PTE38: A Swift One at the (Re)pub(lic)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PTE38: A Swift One at the (Re)pub(lic)

Another anniversary this year, this is the tenth anniversary of the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series. Series tie in action RPGs which upon release were highly throught of and fans everywhere still look back on fondly and pray for a true sequel.

We'll include the MMO which is set in the same universe but did you like the games back in their heyday, would a sequel appeal and what are your memories of this Star Wars series?

So which was best?

-Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
    -Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II
    -Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Last edited by Neon Ignition; 18-04-2013, 09:05.

I'm a big fan of the two KotOR games, haven't played The Old Republic. I would absolutely love a proper new Star Wars roleplaying game, KotOR or something else entirely, preferably made by Obsidian.

As a Star Wars geek and RPG enthusiast, you can imagine my excitement when I first heard that BioWare was making a SW RPG for the Xbox back in 2003. The final game delivered in every way I could have hoped, I loved it. I think I finished the original KotOR four times in total, twice with a light side character and twice with a darksider.

I also really liked KotOR 2 (finished it twice with both sides of the Force) with it's much darker storyline and setting and more interesting characters, although obviously the game was rushed and the ending is disappointing hack n' slash because of this. I probably should play it sometime again with the fan-made PC mod which restores cut content and fixes bugs etc.

I don't think I can really choose which game is the "best", KotOR is more complete and made bigger impact because it was new and original, but KotOR2 is probably my favourite because of the more interesting characters and setting (Nar Shaddaa FTW).
    Last edited by Guts; 18-04-2013, 13:59.

Comment

If memory serves me correctly there was too much rival software out for me to properly get into Kotor2 but the original was fascinating at the time. After the glut of jrpgs in the PS1 post FFVII years KOTOR felt like the RPG world was moving forward, the prequel universe was also brilliantly realised, far more so than in Eps I-III. Travelling from world to world with that mix of turn based and action gameplay kept me feeling involved enough to be making a difference rather than passively involved, the setting playing a massive part as Jade Empire failed to win me over at all.

Comment

These thread titles are getting worse and worse.

Comment

KotOR is absolutely amazing, one of my top 10 games ever. KotOR 2 is pretty great too. I'd love to see obsidian have a crack at another one. I don't think Bioware could do one these days due to the vice grip EA have them in. A KotOR sequel made by the Bioware around the time they made ME1 would have been amazing though...

Also the Old Republic is really good - fantastic even. Too many people dismiss it out of hand. I think it fails as an MMO, but the story content is really amazing the writing, characters and story are all top notch. I would have preferred it if it was a single player game though!

Comment

The Old Republic is amazing. Free to play now too. I belive it to be very much part of the series. It's has the same feel, although it doesn't play exactly the same it's not really that far off.

Any fan of the series should play it.

Comment

Working...
            X