Randomised Gaming Retro Videos & Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asura View Post
    The game had tons of missions, and the construction gameplay was so fun; I could spend hours just making random Cores and chucking them into the levels, trying to find the perfect build.

Given, it wasn't perfect. The way it used the shoulder buttons for the up/down view axis was clunky even then (Gungriffon had similar issues but in that game you rarely had to look up or down), and it had the PS1's typical draw distance thing which always felt a bit weird coming from the N64 (one of the things I was happiest about when the Dreamcast came around and it seemed gaming had finally gotten over that). But those were really quite niggling problems in what was a very ambitious game.
    FromSoftware haven't always being the fastest to address issues with their games and the controls remained clunky in all the PS1 games of the series. Still it was a cool feature the save file carried over into Project Phantasma & Master of Arena. Series has got better with each outing shame so few people played the most recent one on 360 with Armored Core: Verdict Day. Online for that was really good with how the war worked.

Couple of new videos on PAL Exclusive SNES games this week.

First one is Archer Maclean's Super Dropzone, enjoyable follow up to the original:

Second is Winter Gold which is one of the best looking games on the system, great intro, plays rather poorly on the flip side.

Comment

Winter gold was a really pretty game for the time. I was always impressed by how more advanced it looked compared to other Super FX games.

Comment

Yeah it looks top stuff and that dancing intro is crazy for a 1996 SNES game. However this was 1996 and when you compare the Saturn and PS1 games at the time they steam roll it.

It's not a game you can play without the manual either as there are so many special commands you have to ender for the Snowboarding, Ski Jump and Arial events.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
          Second is Winter Gold which is one of the best looking games on the system, great intro, plays rather poorly on the flip side.
          Looks like a 32X game. It's certainly impressive, despite being quite clunky to play.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
            Looks like a 32X game. It's certainly impressive, despite being quite clunky to play.
            I thought Winter Challenge on the stock Mega Drive looked and run better tbh and is IMO a far better game and underrated gem

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
              I thought Winter Challenge on the stock Mega Drive looked and run better tbh and is IMO a far better game and underrated gem
              I haven't seen that one -- so I'll take a look. I remember really liking the Barcelona Olympics game on the MD.

Comment

The 3D is far better looking in Winter Gold when I had a quick look at Winter Challenge, but the latter looks to be a better game as you get a lot more sports from what I saw, shooting, ice skating.

New videos up on the channel bot PAL only SNES release Power Drive & Putty Squad:

Good, but not great games, I always felt a lot of these late mid 90s Amiga games were falling behind there Japanese and USA counterparts in terms of gameplay.
                Last edited by S3M; 01-11-2018, 12:23.

Comment

That Power Drive is a complete rip off of Great 1000 Miles Rally, Neo Drift Out or World Rally Championship!

To be fair, they're made by Kaneko, Visco Corporation and Gaelco, respectively, so there's a whole load of copying going on!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    That Power Drive is a complete rip off of Great 1000 Miles Rally, Neo Drift Out or World Rally Championship!
                    It's a shame Power Drive is so generic next to the stunning 1000 Miles Rally. 1000 Miles has always impressed me with how detailed the graphics are.

Comment

Oh cool! Another GTMR fan!

It's amazing isn't it?

The racing itself is nice, but the presentation is beyond its competitors.

I was quite interested in the real rally until I discovered it claimed 56 lives during its time, so it's less glamorous than I thought.
                      Lovely game though!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        It's amazing isn't it?
                        I remember seeing it in a Brighton arcade and thinking "I wish I had this in the home." It really is a stunning game.

Comment

Originally posted by S3M View Post
                          The 3D is far better looking in Winter Gold when I had a quick look at Winter Challenge, but the latter looks to be a better game as you get a lot more sports from what I saw, shooting, ice skating.

New videos up on the channel bot PAL only SNES release Power Drive & Putty Squad:

Good, but not great games, I always felt a lot of these late mid 90s Amiga games were falling behind there Japanese and USA counterparts in terms of gameplay.
                          Why your channel doesn't get more love is beyond me. I loved Power Drive back inthe day (I thought the MD version was ace) and I'm still gutted I sold my Jaguar version, it was ace on that system too.

Comment

and I'm still gutted I sold my Jaguar version, it was ace on that system too.
                            Is better in any way on the Jaguar? I haven't got many Jag games.

Comment

Been thinking about the Amiga recently and it all boils down to the games being mostly made by guys with mad coding skills but zero experience of making an actual game I reckon whereas I reckon the console game development was treated much more seriously, with separate game design and coding teams. Could be wrong but it makes sense to me. Anyone could code an Amiga game using off the shelf stuff but your average bedroom coder couldn’t make a SNES game for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Leon Retro View Post
                                Is better in any way on the Jaguar? I haven't got many Jag games.
                                Just looks better. I'm gutted I got rid. Lovely game and looks great on the Jag

Comment

Working...
                                X