Battle of the Ports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JazzFunk View Post
    It did look stunning. I remember when Electronics Boutique* had schidtloads of the big box CD32 version for £1.99.

It wowed my arse off. For all the five minutes it took to assess its abject poverty of gameplay. Pah. Thetich.

The future of videogames: a MISSILE COMMAND Lite overlaid over FMV footage of a voyage into someone's bowel. Genius.

(no wonder it was £1.99).

I never got to the end. I'm assuming the final boss was some kind of giant turd???

(*it might actually not be EB but it's the one that sorta transmuted into GAME...this would've been 1995ish...)
    That was Future Zone, which not long after renamed to EB. Then later transmuted into Game.

(Microcosm, eh? Remember all those Amiga magazines giving it high review scores and glowing reviews purely because it showed off the machine, and admitting as such? Thankfully Amiga Power actually bothered reviewing the game properly and critiquing it, as they did with Rise of the Robots.)

Comment

The future of videogames: a MISSILE COMMAND Lite overlaid over FMV footage of a voyage into someone's bowel. Genius.

(no wonder it was £1.99).
      Please don’t ever leave this board. It’s posts like this that truly crack me up

Comment

Future Zone, that was it!!! Didn't it have like a vector graphic-style human head as its 'mascot'? Bought loads of stuff in their sales, recall when they had all them copies of CD32 FLINK for £1.99!!!

Comment

Future Zone, that was it!!! Didn't it have like a vector graphic-style human head as its 'mascot'? Bought loads of stuff in their sales, recall when they had all them copies of CD32 FLINK for £1.99!!!
          That’s the one. Just had a look through some old Edge, Amiga Power and Super Play
          magazines, the polygon head was there in the FZ print adverts!

Also remember the cheapo CD32 games. Virtually giving them away by 1995/6, I remember. Don’t think I ever paid more than a tenner for a commercial game for the system.

Comment

Awesome times. They also had BENEFACTOR at the same price in the little Leeds one.

Metal floors, too, iirc. Polygon Man lol, "this is the future, LOOK AT MY HEAD!!!"

Comment

Oh man, nothing quite like playing a game while some dip**** screams abuse at me. Really turd game Microcosim is but there are a few rare ports like the Amiga CD32 and FM Towns. I'll take a look at that in the future.
              Myst on the other hand, I have no desire to ever play again.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                Oh man, nothing quite like playing a game while some dip**** screams abuse at me. Really turd game Microcosim is but there are a few rare ports like the Amiga CD32 and FM Towns. I'll take a look at that in the future.
                Myst on the other hand, I have no desire to ever play again.
                I thought it was impressive running on the CD32 and it played Ok (played worse shooters) the Mega CD version was crap mind . Myst, is one game that to this day, baffles me with people thinking it was a good game . Much like the game , it made no sense

Comment

Myst is a great game if you like puzzle solving, logic tests, cryptic crosswords etc. Requires some real lateral thinking.

I might have to re-visit it...

Comment

I enjoyed Myst back on the Saturn, I enjoyed it even though I got stuck. That was the 90s tho.

Recentishly picked up the 3DS version from a chazza shop for £1 and I'm tempted but hear it has 'cursor issues' that might potentially ruin the experience? Something about the cursor snapping back to centre or summat, sounds potentially hellish.

Comment

Streets of Rage or Bare Knuckle as I know it, has been in the news a lot recently with the fantastic 4th outing. So what better time is there to do a Battle of the Ports based upon the original game?

Comment

I love SOR1. It's just really fun to play, it's no Final Fight but it's one of my fave fun games. Didn't know it was a 4mb cart. Shocking.

Also never thought about the 30fps/60fps divide, I always assumed it was for a cinematic effect. Lol at my naivete back in the day.

Anyway, this gets dissed far too much. I love it.

Comment

I love SOR1. It's just really fun to play, it's no Final Fight but it's one of my fave fun games. Didn't know it was a 4mb cart. Shocking.

Also never thought about the 30fps/60fps divide, I always assumed it was for a cinematic effect. Lol at my naivete back in the day.

Anyway, this gets dissed far too much. I love it.
                          I think because the 2nd game is far better that everyone forgets how good the original was back in 1991.

Comment

Originally posted by Yakumo View Post
                            I think because the 2nd game is far better that everyone forgets how good the original was back in 1991.
                            I still think It was overrated. It really showed that it was a 4Mb Cart IMO. I enjoyed and was also far more impressed, with Golden Axe on the MD . The music was awesome in SOR mind.

SOR II and SOR were fab mind

Comment

I love the original. Sure, its sequel surpasses it in every aspect, but I find the original a bit grittier, and more realistic without all the batsh*t crazy stuff like robots, aliens and pirate ships. It’s a proper urban brawler with its beautiful cityscape backdrops.

Back in the day of course it was seen as a poor man’s Final Fight, but compared to anything else you could play in the home it was leagues ahead of everything else given the SNES had not been launched here and its port of FF was single player only in any case.

Comment

Man, it was awesome back in 1991. I was big into bleepy music like 808 State at the time and the soundtrack was just buoyant, boisterous, funky, upbeat, iconic.

Such varied levels and some fantastic night-time city backdrops, memorable stuff like when you fight the Ultimate Warrior bloke, the lift level that's alway cool as futch, fighting the two lasses on the ship. How can it be even dissed at all??!!!

I see it as a totally different game to SOR2 so I can't directly compare them. However, I do find SOR2 to be a bit draggy after a while whereas this feels more springy and jolly, like Tigger, and I always find it a joy to complete (usually about once a year, it's like a nice burger).

I will always probably prefer SOR2 slightly over this due to what an amazing, significant overhaul it is, it's BEAUTIFUL. It looks so good, sounds so good, feels solid and violent and crunchy, much more so than the first.

But the first just has a bit more bounciness to it, like it's in for a shag, twinkle in its eye n all that.

Comment

Working...
                                X