3D movie/bluray thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3D movie/bluray thread

So we have lots of positive comments about Dredd, but what about other 3D movies?
    I enjoyed Prometheus, it didn't make a lot of use of the 3D, but the map scene was pretty cool.
    I picked up Despicable Me and How to Train Your Dragon (2nd movie I saw in 3D after Avatar) Wednesday. DM is as awesome as ever (looking forward to the sequel) and will probably watch HtTYD sometime over the weekend. I remember the flying scenes looking fantastic in 3D.

Has anyone seen Sector 7? Futureshop have it for $20 and I'm tempted for that price.

Yup, flying scenes were sweet, although not quite as sweet at the rollercoaster bit in Despicable Me.
    Jurassic Park 3D is out now, and I walked by the even-more-tempting Megamind 3D in BestBuy yesterday.

Comment

Prometheus is good in 3d as it didn't force anything on you to show its 3dness. Just a natural depth of field which is the best thing you can do with 3d film IMHO.

Comment

How to Train your Dragon is incredible in 3D, in fact it's incredible full stop. Amazing film.

This might sound like an odd one, but the third Harold and Kumar film has some brilliant showy type 3d effects with stuff popping out of the screen frequently, it's a good way to show off the system and a funny film to boot.

The best 3D effects I have actually seen in a film is probably the bridge disaster sequence at the begining of Final Destination 5. The rest of the film doesn't really have many 3d effects though. It's also not particularly a good film so you might just want to rent it unless you're a fan of the series.

Dredd is a must.

Obviously Avatar is a no brainier too.

Comment

I love HtTYD, I've seen it so many times and it still warms my heart

Picked up Kung Fu Panda today with the $5 off "DVD recycle" promo (gave them an old ex-rental copy of Spirit). Might get KFP2 next week.

Anyone got views on the Toy Story 3D versions?

Comment

well i saw toy story 3 in 3d and to be honest i dunno if it was just the cinema but there was hardly any actual 3d (the cartoon before night and day had tons)

i thought shrek forever after had some pretty cool 3d moments

got to be honest when i got dragged to titanic rerelease the 3d was a lot better then i was expecting

Comment

Kung Fu Panda was pretty sweet, only really a few stand out 3d moments though.

Monsters Inc is the only 3d bluray I have that hasn't been watched yet so that one will be on this week I think.

Still tempted by Jurassic Park...

Comment

Megamind was meant to male good use of the 3D without ramming it into your retina

Comment

The Wreck-It-Ralph 3D blu-ray is pretty good. Not quite as in your face as I thought it would be but nice. In fact, I haven't gotten a 3D film that's really extreme yet. Transformers Dark of the Moon is about as 3D-y as my collection gets (yes, I am a little embarrassed to have that in there).
                  Last edited by Wil; 10-05-2013, 08:11.

Comment

Where's the cheapest place to get blu-rays? Fancy building my 3d collection

Comment

Yeah I agree about Wreck-It-Ralph, I remember enjoying the FPS and racing scenes in that when I saw it.

I think I should watch Brave again as I actually turned the 3D off the first time I saw it. With an active 3D set I found it to be far too dark at times. Now I'm on a passive set I'm hoping it's better.

TF3 in 3D was pretty sweet I thought, much better use of the effect than Thor (although the wormhole sections were well done). I don't see TF3 in your collection as embarrassing. As long as you've destroyed your copy of the 2nd movie...

Comment

Yeah Transformers 3 is overlong, and still has some not funny attempts at humour, but it's a lot better than the third film. The second half is actually really good, it's just a shame it takes so long to get to it. The 3D is decent, especially considering its a post conversion job.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoxon View Post
                          Yeah Transformers 3 is overlong... but it's a lot better than the third film.

Comment

Hugo 3D, Titanic and Ghosts of the Abyss (the james cameron titanic documentary) are shining examples. You won't get better than these and whats already been mentioned.

Comment

Bought and watched Epic the other day. Effects are good without being overly in your face.
                              Finally watched Avatar in 3D at home and it really is better than in 2D.
                              Monsters Inc wasn't really much of an improvement. The opening was cool though, as was the door warehouse near the end.

Wreck It Ralph remains my most watched 3D Bluray.
                              Last edited by kryss; 29-08-2013, 15:50.

Comment

Working...
                              X