Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Donkey Kong Country ICE CREAM - remember it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donkey Kong Country ICE CREAM - remember it?

Sometime after DKC came out, there was a novelty ice cream on a stick. Chocolate, strawberry and banana flavoured. Soft, dairy ice-cream. Probably the nicest ice-cream I've ever had. Sold in the UK.

After eating it, there was the potential to find a prize coupon on the stick, where you could win a SNES with copy of the game.

Anyone else remember this? I've searched online, but I can't even find photos of it - anywhere! Oh my god, the blend of choc, strawberry and banana was out of this world, combining into an eclectic medley that worked so well. Best of all though:
    THE ICE CREAM ITSELF WAS IN THE SHAPE OF DONKEY KONG'S HEAD!!!

I liked to start with the ears, then work my way on to the eyes, leaving the lips for last.

It occurred to me, that like Digitiser and Steam games you can't resell, this was something finite. You had to be there experiencing it new to know it. Best ice-cream ever, but now it exists only in our memories. Reminds me of that sad bit at the end of the Road Warrior film.

Unless someone bought one in 1995, and kept it in their freezer for the last 18 years.

I will pay ONE MILLION POUNDS to the one who can provide me with the last DKC ice-cream on Earth, still frozen and sealed and ready to eat.*

* this is a lie, I won't give you anything. But a photo would be cool, as would a Youtube video of the unwrapping and eating.
    Last edited by Sketcz; 09-02-2013, 08:56.

I bet there is an underground black market for such things. Don't get in too deep.

Comment

I remember them

It had a little donkey kong quiff. I remember there being Turtles ones too that were very similar.

Comment

Yes! The chocolate flavoured hair quiff!

Do you have photos, though? I dug out an old DKC comic I bought in the 1990s (Summer Special - about 100 pages?), hoping to find an ad for it. But alas no. Ads for other DKC stuff, but not the ice cream.

I'm surprised, you can find pics online of the older ice-lolly (presumably a US thing), but not the DKC item. It reminds me though of the finite nature of things. Presumably much like those ltd eds of Kit Kats in Japan. Around for a season, then gone forever. The key thing here being that it was a damned nice ice-cream. Not just just a cheap and nasty cash-in. It was tasty and well made!

Comment

I had a Donkey Kong Country Giant inflatable Bananna. It may of been something I sent off for free with those icecreams.

Comment

I've found a picture that contains the quiff!

Comment

Noooooooooo

Comment

LOL classic bait & switch

Comment

It wasn't deliberate, I have been googling like a mad man. I've only found about 3 mentions of the ice cream on the entire of the internet

Comment

Closer! Made by Walls!

What I have discovered is that Popsicle, who made all of those Mario ones and Jimmy Neutron (BASTARD!) are owned by Unilever, as are Walls. They have an archive just down the road from me as well! Maybe I can go and dig out some info about them.
                    I'd ask my girlfriend, but she won't be too impressed as he didn't get a job she wanted there and now has a hatred of unilever.
                    Last edited by EvilBoris; 09-02-2013, 11:12.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post
                      It wasn't deliberate, I have been googling like a mad man. I've only found about 3 mentions of the ice cream on the entire of the internet
                      I know, just thought it was hillarious. I thought ooh jackpot then i saw the second pic

Comment

****, yeah, I remember them. I only had one or two, mind.

Comment

Originally posted by EvilBoris View Post

I laughed pretty hard at that. Fooled me too.

To be honest, Kong's head was pretty bulbous. I wouldn't be surprised if they used the same outer shell mould/casing, and just altered the interior which deposited the different flavours.

I recall eating quite a few on the beach during the summer, but I'm fairly sure the family didn't snap any photos of it.

It's a pity I didn't keep one of the wrappers. I kept so much other junk from over the years.

EDIT:
                          We appear to be the only google hit with speech marks.

EDIT2:
                          TMNT!

EDIT3:
                          SONIC THE HEDGEHOG!

OK, **** just got serious. I will paypal gift $1 to the man or woman who provides me with a photo of DKC ice cream.

I'm not even joking.

EDIT4:
                          The inflatable banana!

Last edited by Sketcz; 09-02-2013, 15:26.

Comment

I'm subcontracting people to find these!

Comment

Haha! I see what you did.

Also, his eyes went a bit weird, didn't they?

Comment

Working...
                              X