No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely agree with the choice of replacement for Eriksen - Sissoko offers nothing at all, apart from willingness. With Dele way off the pace yet again, it was going to take something to win the game today. I rarely feel the need to question Poch (also a twat at home on most occasions) but I also felt we'd have been better playing 3-5-2 in the second half to try and wrestle the ball back more frequently.

But, hey-ho, we can't always steamroller the so-called weaker teams, and we're not alone in that - Liverpool, Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal have all dropped points on many occasions this season in similar ways. The problem for us is that we're now five points off the top four (I'm assuming Liverpool will beat Swansea tomorrow) and our next three games are Man Utd/Arsenal (home) and Liverpool (away). Win two/three of those and we'll be right back in the top four fight - win none of them (quite possible) and we'll probably be too far off the top four...even considering the number of games left.

Comment

We've also got Juve in the Champions League during that run of PL games; it could be a very pivotal few weeks.

Comment

And the FA Cup - probably our best chance of ending the 'Tottenham winning nothing, so how long will they keep Harry Kane' media brigade.

Comment

Nothing can stop the media brigade.

Nobody was saying we needed to win a cup when we were finishing just outside the CL spots for a few years in a row, CL football was the most important thing. Yet now we've qualified for it a couple of years running it's winning a cup that has become all important! And if we had CL football and won a cup they'd just bring up our wage level again

Personally I think (sadly) that cups aren't that important to the modern day footballer. A nice bonus, but very unlikely that winning one would be the difference between a player staying or leaving. Had we won the FA Cup in 2013, for example, I doubt it would have made any difference to Bale's desire to leave for Real Madrid.

As a fan though, I'd wet myself with excitement if we won it!

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
            The problem for us is that we're now five points off the top four (I'm assuming Liverpool will beat Swansea tomorrow)
            An old boss of mine had a saying, that he said to me on many an occasion - 'never assume, as it makes an ass of u and me.' I never learnt...

Comment

Swansea certainly did us a, very unexpected, favour

New Everton boss Sam Allardyce seems to be hinting that Rooney and Gylfi Sigurdsson are not a good mix. If we want a natural replacement for Eriksen, Son or DA when off form/injured I've long thought Spurs should consider re-buying GS.

Better would have been MU's Martial (who I also rate very highly). At this time last year he was out of favour and Spurs were apparently very interested in him. If they'd made the right. quick approach and stumped up the cash Spurs may have had a damned good player available rather than just a utility one.
              Last edited by fallenangle; 24-01-2018, 12:51. Reason: spelling

Comment

Martial and Gylfi would be lovely. I feel that’s what we lack in comparison to the rest of the Top 6 (Arsenal apart, although if they add Aubameyang to Mkhitaryan they’ve improved) - two or three genuine quality options, which would allow us to rotate. Although Lamela coming back certainly helps.

Comment

Enlightening and interesting read here about Erik Lamela:

Tottenham’s winger says he feared he might never play again but his brother’s swimming pool accident has put football in perspective

There are a few things I didn't know but, for some reason, I thought Lamela's contract was up in the summer and had expected him to move on - however, his deal runs out in the summer of 2019. If he stays fit (although he does have a slight injury which may keep him out of tomorrow's game), that's great news.

It's also beginning to look like we may sign the Brazilian winger Lucas Moura from PSG - rumours are he was at the training ground today and met with Levy/Poch.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
                    It's also beginning to look like we may sign the Brazilian winger Lucas Moura from PSG - rumours are he was at the training ground today and met with Levy/Poch.
                    When Poch said a while ago that we can't compete on money with the top clubs in the transfer market so we have to compete by being "clever", this is exactly the kind of signing that fits that mould.

Quick, skillful, good record of goals and assists, loads of experience playing at the top level in the Champions League, but needs a move because he's been pushed out of the first team this season by PSG's massive spending (and they need to sell for FFP so we can get him at a cheaper price than you'd expect for that quality of player). Another bonus is that he isn't cup tied for the Champ League.

I'll be very happy if we can complete this transfer, so fingers crossed we can get it over the line.

Comment

You're absolutely right on that. I think we need a couple more like him, plus two or three 'developing' players - whether they're the likes of a £40m Malcom, a cheaper Maddison (Norwich midfielder) or even cheaper Dele, doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by EJG1980 View Post
                        When Poch said a while ago that we can't compete on money with the top clubs in the transfer market so we have to compete by being "clever", this is exactly the kind of signing that fits that mould.
                        So the oranges on the lower branches that are actually as tasty as the ones on the top branches?
                        Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                          So the oranges on the lower branches that are actually as tasty as the ones on the top branches?
                          Just like the old, well known saying goes, you can't always judge an orange by its height.

Then there's also the situation where someone who can afford a big ladder to reach the top of the tree goes a bit crazy and picks too many oranges, so their basket is in danger of overflowing. You shout up and say "Hey, I'll give you a fiver for one of those, chuck it down here," and you hopefully end up with a bargain orange.

And let's not even get into the intricacies of the FFP (Fruit Fair Play) rules.

Comment

Could do with something in the half time oranges to pep the team up a bit

Edit: hats off to Newport, we got away with that one, we couldn't have complained if they'd held on to win.

They deserved their lead in the first half and, while we had lots more of the ball in the second half and were improved going forward, they defended brilliantly and were pretty comfortable. Their keeper made, what, two saves in the second half?

Thinking neutrally, I feel a bit sorry for such a famous win being snatched away from them, but very happy we're still in the cup! Still a famous result for them and now they get a day out at Wembley too (maybe more than just a day out if we're as lacklustre again).

No matter what's going on though, you can rely on Kane to pop up with something. His strike today puts him into the 30s for goals, yet again
                            Last edited by EJG1980; 27-01-2018, 18:36.

Comment

Flipping heck, that was awful, really awful. Newport were amazing, completely outplayed us in the first half and deserved, probably, the win.

I could see Poch's thinking in terms of the team selection - more brawn than brain in midfield and two up-front - but that meant absolutely no creativity. Maybe it was part of a cunning plan, a little nudge to Levy as we approach his special time of Transfer Deadline Day (TM) - 'Hey, Daniel, the only five creative players I have are Kane, Dele, Son, Lamela and Eriksen. Look what happens when most of them aren't in the team. I have nothing else left. Get that Moura deal done, yeah Danny?'

And defensively...oh dear. Although I thought Foyth played well, after a poor start.

Comment

I've said this before here that whenever I see Dier playing in the last line of defence my heart sinks. You just know he is going to make a mistake, usually getting caught in possession.

The formation used, as you suggested, was almost certainly Poch going for brawn rather than brain. Fine in theory when dealing with a 'lesser' side who you suspect will run about a lot and harry your players on the ball at the start but fade as the match progresses. The problem turned out to be that was wrong in practice. Newport played well with high energy and commitment almost for the full 90 minutes and without that midfield creative spark Spurs looked embarrassingly ordinary.

Still I wouldn't put it past Spurs to put them to the sword in the replay, that is: if they aren't worn out by the dense, upcoming fixture schedule.
                                Last edited by fallenangle; 29-01-2018, 22:19.

Comment

Working...
                                X