Kerbal Space Program (PC,XBOX,PS4) review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kerbal Space Program (PC,XBOX,PS4) review

Kerbal Space Program is an indie game that is currently in development, it's ?17.99 on Steam.

Basically you build space Rockets and launch them into space.
    You start off with a Spore like editor and you strap together your rockets fuel tanks and other bits and bobs and take to the launch pad.

I've already had hours of fun just trying to get my little space guy into space, I have yet to successfully do it.
    My rockets usefully have wink links and the engines are so powerful they just fly off in different directions like multi million dollar fireworks. If that doesn't happen I just get so far and run out of fuel.

A few times I forgot to add a parachute to the landing pod and my little guy just hurtled down to earth on fire and died.

Poor fellow

One day I will get a rocket of my own design into space, but until that day, many poor souls will probably lose their life.

What I love the most is making rockets in stages, you can design your rockets in intricate detail should you want, you can jettison spent boosters, engines and fuel tanks should you design your rocket correctly. A few times I put the trigger to eject the engines before the trigger to ignite them, so I would press space bar and the engines would fall off before I had actually made use of them!

A few times I actually put the engine ignition after the clamp release on the towers on the launch pad, so my rocket would literally just fall over like a tall tree.

I think I'm only scratching the surface, quite literally, I can see components for Satellites, Space stations and even lunar landers. The most recent update actually added a runway and the ability to create space planes as well as rockets.

I've used one of the pre built ships and have got the guys into space, you can go really go crazy and plan an orbit around the earth. There are other planets that orbit around the earth and you can even plan a whole space mission and try to land on them, returning is probably another thing all together.
    I'd love to see them add in a mission where there is an asteroid you can land on.

You can launch pieces of space station and using crazy planning your could even construct a space station bit by bit using dockable components and you would have to manually plug together thrusters and manual flight control. The options are mind boggling.

At the moment there are no real scenarios or objectives built into the game, so it's very much a crazy space sandbox.
    Once I've got the hang of it, I fancy launching a rescue mission for some little guy i'm going to launch into space and abandon.

It's actually a pretty intense simulation, but it's kind of dressed up in a very charming fashion.
    What's really cool is that it is a work in progress, so each updates makes things better and adds even more options.

Here is a video of someone building a very straightforward rocket and launching it to another planet, landing and having a little walk around and then getting back!
    Last edited by EvilBoris; 02-05-2013, 22:21.

Started playing this again last night , they've added in a career mode.

I finally managed to get a manned rocket into orbit for a few days then brought it back down to the planet. Yay

Comment

I launched a ship into orbit, but stupidly gave myself no fuel to enable myself to break free from this orbit.

Even more stupidly I jump out of the command pod and am now floating around in space about 300m from the pod, it's just like Gravity.

Comment

Try throwing something in the opposite direction to the one you want to go.

Comment

I had no idea that this was available on PS4 and Xbox One (since 2016!). Although absent from EU store. Always wanted to give it a go too.

Comment

Yeah, it's been out for a year or 2 on Xbox, I think it came to PS4 later.

It just got a big update and is now called Kerbal : Enhanced edition

Comment

Anyone tried a console version? How well does it run and control?

Comment

I just updated to the enhanced edition, but it still feels like im playing a school lesson, aahhhhh, games are supposed to be fun.

I just cannot get to grips with this at all, as much as I tried , it controls better now but is still best suited to PC in my opinion.

Comment

If people haven't tried this, definitely give it a go. I lost months of my life to it. One of the few games I've ever played which was as educational as it was fun, without compromising on either.

Comment

Enhanced edition is out this week on the UK PS store apparently.

Comment

OUT NOW!

£32.99

In Kerbal Space Program, take charge of the space program for the alien race known as the Kerbals. You have access to an array of parts to assemble fully-functional spacecraft that flies or doesn’t based on realistic aerodynamic and orbital physics. Launch your Kerbal crew into orbit and beyond whilst keeping them alive to explore moons and planets in the Kerbol solar system, constructing bases and space stations to expand the reach of your expedition. Key Features • Build spaceships, rockets, and vehicles using a massive collection of parts. • Construct space stations, massive starships, and surface bases on new planets. • Send your Kerbal crewmembers into space to become heroes. • Three game modes Science, Career, and Sandbox. • Discover a whole star system with unique moons and planets. • Research and develop new technologies, and much more Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition is optimised for console players, featuring a completely reworked user interface and new controls. This product supports the following languages English

Comment

Oooh a bit pricey for a risk. Will have to wait until a price drop . Saving my full price gaming purchase for Monster Hunter World.

Comment

for Xbox people it works out as £23 from the Canada store

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...5)(2907108)()()

I should have a look at it really, I played a fair bit on Xbox one where it felt just as janky and poorly performing as the PC version on my laptop, which I suppose is to be expected as it was an early access game from an indie team, running on unity, on an Xbox One.. Never made it to the moon.

the enhanced edition includes 3 new controller schemes specific to the controller, I never found it too problematic, but I imagine as your craft get more complex, having quick access to certain functions became more problematic, so this might help with that.

It should run a fair bit better on the X, I should have a look.
                          Last edited by EvilBoris; 16-01-2018, 20:32.

Comment

Working...
                          X