Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Films Have You Watched This Week - The Sequel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought it was some sort of moral issue - it's ok for them to kill themselves, but not each other.

Comment

They're drug-addled mobsters killing people, no-questions-asked, disposing of the bodies, then celebrating with whores, booze and more drugs whilst ignoring the issue of poverty all around them.

They never struck me as particularly "moral", Chaz.

Besides, they're already screwing each other over and selling their friends out, why should it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
        Fright Night was a lot of fun and I think most of the actors seemed to be enjoying it, especially David Tennant.
        I'm not a fan of remakes, generally, but although the original was pretty good, it's not sacred enough to avoid being remade and I think they did a pretty good take on it.
        Yeah I would have to agree that Fright Night was actually a decent remake, was a surprise really.
        What other remakes/reboots are any good? I was thinking about this last night and remembered the Dawn of the Dead remake being a great watch.
        Obviously John Carpenters "The Thing" would be a good mention too.

Comment

yes, but not the Mary elizabeth prequel **** that followed it

Comment

There's The Fly. Scarface. Invasion of the Bodysnatchers (Sutherland one). There are some great remakes but most you have to go back 20-30 years to find and were made during a time when remakes weren't being churned out in their hundreds as a symptom of creative bankruptcy.

Comment

I said this in the Robocop remake thread:
              Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
              To clarify, are you asking which remakes are better than the original, or which remakes of 80s films are better than the original?
              If it's 80s-only, there aren't many!
              Piranha 3D, Fright Night and 21 Jump Street (winner of the official rmoxon best comedy of the last quarter-century award)

I think the main issue with most of the weaker remakes is that they're of already brilliant films that really don't need remaking.
              I'm hoping that as they run out of these titles, they'll turn to the less popular films that could actually benefit from a remake. The ones that were aaaalright, but not brilliant.

Teen Wolf, Cannonball Run, Enemy Mine, Dune, The Last Starfighter, Cherry 2000, Timecop, Brainstorm, Dreamscape, Robot Jox, Freejack, Salute the Jugger, Project X, Flight of the Navigator, Philadelphia Experiment and so on.
              Hollywood keeps wanting to reboot and remake films that don't need reworking.

Some remakes work (nice Empire list here), but of late, all the remakes are of films that don't need it.

Comment

Is there a way to see the full list there without going through 50 pages?

Comment

Originally posted by Dogg Thang View Post
                  Is there a way to see the full list there without going through 50 pages?
                  I thought exactly the same thing, mate.

I skipped to number 1 thinking it might be a summary, but it's Scarface.

It should go in the irk thread. I hate having to work my way through slides. Just put them all on one page.

Back to Looper, I found somebody else a bit disgruntled with the casual skipping past the plot points:

Comment

Originally posted by bash View Post
                    yes, but not the Mary elizabeth prequel **** that followed it
                    I've watched the prequel 3 times since.

First time I hated it.

Second time round I really enjoyed it

Third time I thought it was ace but just let down by the CG; The Thing is simply too quick - it could have owned the whole camp in like one go.

Comment

I dont hate it, I was genuinely all for a prequel that showed the events of the Norwegian camp prior to Carpenters The Thing. However, after watching it, I realised it was simply a pointless flipping remake with tits. As opposed to flipping tits which are rarely pointless.

Comment

Cannonball run and the last star fighter do not need remakes sir so begone with those shenanigans

The thing prequel I enjoyed but it's a shape shifting alien so really what more do you think they can do with the story but I loved how it tied it in with john carpenters the thing

But let's not forget the thing is a remake of an older movie called the thing from another planet which in its own right was taken from Who goes there, the older movie is shown occasionally though daytime tv so it's nothing new

Bit of suspense and superb effects made it special, the prequel has the suspense but the effects aren't as good as rob bottin

Comment

I know Burt Reynolds is irreplaceable, but don't you think the Cannonball Run would be ripe for a remake?

There's nothing really to compete with the Fast & Furious series, so a light-hearted action comedy would be great with upgraded cars.

Kelly Brooke wearing a catsuit whilst driving a Lamborghini Reventon? Iko Uwais in a Mitsubishi?
                          Last edited by QualityChimp; 24-09-2013, 08:38.

Comment

You wouldn't be able to replace the girls in the Lamborghini - 80s magic

Just like Stevie nicks back in the day was incredible

Most of the actors who made that movie are dead and I don't think anyone could replace them

Dom deluise
                            Dean Martin
                            Sammy Davis junior
                            Farrah fawcet
                            Jack Elam

Farrah and Adrienne were just foxes and 20 Kelly brooks just can't touch them, just like the helicopter pilot in the spy who loved me

Wouldn't want smokey and the bandit remade either, maybe I just love the older Burt movies

Closest you would get would be the gumball rally

Comment

Ha ha ha! I think we have a similar taste in women!

I used to have a Starburst annual with some amazing snaps of Caroline Munro and Adrienne Barbeau.

In fact, I still have it, and Ming the Merciless' daughter was hot too...

Comment

Lol looks like we do

Caroline Munro man made that film, Barbara Bach was lovely but every time I watch the spy who loved me I still pause it when she is on screen and taken too soon (in the movie)

Loved the bangles and rumours where they were all men (before the Internet) it didn't phase me

Comment

Working...
                                X