No announcement yet.

The Photography Thread 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a while since I uploaded anything here so here we go.

Today I snook inside an old derelict super market.

saty-01 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-02 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-13 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-03 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-12 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-05 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-04 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-07 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-11 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-10 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-09 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-08 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

saty-06 by Yakum01975, on Flickr

A few pictures from the park near my home

Flower of peace by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Where's my hat by Yakum01975, on Flickr

The high or the low road by Yakum01975, on Flickr

Comment

Good stuff Yakumo, there's a whole scene in the UK for photographing derelict buildings: http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/

Comment

Oh wow, so cool. I just love going to derelict places. I once visited a derelict amusement park complete with rollercoaster cars still on the track, an arcade with dead moldy dirty systems and ghost house that some hobo was living in. The bummer is that I lost all the photos years ago when a Virus killed every JPG and MP3 on the computer.

Comment

Sat on the floor in the front row (fronts rows reserved for "VIP" members as well as "the media") with my 50mm and tried my best to capture some snaps of the masquerade. Battling with not knowing which AF mode to use, which manual settings would be ideal and having to sit on the floor I produced these: Link.

Was a fun experience at least.

Comment

Bought a D610 and 28mm f1.8 in Japan. We went on a visit to Kyoto to see the Sakura, got a lot of 'sugoi' comments re the 200 f2 which goes really well with the 610.
            Kyoto was OK but too many foreigners (tourists) for me!

Comment

Wow, that's some serious kit! Got any pictures to share? 28mm seems like a nice focal length for up close. I find myself walking backwards a lot with my 50mm to fill the frame properly.

Comment

50mm on your Canon is 80mm equivalent though, not really a walkabout lens; 28mm on the D610 is 28mm given it's full frame.

Comment

Yeah, that too. Guess I can't do much about that.

Comment

28mm isn't really all that useful for close-up shots if you're talking macro stuff - the wider you go, getting close up causes perspective distortions. Nice lens for street work.

Comment

Anpanman, how much did that lens set you back? It's some serious kit that's for sure!

Comment

A quick Google suggested a sum of 4 digits, some serious glass.

I've been wondering a few things about camera settings. I've seen many people mention using either manual or aperture priority mode, but I'm not so sure about what aperture priority mode should be used for really. I find myself trying to keep my shutter around 1/60th, my aperture as high as possible and adjusting my ISO in accordance to those things, as I don't trust my ability to hold a camera still.

Am I right in thinking a larger aperture would have a smaller depth of field? A well lit image I saw on Flickr had the aperture around f11 with a fast shutter and low ISO, so no bokeh.

I mean I'm happy using manual but I was wondering if there was a strong reason to use aperture priority?

Comment

Aperture priority allows you to control depth of field and let the camera work out the shutter speed - using exposure compensation where needed. I tend to use my cameras in this mode most of the time with auto ISO (set to max 800 ISO). Higher ISO = more noise = not good; you should be trying to keep your ISO as low as possible really - but if it works for you, go with it.

Large apertures (small f numbers) give shallow depth of field letting in more light, small apertures (large f numbers) larger depth of field letting in less light.
                          Last edited by MartyG; 11-04-2014, 08:08.

Comment

Yeah I try to keep my ISO under 800 where possible.

I just put my 70D in Av and now the dial that used to change aperture appears to be changing my shutter speed, slightly confusing. I guess I'll have to read the manual or something..

Comment

Yeah, the camera is adjusting the shutter speed based on your selected aperture and ISO to get the exposure right for the available light - all part of the Exposure Triangle.

Comment

After having a better play I believe I can see the value in Av now. No more twiddling the dial to adjust the shutter. Seems as if this would be really valuable in good light but perhaps not so much with low light. Guess you can compensate a little for that with ISO though. Still, good to give it a try.

Shutter priority was pretty funky too.

Comment

Working...
                                X