User Tag List

Page 2 of 107 FirstFirst 123412102 ... LastLast
    Shows how close things can be in football. Newcastle actually dominated much of the game, Arsenal were lucky to walk away with 3 points in the end. Spurs were literally one goal away from qualification.

It may have been close on the final day but I have to admit Arsenal weren't lucky to get into the top four, they deserved it. Their end of season form of 8 wins and 2 draws from their final 10 games was stunning. Our own form from about November onwards was extremely consistent (we only lost 3 of the last 26 in the league) but Arsenal really stepped it up in the run-in.

For the past couple of seasons Arsenal have sort of become a higher up version of Wigan, putting in a brilliant run of form at the end of the season to grab a top four finish (as opposed to staving off relegation).

Quote Originally Posted by Kit View Post
    Arsenal have become the new Ajax. They'll be saying goodbye to their better players in the summer and be consistently average in the CL.
    I was thinking the same of Tottenham TBH but not CL obviously
    ByeBye Bale.

The Independent / Evening Standard are reporting that Spurs will shortly announce that Bale has agreed a new ?130K per week contract and will be staying next season. They also say that in summer 2014 he'd be allowed to leave if he wants to go and we receive an offer of ?50 million plus.

I was pretty confident he'd stay for at least next season come what may, but if the above is accurate (not that you can't trust the sports press...........) announcing a new contract now should mean we avoid a boring couple of months of speculation this summer.
    Last edited by EJG1980; 20-05-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Seems like a good deal for him too. He'll still be highly sought-after in a year's time, and there has definitely been improvement to Spurs under AVB. As things stand, I think Spurs have just as much of a chance of getting Champions League qualification as Arsenal, Chelsea etc.

There are plenty of rumours around Spurs in various newspapers including one about Bale being offered ?150,000/week by a European club to try a gazzump his Spurs' deal before it is finalised. Also rumours that Adebayor and Dempsey wil be dumped this summer to make way for Aston Villa's Beneteke and a top class European striker (several names have been floated). I wouldn't be surprised if at least the first part of this is true. Adebayor's mercurial brillliance has been far outweighed by the number of mediocre and bad performances over the season. Dempsey.....well not a complete failure but the guy never looks happy, in any sense.

Wonder if that European Club is Man U, would certainly make the fans welcome Moyes more if he could pull off that one.

Adebayor needs to leave Spurs yes, but hard to see who will take him and pay a fee and his wages.

We're playing a friendly against Jamaica in the Bahamas today, which also happens to be the home of Joe Lewis (joint owner of ENIC along with Daniel Levy) and the word is that those two and AVB will be having meetings to set out Spurs' plans for the summer. AVB has said a couple of times in recent interviews that he wants all Spurs' transfer business completed before the first match of the season.

Leaving it to the last minute might mean we get a better price, but too often it has meant we've missed out on targets or disrupted the start of the season by getting them in so late. I think AVB will be impressing upon Levy that it's better for the club if we avoid the last minute drama this time and get our main targets wrapped up ASAP.

That particular Bale story was in the Daily Star, so...

I don't mind if our current strikers stay or go (I would prefer stay to give strength in depth) as long as Adebayor and Defoe aren't first choices next season.

Ade either seems to have a brilliant season or terrible season with no in-between, but you can't predict which it will be. I was hoping it would be different this season but Defoe did his usual thing of scoring a glut of goals for 2-3 months and then drying up for the rest of the season. Both brilliant on their day, but too temperamental / streaky to be reliable first choices.

If we did want to sell Adebayor I don't think it would be that problematic. We only paid ?5 million for him so I doubt we'd demand a massive fee and his wages are far less than he was on at Man City, so a similar sized club to Spurs should be able to offer him what he's currently getting.

Worringly rumours about AVB being tempted away from Spurs by Paris SG but on the player front it looks like we're going to get Paulinho and, there's talk again, as I mentioned months ago, of Spur's interest in AV's Benteke.

Luckily the AVB to PSG link is over now. A couple of days ago he told the press that PSG had contacted him but he'd turned them down as he wanted to show loyalty to Spurs after they gave him a chance following his disappointing spell at Chelsea, and, he wants to stay at a club for more than just one season. PSG have appointed Laurent Blanc today so that nips it all in the bud.

Paulinho does look like it's very close to being done, would be a great signing. I can see us moving towards AVB's favoured 4-3-3 system next season with a first choice midfield of Sandro - Paulinho - Dembele.

Very strong rumours that we're making very good progress on a move for David VIlla too. Apparently signing him is currently Franco Baldini's number one priority.

Hopefully we'll get them both but I don't want to count our chickens until they're being paraded in a Spurs shirt! Fingers crossed though.

Edit: Missed the bit about Benteke. I would love him at Spurs, but if I had a choice, I'd rather get Villa right now. I think he could give the club a boost the way Davids did back in 2005; he's won everything there is to win, is Spain's all time leading goalscorer, I think it would be great psychologically for the other players to know that such a proven winner is now playing along side them.

Plus I think Aston Villa will ask for too much money for Benteke
    Last edited by EJG1980; 25-06-2013 at 04:51 PM.