Nvidia Project Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia Project Shield

Nvidia has announced plans to produce its own hand-held video-games console.

Project Shield is Android-based and marries a 5in (12.7cm) touch-screen with joysticks, buttons and other controls, in a clam-shell design.

It is also designed to link to PCs offering access to more powerful games such as those on the Steam library.

Chip manufacturer Nvidia plans to release its own hand-held video-games console that can run Android titles and stream software from a PC.

Also on EG.

Sony could have beaten them with Vita remote play to PS3/PC but looks like they will not be first out after all.

Day 1 purchase for me. (Have a good internet connection, so very keen to try this, even on the sofa!)

Comment

Originally posted by capcom_suicide View Post
      Sony could have beaten them with Vita remote play to PS3/PC but looks like they will not be first out after all.
      Remote Play to PS3 has been out for ages.

Interesting, but it looks like a sofa-only console to me. It's more unwieldy than a GamePad.
      Kept you waiting, huh?

Comment

have to say when i think android i dont think games but my current phone cannot run anything above angry birds so not really checked what games have been out the past year or two

Friend of mine had a tablet running android and i was really impressed with the emulators it was running

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
          Remote Play to PS3 has been out for ages.

Interesting, but it looks like a sofa-only console to me. It's more unwieldy than a GamePad.
          Only on a small number of games though:

With CFW you can play **any** PS3 or PC games. Sony should have been faster to provide the same.

Comment

The actual device looks ridiculous. Spec seems good though.

Comment

Yep spec sounds good but Christ its ugly. In the demo video the sticks seem really unresponsive as well.

Comment

Good spec, like the Steam streaming stuff, but WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

In terms of design it looks appalling.

Comment

Shame really ... will get an Archos Gamepad and wait for version 2 (with a 7 inch screen), when it finally arrives. Nice idea but just doesn't look the part to me.

Comment

None of this streaming from PC stuff, or even the WiiU thing for that matter, gels with the claim that people don't want to play full TV games on a handheld (which gets trotted out in relation to the PSP and Vita). And am I understanding correctly that this streaming isn't really portable beyond the house you're in anyway? I'm missing something here. I can understand it being totally awesome to have a handheld that runs full PC games but not one that I can't have somewhere else and need to be near my switched-on PC.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
                      Shame really ... will get an Archos Gamepad and wait for version 2 (with a 7 inch screen), when it finally arrives. Nice idea but just doesn't look the part to me.
                      Really, have you read the reviews for the Archos, it can't even run a lot of the games.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
                        Really, have you read the reviews for the Archos, it can't even run a lot of the games.
                        I dont see why not ... its got enough grunt to run them so whats the issue?

Comment

Now i've bought a 360 i'll l probably punt mine, but the gamepad runs all the big android games like Shadow gun (which was ace to play on the system) flawlessly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                            None of this streaming from PC stuff, or even the WiiU thing for that matter, gels with the claim that people don't want to play full TV games on a handheld (which gets trotted out in relation to the PSP and Vita). And am I understanding correctly that this streaming isn't really portable beyond the house you're in anyway? I'm missing something here. I can understand it being totally awesome to have a handheld that runs full PC games but not one that I can't have somewhere else and need to be near my switched-on PC.
                            I would have agreed with yuo before the WiiU came out, but you know what its strange, I will admit I probably play on my WiiU as much on the gamepad screen as on the TV. Depends what mood im in, I dont needto fight over anyone else regarding TV / Projector use so in reality I should just be using one of those. However sometimes I just want to play a game on the Gamepad, can;t really explain it, but it just works.

Comment

The WiiU pad runs the concept brilliantly, there's a def appeal to using it but I wouldn't buy a system purely off that feature, its like an excellent perk rather than a system selling function. All these android based consoles are going to be RIP before year end. Too weak a concept with too many coming to market.

Comment

Working...
                              X