• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1945 - 1948 India Indian Riots and Independence
    1945 - 1948 Palestine Events in Palestine and the formation of Israel
    1948 - 1960 Malaya Malaya Emergency
    1949 - 1989 Europe The Cold War
    1950 - 1957 Korea A Police Action it was called. But not by the troops there.
    1951 - 1954 Canal Zone The Suez Canal Zone
    1952 - 1960 Kenya Hunting The Mau Mau
    1955 - 1959 Cyprus Fighting EOKA (UN forces involved since 1963 to present. British troops wear the UN beret)
    1964 - 1967 Aden The Barren Rocks of Aden
    1964 - 1967 Radfan Into The Hills
    1956 Suez Britain and France react to Egypt taking control of The Canal
    1962 - 1966 Borneo The War Against Sukarno
    1962 - 1975 Vietnam It is generally thought that Britain took no part in the conflict but Commonwealth troops were there.
    British troops were there in 1945 as the area was then known as Indochina.
    1969 - Present N.I. The "Troubles"
    1969 - 1976 Oman Dhofar
    1982 Falklands To free the Islands
    1991 Gulf War To free Kuwait
    1992 Bosnia
    1999 Kosovo Back to the Balkans
    2000 Sierra Leone
    2001 - Present Afghanistan The War on Terror
    2003 - 2009 Iraq Return to the Gulf

I fail to see the mega bucks the above British intervention since 45, has created. Most of it was defense of British teritory, opposing aggression or peacekeeping roles.

Comment

Defense of British territory? See, that alone makes me laugh. The British have Britain, that's our territory, anything else we claim as Britush territory was stolen, probably by force.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie View Post
        Defense of British territory? See, that alone makes me laugh. The British have Britain, that's our territory, anything else we claim as Britush territory was stolen, probably by force.
        Thats from the past. There are colonies all over the world Dutch, Spanish, etc from age old conquests and conflicts. Surely a line has been drawn now? I doubt Britain could 'take over' a country now and claim it as British sovereignty?
        Last edited by dvdx2; 17-04-2013, 19:13.

Comment

They probably would if they could get away with it.

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
            1945 - 1948 India Indian Riots and Independence
            1945 - 1948 Palestine Events in Palestine and the formation of Israel
            1948 - 1960 Malaya Malaya Emergency
            1949 - 1989 Europe The Cold War
            1950 - 1957 Korea A Police Action it was called. But not by the troops there.
            1951 - 1954 Canal Zone The Suez Canal Zone
            1952 - 1960 Kenya Hunting The Mau Mau
            1955 - 1959 Cyprus Fighting EOKA (UN forces involved since 1963 to present. British troops wear the UN beret)
            1964 - 1967 Aden The Barren Rocks of Aden
            1964 - 1967 Radfan Into The Hills
            1956 Suez Britain and France react to Egypt taking control of The Canal
            1962 - 1966 Borneo The War Against Sukarno
            1962 - 1975 Vietnam It is generally thought that Britain took no part in the conflict but Commonwealth troops were there.
            British troops were there in 1945 as the area was then known as Indochina.
            1969 - Present N.I. The "Troubles"
            1969 - 1976 Oman Dhofar
            1982 Falklands To free the Islands
            1991 Gulf War To free Kuwait
            1992 Bosnia
            1999 Kosovo Back to the Balkans
            2000 Sierra Leone
            2001 - Present Afghanistan The War on Terror
            2003 - 2009 Iraq Return to the Gulf

I fail to see the mega bucks the above British intervention since 45, has created. Most of it was defense of British teritory, opposing aggression or peacekeeping roles.
            What about when we trained and supported Pol Pot's Khmer Rouge?

Comment

Not quite, no. Those in the navy, airforce and military are sometimes called on to aid people during disasters, but when they kill people under order then they're no better than so-called terrorists.
              Lol poppycock

A little part of Plymouth every 8 weeks plays the part of an earthquake zone where we train in disaster relief (distex)

But for the rest we are bound by the geneva convention and most if not all personnel do not take any pride in taking a life but if you are being shot at then you will return fire and that's life preservation and rules follow

If you're being shot at or a colleague is In Danger of death then maximum force an be used

If however you are being shot at and by the time you've brought up your weapon and had the chance to issue a challenge and they have stopped firing or put down their weapon then all you can do is use minumum force and we in the forces are bound by JSP385 and will be prosecuted to the fullest if its abused

I have never taken a life but I've been onboard ships that have fired and I have made ready my rifle and had it pointed at the head of a driver that went through a checkpoint

To say we are as bad as terrorists is vile and without the forces you probably would be speaking German so have a little gratitude

Comment

Originally posted by dvdx2 View Post
                Thats from the past. There are colonies all over the world Dutch, Spanish, etc from age old conquests and conflicts. Surely a line has been drawn now? I doubt Britain could 'take over' a country now and claim it as British sovereignty?
                Modern law dates that the sovereignty of a country is deemed who it's 'attached to' but for example the treaty of Utrecht gave Gibraltar sovereignty to the UK something the Spanish contest every day even when 99% of the Gibraltarians voted to remain British and lets not even talk about the Falkland Islands

When I was working in Gibraltar for a couple of years the Spanish sent a fleet of ships to a small island just off the coast of Morocco because some Moroccans claimed it to be theirs

Since you are so flower power, greenpeace can be just as bloody annoying as bloody terrorists with the shenanigans they get upto

Comment

Originally posted by buster_broon View Post
                  Modern law dates that the sovereignty of a country is deemed who it's 'attached to' but for example the treaty of Utrecht gave Gibraltar sovereignty to the UK something the Spanish contest every day even when 99% of the Gibraltarians voted to remain British and lets not even talk about the Falkland Islands

When I was working in Gibraltar for a couple of years the Spanish sent a fleet of ships to a small island just off the coast of Morocco because some Moroccans claimed it to be theirs

Since you are so flower power, greenpeace can be just as bloody annoying as bloody terrorists with the shenanigans they get upto
                  Not me thats flower power Jason

Comment

I'd prefer a world where everybody dropped LSD, put flowers in their hair, and, when not meditating, skipped around everywhere raising their hands in the peace symbol. In my mind that's what's going on.
                    Oh, so your one of those are you, bury your head in the sand and get wankered on whatever drugs you can get (or blame it all on "the man"), nice attitude.

Mean while in the real world people like buster, not to mention some of my family, friends and loads of my good customers, are around working hard, making sure people like yourself can be defended when need be and have the right to say things like that, on a nice open internet, in a nice free economy country, with nice things like free health care (after your tax of course ).

I honestly can not stand listening to bleating little lambs like yourself, constantly whinging about how unfair this or that is. Luckily this forum has a nice block list, so your going on it so i don't have to.

Comment

Charlie would get eaten by the morlocks

Comment

Charlie would get eaten by a peacock.

Comment

Well clearly both the morlocks and the peacock would have first been eaten by Hitler. Then Hitler would have eaten Charlie. Good ol' Hitler, eh? How would we possibly justify killing without him?

Comment

I thought he was a vegetarian?

Comment

He ate carrots' babies!

Comment

So what about when we trained and helped one of the world's most brutal dictators Pol Pot? Was that in line with the Genvena convention?

Who tells the armed forces what to do by the way?

Comment

Working...
                                X