Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What NTSC Dreamcast games are non-RGB compatible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Papercut
    Other non-rgb games confirmed by me:

Pop 'n' Music jpn
    Pop 'n' Music 2 jpn
    Pop 'n' Music 3 Append Disk jpn
    Pop 'n' Music 4 Append Disk jpn

(I have another I can't think of right now)

Other non-rgb titles not confirmed by me:

Centipede us
    Coaster Works us
    Elemental Gimmick Gear us
    Gauntlet Legends us
    GunBird 2 us
    Iron Aces us
    Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000 us
    Jet Coaster Dream 2 jpn
    Mortal Kombat Gold us
    Pen Pen Trilcelon us
    Powerstone 2 jpn
    Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear us
    Roadsters us
    Slave Zero us
    Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike us
    Street Fighter Alpha 3 us
    The Grinch us
    Time Stalkers us
    Toy Story 2 us
    World Series Baseball 2002 us

patches are available for almost all of these.
    Interesting.

I just tried the JPN Power Stone 2 and Gunbird 2 discs and they just booted fine in RGB. These are the proper versions as well and not patched ISOs.

Guess Capcom did repress some discs with RGB compatibility which explains why some people have problems with Third Strike and I don't.

Comment

it's also possible that some of those reported non-rgb games were broken iso rips.

Comment

Powerstone 2 jpn and Mortal Kombat 4 usa and Roadsters usa all work with RGB as standard. (Yes I bought MK4 and Roadsters- There are some downsides to being a DC collector )

If anyone has RGB patched versions of

Elemental Gimmick Gear USA
        Skies of Arcadia USA
        PenPen Tricelon USA

Can they please pm me as I would love to buy a copy from you.

There are quite a few others that don't work with RGB:

Stupid Invaders USA
        +others I can't remember

Comment

Originally posted by Kron
          Powerstone 2 jpn and Mortal Kombat 4 usa and Roadsters usa all work with RGB as standard. (Yes I bought MK4 and Roadsters- There are some downsides to being a DC collector )

If anyone has RGB patched versions of

Elemental Gimmick Gear USA
          Skies of Arcadia USA
          PenPen Tricelon USA

Can they please pm me as I would love to buy a copy from you.

There are quite a few others that don't work with RGB:

Stupid Invaders USA
          +others I can't remember
          The big problem with Skies of Arcadia is ripping the game to fit on two CDs. The game uses the complete capacity of 2 GD-ROMs so obviously can't be ripped straight to CD like some smaller games.

Also, on other games that have used capacity greater than a standard CD, downsampling on parts of the game (such as reducing video quality) was used, however, there is nothing on the SOA disc that can be downsampled (all cut scenes are rendered in real time).

If someone ever found a way to get a working ISO of the game, an RGB fix should be pretty straightforward.

Comment

Originally posted by phillai
            Does anyone here know where I can purchase an original RGB re-release of Super Street Fighter 2 X?

I'm pretty desparate for this and I'm not sure how I can tell if someone is selling which version...
            tronic had a few copies, or lik-sang also had them (but they where more expensive).

Comment

The tronix supply is non-rgb, I got one a couple of weeks back.

I personally doubt whether rgb enabled versions of these games were released - why would the publishers bother?

Maybe people have just got confused with talk of rgb patched versions, thinking they were re-release patches rather than iso patches. Also, some people can't tell the difference between rgb and composite video...

The real solution to all of this: patch the DC bios so that it doesn't flag rgb mode as enabled. That way games cannot tell the difference, and don't break when using an rgb cable.

I remember the original DC mods were replacement bioses, but hardly anyone carried them because they contained code ripped off from the official bios. If someone has one of these (or the schematics) and an eeprom programmer, it could be done.

Comment

Originally posted by tankplanker
                Originally posted by phillai
                Does anyone here know where I can purchase an original RGB re-release of Super Street Fighter 2 X?

I'm pretty desparate for this and I'm not sure how I can tell if someone is selling which version...
                tronic had a few copies, or lik-sang also had them (but they where more expensive).
                But there is no guarantee that these are RGB compatible versions. It's all speculation as no one has reported actually playing an official release of the game with RGB.

Comment

/me is invisible.

Comment

/me is invisible.
                    No, just that I'm at work so clicked reply before I saw your post, but then took a bit longer to type the reply as worek stuff needed doing. Come on man, there's 3 minutes between the posts.

No need to be all conspiracy theory.

However, whilst I agree that versions of SSF2X and VC with RGB are not available to by, there is still the fact that you're JPN Gunbird 2 doesn't work via RGB and mine does.

I can tell the difference between RGB and composite and also, the Official Sega SCART Cable that I use, isn't wired up to give a composite picture (switching composite on the switcher box, displays no image whatsoever.

Comment

Sorry I should have made it clear that these are non RGB versions.

And I think I caused the confusion with SF II X MS (not VC MS), as my org. copy is a patched ISO.

But at least owing the orginial copies of the games you can use the patched ISOs with a clear consience.

Comment

I can confirm both Coaster Works and Vanishing Point as being US titles that don't get along with RGB. One of the Sega basketball titles (I think it was 2000) wasn't either, as I found out when I bought the three of them on my hols.

Comment

Originally posted by C'
                          /me is invisible.
                          No, just that I'm at work so clicked reply before I saw your post, but then took a bit longer to type the reply as worek stuff needed doing. Come on man, there's 3 minutes between the posts.

No need to be all conspiracy theory.
                          I realised you hit reply before seeing mine, I was just kidding. I should have added a smiley

Originally posted by C'
                          However, whilst I agree that versions of SSF2X and VC with RGB are not available to by, there is still the fact that you're JPN Gunbird 2 doesn't work via RGB and mine does.
                          I'm not sure about this anymore, I removed it from the list. I may have been thinking about vga, not rgb. I'm going to check this evening. I do have another non-rgb game, but I can't for the life of me think what it is.

Originally posted by C'
                          I can tell the difference between RGB and composite and also, the Official Sega SCART Cable that I use, isn't wired up to give a composite picture (switching composite on the switcher box, displays no image whatsoever.
                          woah, I wasn't talking about (or having a go at) anyone in this thread. I just meant that there have been occasions when people talking about the picture quality of rgb cables have actually been watching composite video...

and thats a very good point, the sega rgb scart cable does't even have composite video, it uses composite sync instead.

besides, given tankplanker's post, it seems more likely people have been confused by reports of rgb support in patched iso versions.

Comment

Expendable (Jap) isn'r RGB either. Don't know about the US version though.

Comment

Illbleed is another none RGB game ft:

Comment

Don't wanna piss Sega off too much as they are one hell of a company...
                                But all this RGB/non RGB is utter bull****.

For example in Japan they released Street Fighter Zero 3 that isn't RGB compatible then a few months down the line they release Street Fighter Zero 3 for Matching Service (which can only be bought thru Sega Direct incidently) which is RGB compatible...

Totally piss me off does this! ft:

Comment

Working...
                                X