Sony PVM-1442QM monitor + PS1/MD2 RGB question - help an idiot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony PVM-1442QM monitor + PS1/MD2 RGB question - help an idiot

So, I've been looking for a CRT to use with my Playstation and Mega Drive 2 (and probably other consoles in the future - I don't have much faith in my self-control). I have an opportunity to pick up a Sony PVM-1442QM (same as in this ebay listing http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150898536699) for an affordable price from my cousin whose itchy trigger finger has led to him purchasing it without having the space. Seeing pictures around the net of how lovely old systems can look on these old monitors, I'd like to take him up on the offer but I have close to zero knowledge of video standards and whatnot. I've done some googling and managed to confuse myself so I plead for the help of any AV and CRT experts out there -

I already have an RGB scart cable for the MD2 so that's a start (I think). How would I go about playing the consoles on the monitor and what do I need to accomplish this? I'm willing to spend reasonable amounts of money if I need some little box of tricks to make it happen but not XRGB prices. Picture from ebay listing below -

I have a similar (Panasonic) monitor, so what I did was link it up to a SCART router (Holdan HSR-1000), using a SCART to BNC cable (carrying RGB and Composite for the Sync). Alternatively, you can use a normal SCART to Phono type cable and then use Phono to BNC adapters on the monitor.
    Any SCART router will suffice (even the cheap manual ones in Argos and the like), so long as it supports RGB. A separate audio output is recommended so you can use a set of active speakers, or if you prefer the monitor's own internal speaker (they usually sound a bit crap though).

The Composite goes to the 'Ext Sync In' socket and RGB to their corresponding inputs. You then select Ext Sync + RGB input on the monitor and bob's your uncle.
    Last edited by Oldgamingfart; 13-09-2012, 17:41.

Comment

Excellent, thanks a lot for the clear instructions.

When you mention a seperate audio output, do you mean from the console (as I guess the RBG leads carry no audio)? In the case of the Playstation I suppose I can use my early model, but how can I solve this for the Mega Drive or newer model Playstations with only the single AV out? Perhaps I have misunderstood.

EDIT: Actually, Do I take the audio out of the SCART router?
      Last edited by Matt~; 13-09-2012, 21:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt~ View Post
        EDIT: Actually, Do I take the audio out of the SCART router?
        Yes it's recommended the audio is taken from the SCART router. The Holdan router is auto-switching and will automatically switch the audio over to the corresponding source. The same is true of the push-button type ones, but you have to switch each of the SCART inputs over manually.

Also with my setup I have an N64 hooked up to the S-Video port (marked as 'Y/C input' on your photo above). I then have the audio L+R going into one of the non-RGB SCART sockets on the Holdan (using a SCART block). At least that way you can still get audio via the SCART router without having to disconnect and reconnect things.

Comment

Thanks again for the help. That's a great tip with the S-Video and SCART block, I could make use of that with the Japanese 1000 series Playstation I have lying around.

Comment

I just bought a Sony PVM-9041QM. Hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt~ View Post
              Thanks again for the help. That's a great tip with the S-Video and SCART block, I could make use of that with the Japanese 1000 series Playstation I have lying around.
              No problem I find it's best to get everything hooked up in one go, as it can be a bit of a pain having to pull the monitor back out. If you're short on space you can use right-angled BNC adapters, and maybe an angled power cable.

Originally posted by speedlolita View Post
              I just bought a Sony PVM-9041QM. Hehe.
              Time for you to get the camera out and show that baby off!

Comment

Need to faff around with some cables first.

EDIT: Am I correct in assuming mono sound also?

If so I assume I'd need a Female SCART plug hooked up to 5 BNC connectors. Red, blue, green, sync and left audio (mono)?
                Last edited by speedlolita; 14-09-2012, 11:53.

Comment

Yes that's a portable model so it only has a tiny single speaker. For mono sound, the left channel will usually suffice. Alternatively, you can bridge the Left and Right channels into a single channel using a Female to Male Phono Y-adapter.

Note the monitor's audio input is Phono RCA, so your SCART cable would have to be wired up accordingly (ie. x4 BNC's for the picture, and Phono Left & Right for the audio). Something like this would be ideal, if a little pricey.
                  Last edited by Oldgamingfart; 14-09-2012, 13:34.

Comment

I just ordered some BNC connectors and some female SCART plugs. Gonna sacrifice a PS2 composite cable for the wire. I'll not be using external speakers so I'll just wired 5 BNC to the SCART plug.

EDIT: Ah I see I'll need RCA plugs. I figured the BNC input was sound not composite. Silly me.

Comment

Ended up using the existing RCA plugs from the PS2 composite cable, cutting the cable in half and using the composite line for c-sync and the other 3 stranded cable for RGB. Also managed to recycle the ferrite core, dunno if it's making a difference though.

Comment

The OP is one lucky dude to have one of these for retro-gaming. Lovely.

Comment

Just wanted to jump into this thread to say a big thanks to Oldgamingfart. I recently picked up a Sony PVM-2044QM and was at somewhat of a lose when I took a look at the back of it. After reading this thread I picked up a SCART to BNC cable with composite sync for my Scart Commander and it's worked a treat!

Comment

Originally posted by aubtin View Post
                            Just wanted to jump into this thread to say a big thanks to Oldgamingfart. I recently picked up a Sony PVM-2044QM and was at somewhat of a lose when I took a look at the back of it. After reading this thread I picked up a SCART to BNC cable with composite sync for my Scart Commander and it's worked a treat!
                            Nice one

Comment

Just plugged in my japanese PS2 and the picture shakes slightly from left to right. Confused, I've tried twiddling the V-hold and H-cent knobs and they don't have any effect on it. It's been fine with my PAL MD and PlayStation, just tested them again and no shaking... I've noticed the lights next to PAL, SECAM, NTSC and NTSC 4.43 on the front of the monitor never light up, but I didn't expect this to be a symptom of anything more sinister. Anyone have any ideas or experience with this?

Comment

Working...
                              X