No announcement yet.

Tottenham Hotspur FC 2013/14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What a brilliant display of character and determination from the team tonight, great stuff. After going 2-0 down inside nine minutes you're fearing the worst, but nobody hid, nobody wilted, and deservedly came away with a draw and two vital away goals. Really bossed the first half after their second goal, and while Juve were improved in the second half I still think we were the better team in that half too. The penalty miss by Higuain on the stroke of half time was a slice of luck, but I think we earned that bit of luck with our overall performance.

Dembele once again outstanding, Eriksen was superb, and everyone else had really good games too. I was really happy to see Lamela getting a start in a big match and putting in a top notch performance, Dele was very good tonight too, wonderful pass to set up the Kane goal. A shame about the moments of silliness at the back from Aurier and Davis to give away the penalties. If Aurier could sort out his occasional rashness at the back he'd be a top player, because I thought he was really really good going forwards. Hopefully it's something Poch will eventually coach out of him, as he did with Kyle Walker.

Anyway, great night, a really good match, and we've given ourselves a really good chance to progress. I can't wait for the second leg at Wembley! COYS!

Comment

Bloody hell, what a night. I missed the first ten minutes, so all I conveniently saw was Tottenham completely boss Juventus on their own patch for most of the remaining 80 minutes!

Eriksen and Dembele were simply awesome, whilst Dele had a great game. Davies recovered amazingly well considering he was on a yellow card after 9 minutes. Fantastic finish from Kane, and Eriksen's free kick was very, very clever.

The last two away performances may just be the coming of age of us - ignoring the biased Liverpool comments over penalties, we grew into that match and controlled it for a long period; tonight's game was rather similar, though we controlled the game for much longer.

Second leg should be a cracker, but Juve should also be strong - time to prepare for the game, possibly a few players back, and very streetwise. We're not through yet, but would have taken 2-2 at the start of the game...and would have bitten any hand to get a 2-2 after nine minutes!

Comment

Watch us get thumped by Rochdale at the weekend now LOL

Comment

Don't say that, even if it is something I might have be thinking too.

Great performance and result tonight. The Wembley game is going to be no walk in the woods but if Spurs play as they did in this game and not make the same mistakes they can get the win that is for sure. Juve must be more than a bit concerned.

Comment

Originally posted by fallenangle View Post
            Great performance and result tonight. The Wembley game is going to be no walk in the woods but if Spurs play as they did in this game and not make the same mistakes they can get the win that is for sure. Juve must be more than a bit concerned.
            Indeed. We've given ourselves a great starting point for the second leg, but Juve know what we're about now and know they'll have to up their game, which they surely will; they haven't got to two of the last three CL finals by luck. It's still going to need a really good performance from us to go through, but we're more than capable of doing that.

Comment

That really was a game of two halves... if the halves lasted 10 and 80 minutes respectively

Return leg should be a cracker as well thus... although I suspect you Spurs fans will take a boring 0-0 draw
              Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Comment

I'd be happy with a 0-0 or a 1-1, but a win will be all the more sweeter

Comment

Yup. You always want to win in style and have a night to remember, but as long as we end up in the hat for the quarter-finals, that'll do me.

There's a user on YouTube called Mr AV who has been posting aerial drone videos of the new stadium. This is his latest one, shot yesterday:

And Chris Cowlin's latest update from ground level, filmed today:

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday or Swansea for us in the Quarter Final of the cup, should we progress against Rochdale.

I really really want that QF to be Sheffield Wednesday vs Spurs. They're the fallen giant I miss the most not being in the top flight, every single time there's a cup draw I want their name to come out of the hat with ours.

I think it's probably because of that classic 4-3 win over them at Hillsborough on Klinsmann's debut back in 1994, one of my favourite days as a Spurs fan. Hillsborough is a beautiful old stadium too, and they're like us in having a unique name. What's not to like?

Fingers crossed.

Comment

Looking forward to the match today against Rochdale - hope its a good game whether it is a Spurs goal fest or bit hard going. If Spurs can't beat Rochdale in one go then we don't deserve to win the cup but that doesn't mean I wouldn't be very happy if we still did.

Comment

Hats off to Rochdale, amazing spirit. The heartbreak of a late late goal to go behind but no feeling sorry for themselves, kept going and got their reward. From their first half display, and the way they stayed in it and still pushed us all the way when we improved in the second half, they certainly deserve the replay at Wembley. It's an extra match we could do without, but it's our own fault, simply gotta play better from the off against lower league teams.

Good debut from Moura though, nice and direct, pacy running at defenders and going past them, should give us an extra string to our bow in attack. Well timed run and nice finish for the goal too.

Comment

Rochdale were fantastic, especially in the first half, and the spirit to come back at the end made their draw well deserved. But making eleven changes, eight of whom are on their way back from injury lay-offs, was asking for trouble. The best thing you can say is that they all have a game in their legs, and most will be playing in the replay as well, which will help the squad as we move into March.

As already said, that was a good debut from Moura, who showed the kind of things we need from him - pace, direction, ball control and an eye for goal.

Comment

Certainly not how I imagined it.

Agree about Moura, very encouraging start.

Have to say that the sooner we offload Llorente the better. He's just not fitting in and Spurs aren't even making best use of him. Just how many crosses, even set plays and corners are aimed at him or at a height that plays to his heading ability? Spurs, noticeably, preferentially feed their strikers to feet rather than put in high crosses. When Trippier, Davies, Ali or Rose get behind the defence they either bring the ball in or put in a hard and low cross, probably because that's what the first choice forwards want.
                            Last edited by fallenangle; 19-02-2018, 11:28.

Comment

I feel sorry for Llorente, as he’s getting so little time on the pitch that he’s got no rhythm at all. In an ideal world, perhaps as a way of rotating the forwards he’d play some PL games alongside Kane, which you’d help would sharpen him up (as in time on the pitch). At the moment, he’s on for 5-10 minutes in important games or leading the line, sometimes with none of our first choice forwards behind him, in a cup game. He’s not unique in that failing - look how bad Batshuayi looked towards the end at Chelsea, yet how quickly he’s hit form at Dortmund.

Clinging on to the belief that Kane stays for another couple of seasons (or for good �� ) then perhaps what we need are more options for the three spots behind him, so that when we rotate it’s more a case of playing someone like Son up front, with three creative types behind him. As Son would also get plenty of games in his ‘normal’ position, he’d be match sharp when moved up top to give Kane a rest.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyDA View Post
                                Clinging on to the belief that Kane stays for another couple of seasons (or for good �� ) then perhaps what we need are more options for the three spots behind him, so that when we rotate it’s more a case of playing someone like Son up front, with three creative types behind him. As Son would also get plenty of games in his ‘normal’ position, he’d be match sharp when moved up top to give Kane a rest.
                                I've been thinking the exact same thing.

If Llorente was replaced with another Son style player you'd have six quality players covering the three spots behind the striker (Eriksen, Dele, Lamela, Son, Moura and AN Other) and if Son or AN Other has to go up front to cover for Kane you still have five covering the three spots behind the striker, which is more than enough.

As you say, they've got a much better chance of getting game time so they'd actually have a bit of rhythm and sharpness when needed to play up front. An out and out striker who can only play in Kane's position... it's bloody difficult for them to ever get meaningful minutes on the pitch.

Comment

Working...
                                X