No announcement yet.

Nvidia Project Shield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If I could play Dragon Age or Demon's Souls or Borderlands 2 on my Vita I would. I *do* want full console style games on my portable. I'm not interested in just killing time.

Comment

Originally posted by originalbadboy View Post
      I dont see why not ... its got enough grunt to run them so whats the issue?
      I don't know really, the store flags them as incompatible.

An Android tablet with physical gaming controls - is it a match made in heaven? Digital Foundry investigates.

Comment

Originally posted by Baseley09 View Post
        I don't know really, the store flags them as incompatible.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df...gamepad-review
        Well that's a compatibility issue which could be easily solved once the device is rooted, as its just a matter of changing the build.prop file. Also its down to the developers to update their games on GP to make sure they refelect new hardware coming to the market. That's not really Archos's fault, and can happen with any new android hardware.

Comment

Woah, all that money and the actual device itself still looks an absolute state!

Comment

I like the idea of this machine. What I also like is the increase in competition. Brings back the 90's where different companies were dishing out their own versions of handhelds and normal consoles. Good stuff. The Shield looks like it's a hefty console and the control scheme is simple but sufficient.

Comment

FTL in bed? Life over.

Looks hilariously awful, though. Why do PC accessory manufacturers always seem to go for that black and green colour scheme? Not everybody has a desk full of Razer tat and a massive window on the side of their PC to show off tasteless neon lighting.

Comment

Looks like it would go beautifully with the original XBox. Surely that's a good thing, right?

Comment

I'm not getting this Shield concept. It's a PC peripheral that allows you to play your PC games on a smaller screen than you already own. Games which were not designed with a small screen in mind.
                  As you need to be near your PC anyway you could just play the game on your PC.

And Android compatible devices are hardly novel. Look at the Ouya and Gamestick not to mention the tons of phones running some form of Android.

This Project Shield strikes me as a tech demo which offers a solution to a question no one asked.

Comment

I quite like the idea, I've been experimenting with getting this to work in a ropey fasion on my ipad. I tend to do lots of my gaming very casually whilist watching TV with my girlfriend,
                    Big games need powerful graphics cards and a huge box fll of fans and then a huge screen on a stupid stand connected by a cable.
                    Alternatively you can get a hulking great gaming Laptop, which will get so hot it will burn your legs and crush your thight bones under it's weight. Even after you've spent ?1500 you still won't get the performance of a PC half it's price.

This can be a box under your staircase should you so wish and you then have a tiny handheld machine that is showing you graphics of a crazy beast machine.

I'll have to buy an NVidia GPU though. doh.

or maybe one of their new super computer towers that have 700 times the power of an xbox 360, just like PS3!
                    Last edited by EvilBoris; 07-01-2013, 20:14.

Comment

Originally posted by CMcK View Post
                      I'm not getting this Shield concept. It's a PC peripheral that allows you to play your PC games on a smaller screen than you already own. Games which were not designed with a small screen in mind.
                      As you need to be near your PC anyway you could just play the game on your PC.
                      Which is the same concept as the WiiU , which does work ... Not seeing your point there ...

A couple of videos here ...

The Verge is about technology and how it makes us feel. Founded in 2011, we offer our audience everything from breaking news to reviews to award-winning features and investigations, on our site, in video, and in podcasts.

The thing is way too small ... It has duelshockitous sadly where the analogue sticks are way too close together. As soon as you are pushing right on the left stick and left on the right stick thats it .. thumbs meet = loss of control ...

It needs to be 7 inchs with a less cramped controller and actually a decent price , then I might consider it.

Comment

How big are your hands!?

This differs from the WiiU pad in that it can actually play games more than 10 metres from the mothership. The streaming from home PC thing is just a kind of extra feature beyond the Portable Android Gameboy thing isn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by FSW View Post
                          How big are your hands!?

This differs from the WiiU pad in that it can actually play games more than 10 metres from the mothership. The streaming from home PC thing is just a kind of extra feature beyond the Portable Android Gameboy thing isn't it?
                          They are fairly big ... but analogues are way too close even for smaller hands, you can see in the video on that site that there is going to be thumb contact ...

Was just responding to CMcK's comments thats all , obviously first and foremost its a handheld, so yeah its better than the Gamepad in that respect of course.

Comment

They do look very close. Closer than the Dual Shocks (which I've never had a problem with hence my question!)

Also, my seocnd bit was responding to CMcK too. I must learn to be clearer in what I write.

Comment

Assuming the sticks are the same size, they are the same distance apart as Dual Shock.

The rest of the pad is considerable bulkier than a Dual Shock, in fact it's quite a bit bigger than the 360 pad, so any perception of the sticks being closer is merely an optical illusion.

Comment

nvidia were talking about something else aswell for pc gamers (cannot find the link) but it was something along the lines of making it simpler for pc gamers rather then having a wealth of options for v-sync/texture details etc you just press a button and it optimises it for whatever pc you have.

Good in theory only problem is personal preferences some may be willing to take a frame rate hit for certain effects and for me i MUST have v-sync as screen tearing irritates me

Comment

Working...
                                X