No announcement yet.

Netflix Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I liked the arm and worms bits, but it's nowhere near EH levels of messed up and you never really get the relentless of the desperation in Sunshine (in the first 2/3 anyway).

Comment

Netflix’s UK division has confirmed that Alex Garland’s sci-fi film “Annihilation,” set to open in U.S. cinemas this week, will hit the Netflix streaming service in the UK on March 12th reports The Independent. Paramount Pictures is releasing the film theatrically on Friday in the United States and Canada and is scheduled to release the […]

The acclaimed new Alex Garland sci-fi movie Annihilation will be getting a cinema release in the US this week but will hit UK Netflix on 12 March

Comment

Was just reading about that after mentioning Garland in the Bond thread!

It got 4/5 stars in The Guardian:
        Ex Machina writer-director Alex Garland’s unnerving sci-fi concoction combines gut-wrenching body horror and trippy science to compelling effect

My friends and I are planning a movie night.

Comment

We've been watching Dark. German mystery/horror thing. Like a Scandinavian Stranger Things but for adults. Sort of. It's not too bad even though time travel is ****ing stupid.

The characters are sometimes hard to follow due to the story but it's all very well acted.

Comment

watched the live action fullmetal alchemist, its alright could have been better but also could have been much worse

Comment

A decade ago Netflix started the streaming section of its service and two years later, in 2010, kicked off that streamer’s international rollout. The big promise of the service was access to a vast on-demand film library and at the time it was true. In 2010 in the U.S., Netflix had a library of 6755 […]

Some interesting info as Netflix streaming service enters its eighth year.

In 2010: 6755 Movies, 530 TV Shows
              In 2018: 4010 Movies, 1569 TV Shows

The figures suggest how Netflix's success has been forged but also how quickly the concept of a on-stop shop for movies that would threaten cinema has died.

Comment

Originally posted by Superman Falls View Post
                The figures suggest how Netflix's success has been forged but also how quickly the concept of a on-stop shop for movies that would threaten cinema has died.
                Yeah, hopefully both can co-exist. I'd like to think modern-day punters understand cinema is a different experience ... not like in the 80s when home video did seem like a threat.

Comment

Cinema is in a weird place because it looks like ticket sales are down almost every year and yet revenue records get broken all the time. But it’s the huge blockbusters and there are major flops each and every year that cost a fortune. But I don’t think cinema is going anywhere and I think the likes of Cloverfield and Bright have been as damaging for Netflix as they have been a positive - there is a sense that straight to Netflix is the new straight to video. It’s where films not worthy of the cinema go.

Comment

I won't lie, part of me kind of hopes Netflix don't make a film I love as I'd be unable to buy the Blu-Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                      there is a sense that straight to Netflix is the new straight to video. It’s where films not worthy of the cinema go.
                      I was thinking exactly the same thing yesterday when I was concerned that Alex Garland's "Annihilation" was pulled from cinema release after a producer expressed concern that the film was "too intellectual" and "too complicated" for average moviegoing audiences.

"Straight to Netflix" is less of an enticing prospect than "Netflix Exclusive".

Comment

I think the likes of Cloverfield and Bright have been as damaging for Netflix as they have been a positive
                        Looks like you may be able to add Duncan Jones' Mute to that list. I hate to judge anything I haven't yet seen but I'm struggling to find one good review.

Comment

Shame. I liked Moon and Source Code, but didn't see Warcraft.

Mute is, as you say, getting savaged.
                          The Moon director has delivered a catastrophically misjudged riff on Blade Runner with an astoundingly dull performance from Alexander Skarsgård

However, Warcraft was panned by critics and people stayed away, but if I already have Netflix, I'd take a punt on a film anyway.
                          Bright and Cloverfield Paradox were both flayed by the press, yet I saw both of them. The former was good fun and the latter was watchable.

Comment

That's disappointing to read. I was really looking forward to Mute.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                              Bright and Cloverfield Paradox were both flayed by the press, yet I saw both of them. The former was good fun and the latter was watchable.
                              I was really looking forward to Cloverfield but I've been poisoned by the negativity. Spare time is of such a premium these days that 'watchable' simply doesn't get it high enough up the list.

That's disappointing to read. I was really looking forward to Mute.
                              Me too. Moon is one of my fave sci-fi films and this had all the ingredients to be something great.

Comment

I liked the first two Cloverfield films and thought this was worth a punt.

It wasn't, really, but I was pretty curious.

In the "Sunshine" commentary, Danny Boyle acknowledges the giants that went before him in cinematic sci-fi like Alien and 2001 and was trying to respectfully avoid copying them.

CF Paradox just feels really derivative.

As I was saying, though, I probably wouldn't have seen it at all if it was only a cinema release.

Comment

Working...
                                X