X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radirgy
    Jet Set Radio
    Viewtiful Joe
    Gotcha Force (Thanks for reminding me Kryss)

Comment

Anyone remember a cel-shaded game for the PSX where you played a salaryman having a bad day and you had to do all types of QTE's?

Comment

Incredible Crisis?

I remember it, it's not cel shaded though :P

Comment

That's the one! thanks Boris.

Is it quite an obscure title or am I just showing off my gaming knowledge noobness again?

Comment

I don't think it's that obscure.

Comment

Here's a wiki list of all the cel-shaded video games for anyone interested:

Anyhoo, my TOP 5 would probably look something like this:

-Killer7
              -No More Heroes
              -Jet Set Radio Future
              -Valkyria Chronicles
              -Rogue Galaxy

Other games that didn't make the cut to TOP 5 would include No More Heroes 2, Wild Arms 3, Catherine, GTA Chinatown Wars, Dragon Quest VIII, Okami, Viewtiful Joe and XIII.

And I need to play Windwaker some day...

Comment

Viewtiful Joe
                Rogue Galaxy
                Dragon Quest VIII

they are the only 3 that iv loved but Viewtiful Joe is easily my No 1.

Comment

Ok, I got Crimson Tears, and now I'm angry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kryss View Post
                    There was Robotech: Battlecry on GC/PS2/Xbox and quite fun overall. GC > PS2 of course, and yes I had both.
                    Thanks for clearing up the name, forgot to post again. I think I did bug my friend to buy that for the GC but never played it when he did get it. I know Jet Set Radio wasn't really the first cel shaded game, and I like the effect in general but that game really defines the style for me. Good memories of loading it the first time on the DC and being surprised at the quality as screenshots didn't really convey how good the game was as a complete package.

Comment

I have the Robotech: Battlecry game and it's pretty good! You've got to give a game that lets you transform from a jet into a robot via Gerwalk mode some love!

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Auto Modellista!

I've not played the game, so those who have would probably tell my why it's not been mentioned, but the design remains unique to this day, even after manga-based racers like Initial D have come out.

Comment

Originally posted by QualityChimp View Post
                        I've not played the game, so those who have would probably tell my why it's not been mentioned, but the design remains unique to this day, even after manga-based racers like Initial D have come out.
                        QC, I really looked forward to playing Auto Modellista when it was being previewed before release, it looked amazing. However, when I did play it for a brief time, it seemed to lack the element of fun that most racing games I ever liked had. Someone mentioned on here that an update version with better handling came out, I didn't know that.

Comment

I just got Auto Modellista, having been interested by it's cel-shading since it was released. I just played a bit of it the other day. I'm very picky when it comes to handling in racing games, and there are very few that I like. Gran Turismo for example, I cannot get on with at all, same with Forza. RR4 is my favourite. It has to be easy, smooth, and fun to control. From what I played of Auto Modellista, it isn't. Drifting doesn't really exist in this game (with the cars I played it with), and yet many tracks are made up of a series of hairpin turns which require you to grind to a halt with the brake before setting off again.

The cars do look fantastic, but a lot of the backgrounds look like absolute crap.

It's a crying shame that cel-shading has not been used in more diverse genres like this though.

Comment

Awww, such a shame as it looks brilliant.

The styling means that even though it's last-gen, it doesn't look dated.

All that doesn't mean a thing if it plays bad!
                            *looks at Rise of the Robots*

Comment

Working...
                            X