Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo Wii-U confirmed NOT region-free (unsurprisingly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, mine is soft modded. It started life as a Japanese model and then I changed the dash to USA. I can't see it being quite so easy this time around though with online being much more integrated. But yes, fairly sucky sensible suggestion Dave. Might even be some decent games out by then

Comment

It feels like a step back in time really. I thought the last few years proved to publishers that the best way to combat importing is to ensure timely release dates. As usual, Nintendo are playing catch-up.

As it is, I can't play UK games on my Japanese 3DS, no matter how much Nintendo might want me to. I'm too old to import just for the sake of it, buying domestic is much less hassle (speaking retrospectively, when I lived in the UK). But Nintendo themselves made my 3DS incapable of playing UK games.
      Last edited by sj33; 25-09-2012, 13:00.

Comment

I'm surprised they haven't picked up on the fact this all could be quite lucrative. They already have basic and "premium" console packages, what about a third "importer" package which includes everything the premium does but has no region protection? People already buy the same console twice so they could probably get away with charging an extra ?100 for this third tier edition, maybe more, although clearly the demand would be limited.

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
          I'm surprised they haven't picked up on the fact this all could be quite lucrative. They already have basic and "premium" console packages, what about a third "importer" package which includes everything the premium does but has no region protection? People already buy the same console twice so they could probably get away with charging an extra ?100 for this third tier edition, maybe more, although clearly the demand would be limited.
          Because region locking is there to control who gets what, when and more importantly at what price.

Comment

I totally agree it is a price discrimination method, but for any reason beyond limited production capability and licensing (which doesn't seem to be an issue for Sony, or Nintendo handhelds prior to the 3DS) I don't get why a profit maximising business would go out of their way to control the who and when.

There are some who will always import, why not profit from this?

Comment

It's a tool for local publishers to ensure sales. Smaller publishers are unable to operate globally so if everyone imports from another region before it gets signed locally, a publisher might lose out. However, I think they over estimate the amount of people that can be bothered to import.

Comment

Originally posted by J0e Musashi View Post
                When was the last time any of you bought a current-gen import game anyway? Quit your whining bitches.
                If I buy new video games at all (not often), they're usually from the States, yes.

I'm happy to buy compatible 360 games from the shelf in the UK if I am permitted to but the almighty region locking.

Not a surprising move from them, but no less stupid than before. As usual, if I ever get the console, it'll be the US version. The last Euro console I bought was the original Xbox in 2002 - "fool me once..."
                Last edited by Lyris; 25-09-2012, 15:22.

Comment

Originally posted by charlesr View Post
                  It's a tool for local publishers to ensure sales. Smaller publishers are unable to operate globally so if everyone imports from another region before it gets signed locally, a publisher might lose out. However, I think they over estimate the amount of people that can be bothered to import.
                  Whilst that makes sense I don't really get what is in it for Nintendo/Sony/Microsoft? And it still wouldn't stop them doing my little idea, as the demand would be no different from what it is now (just that those who would normally buy 2 consoles of different region with a small mark up on each, would instead purchase 1 console of all regions with a significant mark up)...

Edit: In fact if they felt demand would be affected, just cap the amount of region free consoles produced.
                  Last edited by koopatroopa90; 25-09-2012, 15:30.

Comment

Originally posted by koopatroopa90 View Post
                    I once paid over ?100 to have a Messiah chip in my PS2 for imports. I would absolutely be willing to pay extra for a region free domestic unit. Quite a lot extra in fact. Would save messing around with different power adapters for a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Sketcz View Post
                      Would save messing around with different power adapters for a start.
                      That's generally not an issue these days though ... Either consoles are universal (PS3) or you can get hold of the UK power brick (360 & Wii) and plug it straight in. It's only 12v in the end.

Comment

Have you tried to buy a replacement 360 Slim brick? Market is flooded with expensive dodgy knock-offs, and it took me AGES to find a guy selling an original. What a hassle.

Comment

It's not that difficult; you go Microsoft support and add one to your basket for ?21.00.

Comment

Working...
                          X