No announcement yet.

Netflix Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Watched the rest of Annihilation. Visually thrilling and a little terrifying (as a thought experiment, not in a horror film way). Presenting something so beyond our understanding must have been challenging. Lovely fee minutes at the start of the end credits too.

Comment

I've just watched the first episode of Fastest Car, which is a tale of friendship between three London street urchins in 1666 who, having survived the Great Plague of London, now have to survive the onslaught of The Great Fire.

Not really it's about finding the fastest car.

Each episode sees a Supercar take on three "Sleeper" cars, which are ordinary cars that have been suped up, in a drag race.

Each racer has a disparate backstory and is very different, but the love of cars is something they all have in common. Quite cleverly, there is no narrator, they tell their own story.

The first episode sees a Ford GT take on a minivan, a truck and a Model T.

It's great fun trying to guess the order that they cross the line, which I did right in the first episode.

Can you guess right too?!

One for [MENTION=9865]Colin[/MENTION] to watch, maybe?

Comment

I'll keep an eye on the trade forum for car deals in the future.

Comment

I finished off One Punch Man and it was alright.
          A fun distraction, but it never really felt like it went anywhere after the initial few eps.
          "He's a level C hero, he can't be fighting that monster!"
          Defeats monster with one punch.
          "It must be a trick! He's a cheating level C hero!"
          Repeat.

It was funny in most episodes, but I was expecting a few more twists and revelations.
          So that's how he got his power!
          The cyborg just wants to kill him now he knows his secret technique!
          Now we know why so many monsters have started appearing!
          etc.

I also watched the rest of Fastest Car, but I did skim bits of it. They all had a sob story to tell which was interesting at first, but you could get the gist by skipping through. There were some real characters in this, though! The divorce lawyer with the trophy girlfriend and the silver Lambo and the woman who drove an Aventador with "BATGIRL" on the bonnet whilst wearing a Batgirl outfit were standouts!

It seems "Sleeper" car culture attracts a lot of rednecks, who seem surprised that illegal street racing in modified buckets of bolts sometimes leads to death.

I'll be honest, my favourite bit was when the rednecks were exclaiming their car was tuned to perfection and nothing is going to beat it, and then at the actual race, they get decimated by Italian supercar engineering and all they can do is swear in astonishment as they watch the back end blast off into the distance.

Also, it annoyed me that there didn't seem to be any parity between the races. The start lights didn't change the same each week, sometimes they said a second false start would lead to disqualification and another week two cars were disqualified without any prior warning of the rules. Another time, they didn't clamp down on tyre warming burnouts, so the race voided two cars, so quite often, I found the end result was skewed and cars I'd have liked to have seen progress didn't.

They also took the term "Sleeper" car a bit loosely too. Sometimes it would be an absolute rustbucket with a missing bonnet and mismatched wheels or a family SUV with a roofbox, but other times, you'd have a car with a massive scoop on the bonnet or it looked like it was specifically built for drag racing.

The final episode was good though, with the winners all racing against each other and my favourite car of the series won...
          Last edited by QualityChimp; 26-04-2018, 08:52.

Comment

I watched that QC. I felt absolutely gutted when the ex racer with his Mazda rotary monster had it written off by the electric muppet. You could see every millisecond of his spirit being shredded as he realised his pride and joy was never going to be replaceable or repairable.

Long story short,

Lamborghini Hurrican

wins in shock shocker.
            Last edited by QualityChimp; 26-04-2018, 10:17.

Comment

Hey, naughty! I've spoilered all the results, then you go and ruin it!
              I've implemented my mod powers and hidden the result!

You're right, though. That Mazda was a really great example as it had sentimental values, looked like a proper sleeper, but still looked lovely. I was actually really rooting for the electric car though. It had been going for ages and was amazing at the dragstrip test run.

I would have liked to have seen all four cars race properly, tbh.

Still, if it upsets you, you can donate to get the car repaired:
              We are sure most of you all watched the Fastest Car on Netflix. We thought this was a gre… Savant Young needs your support for Abel Ibarra Fastest Car Rebuild

The thing is, people are saying the Electric guy should have paid, but that's the whole point of racing, where you never know what's going to happen and they all know the risks to them and their cars.

Comment

That electric thing was mental, if it could be planted and grip properly it probably could of won the whole thing.

The guy with the electric could of helped with time on a rebuild, would be a nice gesture at least.

Comment

Agreed on both counts! It really shifted!

Seeing him help fix the car he crashed into and having a rematch would be great material for a second series!

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                    Agreed on both counts! It really shifted!

Seeing him help fix the car he crashed into and having a rematch would be great material for a second series!
                    Batgirl in the lambo was absolutely bonkers, i mean where do you even find someone that nuts?

Comment

New ep of The100! Finally the new series drops.

Comment

Originally posted by kryss View Post
                        New ep of The100! Finally the new series drops.
                        Is that on Netflix now? I watched the first 2 seasons on amazon and really enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                          Batgirl in the lambo was absolutely bonkers, i mean where do you even find someone that nuts?
                          Heart of gold, though. It taught me not to judge a book by its cover!

Comment

Originally posted by fishbowlhead View Post
                            Is that on Netflix now? I watched the first 2 seasons on amazon and really enjoyed it.
                            It was always on Netflix here.

Comment

The Ritual
                              I originally posted this in the Netflix thread as it was getting released on that worldwide a few months back. Had some mates coming over, only to find out that because it was released in the cinema here, Netflix UK didn't have it. Now it's on Prime! Bonkers!

Anyway we tried again last night and we really enjoyed it.

The premise is that four friends go hiking in Norway and after one of them twists their knee, decide to take a shortcut through the woods. D'oh!

Although it's hard not to think of other horrors with similar ideas, it still manages to tell its own story, which is pretty tense, right from the start.

Recommended.

Comment

Netflix has set a Friday, May 18th premiere date and released the first trailer for the second season of their controversial teen suicide drama “13 Reasons Why”. Set in the aftermath of Hannah Baker’s suicide, the new season sees the start of the characters’ complicated journeys toward healing and recovery. Liberty High prepares to go […]

13 Reasons Why: Season 2 hits Netflix on 18 May. As expected, the unnecessary second season that moves beyond the ending of the book sounds as convoluted as you'd fear with conspiracy and a replacement for the tapes.

Comment

Working...
                                X