No announcement yet.

Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turtles in Time on the SNES had 2-player at the very least. Why? Because Konami recognised that there was at least a minimum requirement for the port to have some multiplayer aspect, as opposed to none at all.
    The Arcade was designed to handle 4 players , that was cut as was the graphics compared to Arcade version . Final Fight on the Snes not only was missing loads it didn't even feature a multi player and yet for many they didn't care , it was closest most people were ever going to get to play the Arcade game in the home at the time . Mercs was perfeclty playable in single player mode and for many at the time in the home the MD version was the closest you and the best you could get in the home . Speed King the Coin Up was desgined to be played in a motion Cab , they was no hope of the PS being able handle that, much less its graphics.

And having more powerful hardware helps... No matter the skill of the team and their code , The DC would always be better to handle Model 2 ports to that of the Saturn. The Saturn and PS far better than the MD or the Snes to handle CP2 ports . The likes of Slam Masters was always going to look better on the Marty than on the Snes, or Street Fighter Alpha II look better on the Saturn compared to the Snes .

Comment

Originally posted by baad bwoy View Post
      I love Battle Of the Ports, keep up the good work Yakumo
      Agreed!

You put whatever you want in your videos, Yakumo (except that mankini incident of yours).

If you want to put emulated ones in for comparison or you want to leave them, you go for it. Just add some text at the start to explain your decision.

Every show makes we want to crack open the MAME emulators, so you're doing a grand job!

Comment

Cheers mate but I'm from Liverpool not Manchester

Comment

Many did care the Final Fight was cut. Scored fairly low in SNES mags too.

Yakumo, I've always found you accent really hard to place.

Comment

Originally posted by nakamura View Post
            I think it's because Yakumo is in the wrong place!

It really throws me when somebody's accent is local, but they don't look it.
            Like a guy in a turban with a strong Glaswegian accent.
            On my honeymoon in Jamaica, there was a local politician on telly and he looked like Lembit ?pik, but was speaking with a heavy Jamaican Patois. It was totally freaky and looked like he was taking the Michael!

Sorry, really went off topic there.

So yeah, love Mercs, but only played the MD version.
            Still haven't worked out the game I'm thinking of.

Comment

Many did care the Final Fight was cut. Scored fairly low in SNES mags too.

Yet even on here many Snes fans say they liked the Snes version of FF the best over the Mega CD version thanks to more colour (which always gives me a good laugh) . Don't see many Snes fans having at a go at Aera 88 even though it was far from Arcade perfect , never mind missing the 2 player mode ' how the game was originally intended' to be played . I think for many Aera 88 was just as good to play in single mode as it was in 2 player mode (like most shooters)

There talk of R-Type on the PC-Eng yet , the Sharp X6800 leaves it standing , but there again the Sharp was a high end and coslty PC where as the PC Eng was a general consumer console made so the masses could afford it there's a big difference to me

If you want to put emulated ones in for comparison or you want to leave them, you go for it. Just add some text at the start to explain your decision.
              The only issue I have is for all the talk of Emu not being used for games, but it fine to use Emu for the systems ? . I think Yak needs to make it clear what games are being played on the acutal systems to then the games being played on the various Emu's . Becasue Emu's aren't always perfect

Comment

Two player modes in shmups is crap anyway.
                Area 88 may be different but it's a fantastic game.

Comment

Two player modes in shmups is crap anyway.
                  Area 88 may be different but it's a fantastic game.
                  And yet Area 88 isn't Arcade perfect and doesn't feature the 2 player mode, but for many its still an amazing game . That's the way I feel I about MERCS on the MD and I like it more than the Saturn or Arcade versions
                  Last edited by Team Andromeda; 14-07-2015, 08:52.

Comment

So what's the problem?

Comment

So what's the problem?
                      Just making saying MERCS like many 'shooters' plays great in single player mode and like many SNES, PC-ENG, MD ports there was never hope of them truly being Arcade perfect at the time due to Hardware and Mem limits .

Comment

You lot are too busy arguing, so I've found it myself.

It's Out Zone by Toaplan (1990)!

Comment

I liked Time Soldiers more myself :P

Comment

Originally posted by Team Andromeda View Post
                            Just making saying MERCS like many 'shooters' plays great in single player mode and like many SNES, PC-ENG, MD ports there was never hope of them truly being Arcade perfect at the time due to Hardware and Mem limits .
                            I like the MD Mercs. Personally pretty much all types of shooting games are better single player. Too much going on otherwise.

Comment

[MENTION=3542]Team Andromeda[/MENTION]
                              I like the concept, but I think I prefer SNK's own Ikari Warriors III with the 8-way rotating joystick.
                              "Run and Gun" is a genre I didn't realise I liked so much, but there are some good ones out there.
                              I used to love S.A.R. in the arcades.

Comment

I like the MD Mercs. Personally pretty much all types of shooting games are better single player. Too much going on otherwise.
                                I made those points . 2 Player mode in most shooters just means more slowdown and confusion for the home consoles systems at the time . I love Strider on the MD , even though it's not Arcade perfect .

Comment

Working...
                                X