No announcement yet.

Manned Mission to Mars in 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They still get exposed to radiation as there is no way to totally protect against it, if you're not careful blocking the radiation in a controlled way it has a side effect of creating additional secondary radiation as the particles break down.

Annoyingly humans are rather fragile in this respect regarding exposure to radiation, we know how it works. We know how to use it for power & for war, what we lack is how to deal with the waste. Just burying it seems crazy, time they started to work out how to break it down to safer things before they decide to properly use it. Until it's use & control is mastered theres no way proper space exploration can happen. Unless they find a way to cure all forms of cancer.
    Last edited by importaku; 02-03-2013, 16:02.

Comment

Yeah, radiation is a huge hazard in space. All astronauts have an increased chance of developing cancer, but whoever goes to Mars will be at an even greater risk as they will be subjected to radiation for 24 hours a day for 500 days. In comparison, those aboard the ISS - which orbits the Earth every 90 minutes in a 45 minute day/45 minute night cycle - are shielded behind the Earth half the time they're up there.

Comment

even if they manage to create sufficient shielding against the radiation, won't the astronauts bodies be an absolute mess anyway coping with that long of a journey?

I remember reading about people who spent months in space coming back with muscle wasting problems, an increase in height which had it's own issues, difficulty being able to balance, and something about seeing lights whenever they closed their eyes - think that was a radiation issue.

Comment

Yeah, muscle wastage is another problem. Basically, whoever puts themselves forward for the Mars trip should expect to pay the price with poor health.

Comment

The guys and gals in the ISS have to take frequent excercise to stave off muscle wastage. The trendy vibrating platform machines you see in gyms these days are derived from research carried out on the Mir space station which was aimed at combating muscle wastage.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit View Post
              even if they manage to create sufficient shielding against the radiation, won't the astronauts bodies be an absolute mess anyway coping with that long of a journey?

I remember reading about people who spent months in space coming back with muscle wasting problems, an increase in height which had it's own issues, difficulty being able to balance, and something about seeing lights whenever they closed their eyes - think that was a radiation issue.
              I remember reading about people who spent months in space coming back with various issues including turning invisible, becoming stretchy, spontaneously combusting and turning to orange stone.

Comment

Its nice idea but such a shame we cant pull together and land on mars , and attempt to safely return .

Speaking of mars i heard a huge comet may hit mars next year ( or likely just wizz past close ) ,

dino killer size and could wipe out our rovers which would be awful.

Comment

Who in their right mind would volunteer to stay in an enclosed space for 500 days with their partner?!?

Comment

Originally posted by yesteryeargames View Post
                    Its nice idea but such a shame we cant pull together and land on mars , and attempt to safely return .

Speaking of mars i heard a huge comet may hit mars next year ( or likely just wizz past close ) ,

dino killer size and could wipe out our rovers which would be awful.
                    The current Rover isn't moving and is in safe mode waiting for a firmware update isn't it? when I read about it last weekend it had developed a few software troubles recently.

Comment

I'd volunteer to go to Mars, then just as we'd left, I'd remember that I'd left the light on in the loft, I'd not returned a library book, I'd forgotten the charger for my mobile, left a fork in the knife drawer and I *might* have left the front door unlocked.

I'd insist that we go back and check.

Comment

You know what'd be awkward? If they filed for divorce after a month...

Comment

They couldn't exactly argue over not tidying up/leaving the toilet seat up etc etc etc.
                          Sure the fairer sex would find something to complain about though....

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                            I'd volunteer to go to Mars, then just as we'd left, I'd remember that I'd left the light on in the loft, I'd not returned a library book, I'd forgotten the charger for my mobile, left a fork in the knife drawer and I *might* have left the front door unlocked.

I'd insist that we go back and check.
                            NORWEB would've assumed power by the time you got back.

Comment

I can't really see the point myself if they are not going to land ... I think that is what would depress me the most, spending that much time in space to just come back again.

I can see this turning into some sort of Big Brother media event though.

Comment

Probably.

Wonder if Gran Turismo 6 will be released by 2018.

Comment

Working...
                                X