook up their GBA to the Cube, rather than hook the Cube up to the internet.

Plenty of Nintendo games could have benefited out of Online, be that F-Zero GX, Wave Race Blue Storm, Mario Kart DD, Mario Party , Super Smash Bro, even now their Online support and internet network service is a joke down the friends system, or to the lack of a legacy support of ones online handle on the Nintendo network (no doubt, so Nintendo can milk fans again for games they previously bought over the Virtual console)
                          Yep, even Sega with their many cock ups knew Online was the future. Dreamcast in Japan was amazing for online. Practically every game had some sort of online connectivity.
                          It's also a fact that not one single in house game by Nintendo supported 16:9 on the Game Cube. Even the recently leaked Dreamcast game, Agartha has 16:9 support. Heck, even Saturn Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the Saturn has it.
                          Last edited by Yakumo; 19-01-2018, 07:16.

Comment

Too bad Nintendo couldn't have been more like Sega.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                              Yep, even Sega with their many cock ups knew Online was the future. Dreamcast in Japan was amazing for online. Practically every game had some sort of online connectivity.
                              It's also a fact that not one single in house game by Nintendo supported 16:9 on the Game Cube. Even the recently leaked Dreamcast game, Agartha has 16:9 support. Heck, even Saturn Panzer Dragoon Zwei on the Saturn has it.
                              Anyone could see the Internet was future, Listen to Nintendo people still use floppy discs, dial-up, Parkrays and gas lamps. I remember both NiGHTS and Zwei supporting widescreen, but to be fair to Nintendo a lot of N64 games from the likes of RARE supported 16.9 and also Dolby.

N64 was the last console, Nintendo really pushed the boat out and made a games system.
                              Last edited by Team Andromeda; 19-01-2018, 12:53.

Comment

N64 was the last console, Nintendo really pushed the boat out and made a games system.
                                that maybe true but it's still a really ugly looking system for graphics. I'd take clean blocky textures any day over blurry textures. The N64 has never appealed to me despite having some true classics such as Conkers Bad Fur Day. In my opinion the only trully great console Nintendo made that was actually impressive compared to its rivals was the SFC / SNES. To me the N64 seems worse than a Saturn or PlayStation. Yes, I know it's technically better but it sure doesn't show it. Actually now that I think about it, are there actually any real 2D games on the N64? By 2D I mean games that are void of any polygons. I can only think of one which is Bangaioh and that has a superior version on the Dreamcast and HD remake on the 360 and most likely PS3.

Comment

Working...
                                X